• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kightly announces retirement from professional football

Either way on the departure front I wish him every future success. I watched him as a youngster here and you could see he had exceptional talent and would do very well. I was pretty angry in fact when we let him go, which like so many I believed was a very premature move at the time

All credit to him especially if he has done the decent thing , hopefully benefiting himself and family as well as us.

It also brings to 10 the number of players off our books from last years squad and within that some significant wages too, so hopefully we can now continue to fund one or two more decent replacements given only 3 brought in

Kightly was signed on the back of good season for Burton in the Championship, so certainly not one of the usual suspects (bad injury record or not been playing first team for a while)

As for attitude, I can tell you in his first pre season he greatly impressed management and players alike. Absolutely he never came here to take the p. The fact that he has retired rather than opted for mutual agreement proves that.

There was a real buzz around the ground when we played Blackburn, crowd singing well before KO etc. His first 45 and the teams performance sent everyone dizzy with Promotion and Wow signing fever......Of course when things went wrong none of us want to admit to being overoptimistic.....easier to blame others.

Where did it go wrong.....In the weeks after that some of you may remember him overdoing it in good positions......Easily time to shoot inside the box but tying to sell a dummy and drag it onto the other foot.....The only problem was the defender was to slow to buy the dummy.....Keep it simple in L1.....Shoot when you have the chance

Then came several runs of 6/7 games out a with hamstring injuries. Followed by slowly getting match fit whilst never able to give it 100%.....Just as he would look the part, bang they would go again......Same process would be repeated.......Could there have been a touch of your our big earner, get out there and play and you can take it easy in the week.

As has happened to many players who rely on the first two steps those injuries took away his mojo.

Even last season in the first game v Donny he was impressive first half and I was hopping it was all behind him. He never played in the early midweek games v Luton or Brentford so obviously there was an ongoing issue.

Then came that Charlton game. In a season of big ref decisions not being balanced out....He was brought down from behind whilst we were breaking.....Not tripped but studs raked down his calf and achilles. No red for their lad but certainly worse than Kightlys later red.

The next we see him is at Burton. We could have been 3 down at H/T but MK comes on for the second half, plays a more central role and definitely changes the game with a hand in both goals. The first is well worth a watch to show his vision and awareness that others lacked in the CM position.

I guess there must have been further problems because he never started again until the Crawley home game?......Either way he pops up in the middle to score our goal. Just as he smelt that chance to win us that vital penalty at home to Pompey.

What I'm getting at is in a season where the midfield where like boxers without a punch and no Dru. Is it Kightlys fault that we never used him wisely ?

Yes he disappointed out wide to all our and certainly his frustrations but someone with his brain and experience could have surely played an attacking role in a 3 CM slot with Mantom and Dieng behind.

I think as the top earner at the club, home grown and having played plenty in the top two divisions, we were expecting star quality.

Unfortunately we saddled ourselves with a player in the twilight of his career who simply didn't have the legs.

He has earnt a reported 500k with us over the course of his deal. That is a huge contract for a player who in the most part had very little impact throughout his time here.

He will not be a name that I associate with top Southend players.

He often looked unfit, disinterested and overweight.

I'm glad he has done the honourable thing.

I respect him more for that, than anything he has done since we signed him.

I hope that we haven't paid his contract up in full as that is a huge whack of the budget.

I guess we will never know, hopefully it will allow KB to bring in 2 or 3 more players.

I think as the top earner at the club, home grown and having played plenty in the top two divisions, we were expecting star quality.

Unfortunately we saddled ourselves with a player in the twilight of his career who simply didn't have the legs.

He has earnt a reported 500k with us over the course of his deal. That is a huge contract for a player who in the most part had very little impact throughout his time here.

He will not be a name that I associate with top Southend players.

He often looked unfit, disinterested and overweight.

I'm glad he has done the honourable thing.

I respect him more for that, than anything he has done since we signed him.

I hope that we haven't paid his contract up in full as that is a huge whack of the budget.

I guess we will never know, hopefully it will allow KB to bring in 2 or 3 more players.

I'll bet a weeks worth of Kightlys wages that that wont happen. Even if his agent took Ron to court.

So my question is, did we need MK off the books to bring further additions in? I am assuming we will off the back of this ? Although fans weren’t a fan of his, we are now one more player lighter and another winger down

Thank **** for that.

Haven’t been on this site for two months, but that news has cheares me up no end. Must have felt emarressed drawing that fat salary last year and has done the honourable thing. Amazing at 33 he went over the hill so quickly.

Happy retirement and obviously a good career, but did nothing for us!

I've heard from a couple of people on the grapevine that kightly is set to be one of the big name signings at Billericay that tamplin has been teasing this week. Reliable guys in the game too

I've heard from a couple of people on the grapevine that kightly is set to be one of the big name signings at Billericay that tamplin has been teasing this week. Reliable guys in the game too

To be fair it said he was to retire from pro football. Could have a semi pro deal at Billericay where they don’t train every day

I’m pretty sure I said in the summer transfer thread I hoped Billericay came in and took him off our hands.

I was wondering if Anton or Timlin would be one of the 4. Not based on anything other than they're local and without a club. (As far as I'm aware)

Looked very leggy to me last season and although not mentioned has had a lot of injuries in his career that must catch up. I think he he realised he can't make the fitness needed/ beat the pain barrier anymore and playing more in the last 2 seasons than in seasons before has finished him at pro level. I will always remember his fantastic debut but that set the bar that could'nt be maintained consistantly due to age and condition. Still pleased he came back and IMHO he did make a contribution for which we should be grateful and also for honourably terminating his contract when he could have carried on just taking the wages. He is one of our own and always had our club in his heart..................thanks Kights.

Looked very leggy to me last season and although not mentioned has had a lot of injuries in his career that must catch up. I think he he realised he can't make the fitness needed/ beat the pain barrier anymore and playing more in the last 2 seasons than in seasons before has finished him at pro level. I will always remember his fantastic debut but that set the bar that could'nt be maintained consistantly due to age and condition. Still pleased he came back and IMHO he did make a contribution for which we should be grateful and also for honourably terminating his contract when he could have carried on just taking the wages. He is one of our own and always had our club in his heart..................thanks Kights.

Yea spot on in my eyes. When players of his ilk lose that half a yard their finished. I remember seeing Clive Allen when he was playing for Millwall right at the end of his career, he was a shadow of the player he had once been. At least he has recognised his day is done. Good luck for the future Michael.

Back