• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
if the scoreline sounds like we were good, I have to say our performance was worrying.
There will be a call to bring back Bradbury but I honestly thought he didnt play well. 1st goal, well taken free header, 2nd goal a pen, 3rd was standing in the box unmarked just had to hit it. He just doesnt look sharp enough.
For thos that missed it heres some ratings:
Collis 8 - didnt put a foot wrong
Gilbert 7 - pretty solid but made a few dodgy passes
Barret 7 = solid as usual and in the box for the 2nd goal - great finish
Clarke 6 = not bad but nearly cost us the game clibing all over the bloke when the ball was running out of the box to give away a pen.
Che 6 solid
Gower 7 nice touches
Moussa 6 didnt notice him much but did ok
Baily 8 my MoM. Nothing spectacular but sat in fornt of the back four and mostly passed to a blue shirt
JCR 5 - Ive always been a big fan but PASS THE BALL MAN
Bradbury 6 sounds unfair but doesnt win any headers, doesnt threaten much but did score a hat trick
Hooper 5 1st half Whooper? 2nd half slighlty better.

McDonald - 7 very lively. I would go with him and Harrold to start at Leeds
Hunt 6 - did ok

Sorry if it isnt a glowing report but we could so easily have lost this game if it wasnt for the penalty save. Cheltenham - ad their 40 fans -will be gutted.

I was not there so your report is much appreciated, my only beef is you say bradbury was no threat yet he scored 3 goals, if he had scored four would this be a 'threat on goal'

seems there is a bit of a difference in your report and beefys.. i would say no-one can get a hattrick and 'not play that well'

I know, it sounded ridiculous when i typed it, but would be interested to hear other points of view. He had a free header at the back post in the 2nd half which he hit the bar with, probably his easiest chance but apart from the 3 goals, and that does sound stupid, he really did nothing. Ithink he needs to lose half a stone and just try to get a bit sharper.

I'm staggered that you thought Bradbury didn't play well. I thought he was sensational. Won almost everythnig in the air, linked up very well with Charlie Mac and with the wingers, and linked up play with the midfielder. What more can he do?!

First half we were good, with Bradbury, Bailey & Wilson particularly impressive. Barrett made a few errors, it looked like he was trying a bit too hard with the captaincy. Second half we were very poor and Cheltenham definitely shaded the 90 minutes as a whole. We missed Maher's composure.

I'm staggered that you thought Bradbury didn't play well. I thought he was sensational. Won almost everythnig in the air, linked up very well with Charlie Mac and with the wingers, and linked up play with the midfielder. What more can he do?!

First half we were good, with Bradbury, Bailey & Wilson particularly impressive. Barrett made a few errors, it looked like he was trying a bit too hard with the captaincy. Second half we were very poor and Cheltenham definitely shaded the 90 minutes as a whole. We missed Maher's composure.

Any news on Maher's chances of making Saturday ?

I'm staggered that you thought Bradbury didn't play well
We often seem to agree with most stuff but we must have been wathing form different sides of the ground, but as he scored 3. i'll accept your judgement is better than mine on this occassion

I wasn't there today but i think with bradbury is that he makes the unspectacular and simple things look really easy and it goes unnoticed. he probably has the best first touch out of anyone in the squad and mentally he is excellent... don't forget that 10years ago he was sold for 3mil, almost double what we have just got for freddy so he isn't a mug. he probably hasn't aged that well but he is a decent striker and a really useful team player

think had Cheltenham put away that penalty and won 2-1 (which I think would have been a fair result) then everyone who saw it would be extremely worried for the rest of the season. Thought we were poor to be honest. Extra time was a different matter though - the penalty miss seemed to give us a new lease of life. Dont rate Bradbury but too be honest he is probably the best of a poor bunch purely for experience alone. Hope Tilly doesnt think that we dont need a striker now!! For anyone not at the game and seeing the result 4-1 please dont get too excited

Any news on Maher's chances of making Saturday ?

Nothing that I've heard. But if it was the same injury that kept him out at the end of last season then I wouldn't have thought that he'd be at Leeds. If he doesn't make it then it has to be McCormack & Bailey together. Moussa had some good touches but he looked like a teenager tonight.

We often seem to agree with most stuff but we must have been wathing form different sides of the ground, but as he scored 3. i'll accept your judgement is better than mine on this occassion

Meh, maybe I'm biased. I'm an unashamed Lee Bradbury fan.

if the scoreline sounds like we were good, I have to say our performance was worrying.
There will be a call to bring back Bradbury but I honestly thought he didnt play well. 1st goal, well taken free header, 2nd goal a pen, 3rd was standing in the box unmarked just had to hit it. He just doesnt look sharp enough.
Clarke 6 = not bad but nearly cost us the game clibing all over the bloke when the ball was running out of the box to give away a pen.
Che 6 solid
Gower 7 nice touches
Baily 8 my MoM. Nothing spectacular but sat in fornt of the back four and mostly passed to a blue shirt
Bradbury 6 sounds unfair but doesnt win any headers, doesnt threaten much but did score a hat trick

Hunt 6 - did ok

Sorry if it isnt a glowing report but we could so easily have lost this game if it wasnt for the penalty save. Cheltenham - ad their 40 fans -will be gutted.

Funny how opinions differ. I thought Bradders looked sharper, fitter and faster than he's ever looked whilst he's been at Southend. Bailey's passing was good, but he didn't show me enough to suggest he'll be a hit this season, whilst I thought Moussa had a very good game and is showing why he'll develop into a class act for this club.

Nothing that I've heard. But if it was the same injury that kept him out at the end of last season then I wouldn't have thought that he'd be at Leeds. If he doesn't make it then it has to be McCormack & Bailey together. Moussa had some good touches but he looked like a teenager tonight.

Hmmm , a Southend team with potentially no Flahavan , Maher and Eastwood

Collis is long overdue a chance IMO, I love Maher so I cant even bear the thought of him not playing and the Freddy era was special to say the least and if wolves dont start playing him he could always come back on loan

Che 6 solid
Gower 7 nice touches

Hunt 6 - did ok

I thought gilbert was very poor tonight. poor passing and poor positioning. he couldnt head the ball in the direction of a blue shirt either, very indecisive.

Wilson had a very good game, at least a 7.

Bradbury, well what does he have to do to please people. he was so influential through out the whole game. he scores 3, sets up the other, hits the bar dont forget. he won evrything in the air, not only he wins it but the ball then ends up as a southend players feet and not the opposing keeper. He is good in the air, good passing and crossing, good vision, clever, strong, great control and 1st touch, if only he shot more and went past players more. then again if he could do that he would be a premiership striker. we are lucky to have him.

How can you say to got with macdonald and harrold at leeds. macdonald and bradbury should play.

I thought Gilberts performance was alarming. Constantly seems to be out of position and let people run past him with the ball.

Yep not really a Bradbury fan but fair play to the guy scores 3 and hits the bar too. Well deserved man of the match.

Was quite taken by Mcdonalds movement and stregnth up front. Once he came on, was our first line of defence and set Bradders up for his third.

Bradbury does look a lot sharper this season'; lets not hope it's false hope.

Fantastic cross by Che for Bradbury's first goal. Finished off well too.

Shocking second half show, but if Cheltenham hadn't have scored when the did it may have been different; I think the fashion of the goal knocking us a bit. Gilbert must take soul blame for it too, with some disatrous indecisiveness.

Bradburys best game in a Southend shirt. He is such a good player he's adapted his style to suit his lack of pace and his touch, vision and fottbal thought processes are pretty damn good.

Back