• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lets hope the so called 7, stand in a by election rather than under their new banner

Let them lead a new Blairite party, good riddance to them

Those aren't the genuine reasons

Those were the cited reasons. Unless there are/were unscrupulous liars amoung the good ol’ Labour Party?

Hows the song go. Oh Jeremy Corbyn

If you listen to Queen’s song - Flash - and replace the word Flash, with Jez, it comes across as a fair representation of his supporters Feelings towards him.

Jez! Ah-ah
Savior of the universe

Jez! Ah-ah
He'll save everyone of us

Jez! Ah-ah
He's a miracle

Jez! Ah-ah
King of the impossible

He's for every one of us
Stand for every one of us
He saves with a mighty hand
Every man, every woman
Every child, it's the mighty Jez

(Theresa May: What do you mean Jeremy Corbyn approaching?
(Open fire! All weapons!)
(Dispatch war rocket Johnson to bring back his body)

Jez! Ah-ah

(CORBYN’S ALIVE!)

Jez! Ah-ah
He'll save every one of us

Just a man with a man's courage
You know he's nothing but a man
And he can never fail
No one but the pure at heart
May find the Golden Grail
Oh-oh, oh-oh

Those were the cited reasons. Unless there are/were unscrupulous liars amoung the good ol’ Labour Party?

If you listen to Queen’s song - Flash - and replace the word Flash, with Jez, it comes across as a fair representation of his supporters Feelings towards him.

Jez! Ah-ah
Savior of the universe

Jez! Ah-ah
He'll save everyone of us

Jez! Ah-ah
He's a miracle

Jez! Ah-ah
King of the impossible

He's for every one of us
Stand for every one of us
He saves with a mighty hand
Every man, every woman
Every child, it's the mighty Jez

(Theresa May: What do you mean Jeremy Corbyn approaching?
(Open fire! All weapons!)
(Dispatch war rocket Johnson to bring back his body)

Jez! Ah-ah

(CORBYN’S ALIVE!)

Jez! Ah-ah
He'll save every one of us

Just a man with a man's courage
You know he's nothing but a man
And he can never fail
No one but the pure at heart
May find the Golden Grail
Oh-oh, oh-oh
I love Flash Gordon. Ming the Merciless' daughter in particular.

Cox....ah haaaaaaaa....... saviour of the Southend Team
Cox... ah haaaaaaaa....... he'll stop us being relegated!

The irony is that the Brexit referendum was ulimtately called to solve the divisions in the Conservative Party, yet has it has resulted in a split from the Labour Party.

Personally, I think they've jumped too soon. They'd have done better to wait for the Morgans, Grieves and Soubrys of this world to come to the same conclusion.

I think it was Soubry who claimed there was a Purple Momentum in the Tory Party, and local associations were lurching to the right thanks to an influx of former Kippers.

If, and it's a big if at the moment, it comes about then British politics can only benefit from it.

Let's face it politics in this country is broken and has been for quite some considerable time. I'm not advocating a return to the Bliar or the Thatcher years but as I've said numerous times before on here at this present time I cannot ever see myself voting Labour while Jeremy Corbyn is at the helm and I see the Tories, regardless of leader, as the only other alternative.

Once Brexit is over and done with and we're getting on with business again, whether that be still in the EU or out of it, that's the time this country is going to need a party that can unite the population and heal the wounds that dominate at present. The right and the left have proven incapable of doing anything that comes remotely close to that.

so far it's not a new party, just some independents who allege different reasons for leaving. They really should have hit the ground running with some policies as no one will want to vote for an MP's personal grievances.

Why do you say allege? Have you reason to disbelieve them? Do you know differently? Is their word not enough for you?

The irony is that the Brexit referendum was ulimtately called to solve the divisions in the Conservative Party, yet has it has resulted in a split from the Labour Party.

Personally, I think they've jumped too soon. They'd have done better to wait for the Morgans, Grieves and Soubrys of this world to come to the same conclusion.

I think it was Soubry who claimed there was a Purple Momentum in the Tory Party, and local associations were lurching to the right thanks to an influx of former Kippers.

Just been discussing this with yet another ex Labour voting friend. It was not just for the Tories. Labour voted for it as well.

