• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just another reason to hate the scum!

I wouldn't worry too much about what our sheep bothering friends are saying. They will have financial problems of their own sooner or later.

I would say it's a matter of time before Robbie Cowling pulls the plug. They'll continue to get 4000 crowds, apart from when the likes of Leeds, Norwich, Millwall and Southend are in town. While they have sold Yeates they can't sustain paying out large sums of money as they have been doing.

correct me if im wrong, but they dont even own their own ground do they, its owned by the local council???

They don't i think your right. Cowling will pull the plug soon and then they'll get flushed away back to the Conference were they deserve. They barely get 4,000 in gates at normal games and most likely have to be pumped full of cash injections every now and then by Cowling. He'll end up getting fed up of this and leave.

I wouldn't worry too much about what our sheep bothering friends are saying. They will have financial problems of their own sooner or later.

I would say it's a matter of time before Robbie Cowling pulls the plug. They'll continue to get 4000 crowds, apart from when the likes of Leeds, Norwich, Millwall and Southend are in town. While they have sold Yeates they can't sustain paying out large sums of money as they have been doing.

A parallel to Jeff King and Canvey, perhaps.

Maybe so, but to be fair to fat Jeff, he is from the island. Whereas Cowling is a Wet Spam supporter.

I meant in terms of trying to bankroll a side to success, but without ever finding enough interest to make it worthwhile. Colchester and Canvey (albeit to a lesser scale) have shared this problem.

I meant in terms of trying to bankroll a side to success, but without ever finding enough interest to make it worthwhile. Colchester and Canvey (albeit to a lesser scale) have shared this problem.

Sorry, I should've caught your meaning. Yes that's quite right, IMO King could have taken Canvey into the Football League. But Park Lane was barely up to scratch as Conference ground let alone FL standard, and as you point out local support apart from the hard core few hundred was minimal.

I think Col Ewe fans may think that Cowling is some sort of sugar daddy, a League one Abramovich if you like, but his philanthropy has to end somewhere.

Most of their players are on big wages, include the like of Matt Lockwood etc - how they can run a club with under 4000 crowds, when they got squads that earn "Championship" type wages.

I agree, its be matter of time before Robbie Cowling will get fed up of putting his money into the club every week, just to cover the wages etc - I think the scums need at least 8k every home game to break even, just to cover the wages.

If Southend Utd get a "suger daddy" for example, getting new players in that excite the fans, I can see us selling out the ground, no problem as everyone like to jump on the bandwagon.

Quite.

They remind me of a girl I had the misfortune of living with at Uni. She was your stereotypical spoilt little rich kid, handed many of life's little niceties on a plate and with a tendency to look down her nose at anybody who had less as a result of having to go out and earn the things they wanted. She'd regularly be on the phone to her dad, without any discernible trace of irony, asking for more money because what she'd been handed wasn't enough. She deserved more, don'tcha know.

Last I heard her parents had told her that after graduation she needed to make her own way in the world. Her 2:2 didn't enable her to walk into a cushty job and support the lifestyle she was used to, and her previous life of privilege only served to build her up for quite a nasty fall. Try as I might, I just can't work up a great deal of sympathy.

At some point in the future, and I think it might be sooner rather than later, Essex football will once again become a question of which set of fans are prepared to support their club properly and furnish it with the resources to grow and thrive. I know which team my money will be on to prevail, so until then they can pile the hubris on as thickly as they like. :)

They can crow if they manage to finish above us. Lambert's made a few signings but that, of course, guarantees nothing. Is he good enough? We'll see.

They don't i think your right. Cowling will pull the plug soon and then they'll get flushed away back to the Conference were they deserve. They barely get 4,000 in gates at normal games and most likely have to be pumped full of cash injections every now and then by Cowling.

As is the case with virtually every club in the league. It's just that our chairman is loaded, while yours is skint and full of ****. Funny how in the past you've always crowed about us not having any money.

Yes there's always the possibility he'll up and leave, and the shortfall in gates is a concern, but he won't be pressing the panic button just yet. Nothing he's said or done to date gives the impression of someone who's not in it for the long haul.

Course, if it was us about to go under, you lot wouldn't be crowing at all would you...

As is the case with virtually every club in the league. It's just that our chairman is loaded, while yours is skint and full of ****. Funny how in the past you've always crowed about us not having any money.

Yes there's always the possibility he'll up and leave, and the shortfall in gates is a concern, but he won't be pressing the panic button just yet. Nothing he's said or done to date gives the impression of someone who's not in it for the long haul.

Course, if it was us about to go under, you lot wouldn't be crowing at all would you...

Not only do you spend all your time talking about the mighty Blues on the Col Poo site, you even come onto our site to post.

Come join the only team in Essex....go on, you know you want to ;)

Come on now let´s not get bitter. If they were going bust I´m sure we´d be enjoying it. And most of them are saying they dont want us to go bust.

Back