• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
Where did he come from!?

The whole team was brilliant today but I thought his performance stood out from such a young player (making his debut?), it was very promising. Didn't look out of place one bit in the team and worked well with Easton. Also it was nice to have two natural wingers, gave them the creative freedom and allowed the two CM's to work on winning the ball and working hard.

Brilliant three points!

I thought he had a good game today. A quiet start, but certainly grew as the game wore and especially shone in the second half. What impressed me the most was his discipline to hold his position just in front of the back four and keep things simple. For someone of his age to do that without giving in to the temptation of chasing around the pitch shouldn't be understated. Played an important part in a very important win.

Where did he come from!?

The whole team was brilliant today but I thought his performance stood out from such a young player (making his debut?), it was very promising. Didn't look out of place one bit in the team and worked well with Easton. Also it was nice to have two natural wingers, gave them the creative freedom and allowed the two CM's to work on winning the ball and working hard.

Brilliant three points!

Agreed fantastic performance from the young man,and in my book the best effort of the season from all the lads,also the gathering of all the players in front of us at the end suggested theres a love in starting to happen at last.UTB

Yeah I know some people say 'I'd rather they play well' blah blah but it was good of them to come over at the end. Today (as various callers to BBCOxford said) Southend were a team.

This season there has been so much emphasis on Grant being the main man etc that perhaps without him we are more of a unit. Easton and Ferdinand both put in brilliant shifts, nothing spectacular but kept the shape of the side together well.

I thought he had a good game today. A quiet start, but certainly grew as the game wore and especially shone in the second half. What impressed me the most was his discipline to hold his position just in front of the back four and keep things simple. For someone of his age to do that without giving in to the temptation of chasing around the pitch shouldn't be understated. Played an important part in a very important win.

Agreed. Its obviously an ideal time for him to come through into the first team having lost Simpson and Midson etc. And before the game I'd never really seen or heard anything about him, but he really stood out for me today. Did nothing spectacular or flamboyant, just did what needed to be done, providing neat and tidy balls from the centre of the park, something which I personally think we've been lacking of late! The last away game I went to was Northampton, and it was refreshing to see us take the lead and actually remain disciplined to hold onto it! Great performance, albeit against a lacklustre Oxford, and hopefully now we can string together some good results!

Up the Blues!!

More good stuff from Herd & well done Ferdinand - great performance.
Defence did well all round today.
Happy New Year

Sturrock did mention in his Q&A session that Kane Ferdinand was close to the first team. I am delighted he has put in such an assured performace.

Great stuff from the young lad and also hopefully it means he can push on and establish himself now.

Yeah I know some people say 'I'd rather they play well' blah blah but it was good of them to come over at the end. Today (as various callers to BBCOxford said) Southend were a team.

This season there has been so much emphasis on Grant being the main man etc that perhaps without him we are more of a unit. Easton and Ferdinand both put in brilliant shifts, nothing spectacular but kept the shape of the side together well.

If he does go I don't think Grant will necessarily be missed as much as everyone thinks. I think he was far more important to the side last season whilst he was having to carry McCormack or fill in at centre-half than he is to this team, even though as an individual he's clearly one of the best players. We may even be stronger with a lesser player who fits into our system better. A team isn't always the sum of its parts.

As for Ferdinand, it bodes well that he can come in and acquit himself well in a different position. He's probably too small to be a successful centre-half but as he's apparently good on the ball may be an option to step up when Clohessy moves onto better things.

Ferdinand did very well covering (knowing the right thing to do etc) at the back when one of our defence went up field as well

I liked the way the lad would always pick the best pass along the ground rather than just hoofing it. Early days but if he comes in and plays like that every week I'd be a bit less worried about losing Grant.

I have to say, I certainly wouldn't have had Ferdinand down as the first youngster to break through this season, but it's thoroughly pleasing to see some of this current crop get a chance. They're certainly a very good squad of footballers and I wouldn't bet against a number of them pushing through into the senior side come May.

Dont forget he has broken into the Republic of Ireland U18 where he has I believe played in their last couple of games. Grant has been v good in the free role but you will remember PS tempering the excitement by saying that Grant needs to learn more discipline positionally- i.e. leaving us open. Two 2-0 away from home on the trott with good discipline throughout the team- all you need at this level, don't concede and you will get chances.

Usually said by people who watch far too much Prem footy on TV and hang on Andy Gray's every word. Scrapping and consistency is the name of the game in this Div.

I have to say, I certainly wouldn't have had Ferdinand down as the first youngster to break through this season, but it's thoroughly pleasing to see some of this current crop get a chance. They're certainly a very good squad of footballers and I wouldn't bet against a number of them pushing through into the senior side come May.
Interesting stuff ESB. I'm not the most knowledgable on the youths, who else would you be expecting to get a chance?

Interesting stuff ESB. I'm not the most knowledgable on the youths, who else would you be expecting to get a chance?

Alex Woodyard, Merrick James-Lewis, Jamie Stevens, Lyle Della-Verde and maybe Ofori-Acheampong, Okai and Furlonge all to push on through this/next season.

Back