Both parties where shocked at the 4m UKIP votes. They realised that could become 8m
in the next GE. both side thought a referendum would result in a comfortable remain and the end of UKIP.

What the "its all Cameron's fault" brigade have not considered what if we hadn't of had a referendum...….With what's happening all over Europe right now, Farage would be having a field day and you can guess who would have a clean sweep in the May elections coming up. Then what about the next GE?

The referendum gave JC a real good chance but unlike Cox he has simply scuffed a tame effort straight at the keeper

Those MP's are not quitting because of anti-Semitism, If Corbyn had a chance they would be right behind him. No they are fleeing the sinking ship early, probably realised Dianne Abbott worked out the number of life boats needed.

Last edited:

In truth there has been a serious balancing act going on in both main political parties, it just happens that Corbyn was the first to drop his plates.
Did they jump too soon? It does seem curious timing but I assume they have discussed this thoroughly amongst themselves and decided on this action at this time. It does provide a beacon for other disillusioned souls from both the Labour and Conservative parties, who could also be on the move in the coming weeks. I wonder what their thoughts will be for Newport West, when that by-election is called?
Will it make a move by Labour, towards a 'people's vote' less likely, as it could appear to be supporting the rebels? Labour members should be very sad, I don't think for a minute, this has been done with anything but a very heavy heart. No doubt it will be received with celebration in some quarters of the Labour Party but this, in my view, would be short-sighted. As I suggested earlier this is a Labour Party puting purity over power and the seeming abandonment of the centre ground, IMHO, makes a Labour government less likely.
The horrid prospect of this incompetent Tory government staying in power is almost too awful to imagine. A realignment of British politics would be my preference but how can that be achieved in an electoral system which was not fit for purpose at the end of the 20th Century and is certainly outmoded for the 21st Century????

What I think is interesting (others may disagree) is how these MPs have fared with Brown / Miliband / Corbyn:

Chuka Umunna (Streatham)
2010 42.8% / 2015 53% / 2017 68.5%

Luciana Berger (Liverpool Wavertre)
2010 53.1% / 2015 69.3% / 2017 79.5%

Chris Leslie (Nottingham East)
2010 45.4% / 2015 54.6% / 2017 71.5%

Angela Smith (Penistone & Stocksbridge)
2010 37.8% / 2015 42% / 2017 45.8%

Mike Gapes (Ilford South)
2010 49.4% / 2015 64% / 2017 75.8%

Gavin Shuker (Luton South)
2010 34.9% / 2015 44.2% / 2017 62.4%

Ann Coffey (Stockport)
2010 42.7% / 2015 49.9% / 2017 63.3%

So on the whole they have seen their vote rocket under Corbyn and it is well documented that the vast majority of people vote for a party rather than an individual MP.
If they stand in the same constituencies they are in now I can see it being the end of their political careers for most of these.
If they do form a new party (and get a lot more MPs to join them) and target marginals then they may have a bit more impact, but that may be viewed as cynical.
Other than Umunna who was a media figure in a more positive light for quite a time, I can't see any of the others bringing much of a following with them, they are mostly known for complaining.

They'll need some decent policies and something positive to rally around. 2nd referendum will be something that has already happened or is not going to happen by time they stand for election.

Last edited:
Just been discussing this with yet another ex Labour voting friend. It was not just for the Tories. Labour voted for it as well.

Both parties where shocked at the 4m UKIP votes. They realised that could become 8m
in the next GE. both side thought a referendum would result in a comfortable remain and the end of UKIP.

What the "its all Cameron's fault" brigade have not considered what if we hadn't of had a referendum...….With what's happening all over Europe right now, Farage would be having a field day and you can guess who would have a clean sweep in the May elections coming up. Then what about the next GE?

The referendum gave JC a real good chance but unlike Cox he has simply scuffed a tame effort straight at the keeper

Those MP's are not quitting because of anti-Semitism, If Corbyn had a chance they would be right behind him. No they are fleeing the sinking ship early, probably realised Dianne Abbott worked out the number of life boats need.
Labour didn't vote for a referendum, they accepted that in electing a Tory majority in 2015 the public had voted for a referendum so stopped opposing it.

Labour policy in the 2015 GE was against a referendum.

Back