• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
It's 74 years since we moved from the Kursaal to the Stadium and what I want to know has anyone got any passed down stories of this time?

My grandfather who died nearly 57 years ago was a big fan from those days, but I know very little about him or the Kursaal,.

Family legend tells us that he had supported the club since the days of the Kursaal, that he went to Chesterfield for the abandoned cup game in 1938, and that when he was very ill, he would be on his sick bed all week, but make a remarkable recovery for the match on Saturday before returning to his sick bed after the game. He would have been a teenager when the club was formed in 1906 and I like to think that he went to watch them at the old Roots Hall. He was a builder, and built many houses in Eastern Avenue, Priory Crescent etc. He would work Saturday Mornings but then take his workers to the Buffet at Southend Victoria Station to pay them at Lunch time over a pint, and then slip off to the game for the match before going home. Sadly he died a couple of months before I was born and I never got to talk football with him.

I did talk football with his son, one of my uncles who told me how they used to walk from Rochford to the Kurzaal for games and then walk back again afterwards. They all loved the Kurzaal close to the pitch, intimidating etc. but disliked the Stadium too far from the pitch and no atmosphere.

So has anyone heard any stories about the Kurzaal?

Cricko what do you remember?

Go and quiz your grandad, nan, Uncles, Aunties or anyone who might remember. It's a big ask but the longer we leave it the harder it wil become.

DoDtS

Sorry to disappoint but my memories of the Kursaal are limited to mis-behaving as a teenager with young ladies and seeing Rod Stewart in concert with the Faces in 1973.

Sorry to disappoint but my memories of the Kursaal are limited to mis-behaving as a teenager with young ladies and seeing Rod Stewart in concert with the Faces in 1973.

I was at that concert in 1973?

Anyway back to the subject Southend United at the Kurzaal.

DoDtS

I was at that concert in 1973?

Anyway back to the subject Southend United at the Kurzaal.

DoDtS

So was I and I thought it was 1972.

Back on topic, sorry I can't help with this one, my grandad moved the family to Southend from North London just after WWII, he and my two surviving uncles soon became avid Shrimpers, but initially at the stadium and then at Roots Hall from day one.

There was an old chap who used to sit behind me in the East whose first game was at the Kursaal when he was a young lad, but I rarely see him these days as his wife has been very poorly for some time.

Yes but I was thinking of more personal stories of the fans, rather than matches reports and players.

Mu Uncle told me that most people used to walk to the Kursaal (they went from Rochford) and that as people got older they couldn't do the walk and thats what stopped them going.

Its these sort of stories that I'm looking for which I don't think you would find in the excellent Century United and the loke.

DoDtS

Hmmmmm Pete, I am afraid that was even before my times. All I remember is Yvonne Stag and "the tip em out of bed" stall..Funny enough Ken and I were just chatting about the Kursaal the other day.

I also grew up on the kursaal estate, with shrimper 93 funnily enough, I am actually responsible for him being a blues fanatic I dragged him along to the first game of the season against forest in.........1993 and the rest is history, that is sort of a story about the Kursaal

My grandfather (still alive and kicking!) Reminds me of the times he used to look after supporters bicycles outside the Kursaal on match days. He'd take their money and come kick-off disappear, only returning just after the final whistle.

My grandfather (still alive and kicking!) Reminds me of the times he used to look after supporters bicycles outside the Kursaal on match days. He'd take their money and come kick-off disappear, only returning just after the final whistle.

Thanks for that, my Mum and Dad did much the same at the Stadium we used to live opposite the ground, and for a small charge they would wheel them through to the back garden and look after them.

Has your grandfather got any more stories, I personally would be very interested.

DoDtS

Kursaal Memories

I was taken by my father to my first Blues game at the old Kursaal ground when I was knee high to a grasshopper, in 1933. I remember, as we walked into the ground we passed an elephant being exercised by his keeper;there was either a circus or a zoo part of the Kursaal in those days. As we entered the ground you could see the waterchute towering high above the far wall, and hear the screams of the excited passengers as they plunged down the chute in the boats.
All around the pitch were advertising boards made of enamelled iron, and we boys would lean over the walls and pummell them with our fists. They made a great roaring noise. Great fun.
I have followed them ever since, and have rarely missed a home game. I am still a STO to this day.

I was taken by my father to my first Blues game at the old Kursaal ground when I was knee high to a grasshopper, in 1933. I remember, as we walked into the ground we passed an elephant being exercised by his keeper;there was either a circus or a zoo part of the Kursaal in those days. As we entered the ground you could see the waterchute towering high above the far wall, and hear the screams of the excited passengers as they plunged down the chute in the boats.
All around the pitch were advertising boards made of enamelled iron, and we boys would lean over the walls and pummell them with our fists. They made a great roaring noise. Great fun.
I have followed them ever since, and have rarely missed a home game. I am still a STO to this day.

Welcome to ShrimperZone Mr Blue, I am sure we would love to hear some tales of bygone days.

Good man! Nice to have all ages on the Zone :)

Great stuff and welcome to the Zone, hope you have plenty more stories from those far off days.

Thanks Littleboyblue welcome to SZ, I'm quite proud that this thread inspired you to post. I realise that you were only a small lad in the Kurzaal time, later on we'll start athread for the Stadium days but lets se if we can't find anymore about the Kursaal first.

Littleboyblue where were you living at the time?

Thanks

DoDtS

I am pleased that I have finally made the effort of posting as I have been reading the posts for ages. To answer your question DoDts In those far off days I was living in Hadleigh where I was born. So how did we get to the Kursaal? I don't know how , but somehow or other my dad possessed a very old Wolsey two seater car with a rumble seat on the back, which was open to the elements. You can guess who occupied that. I received many a drenching, but it was fun.

I am pleased that I have finally made the effort of posting as I have been reading the posts for ages. To answer your question DoDts In those far off days I was living in Hadleigh where I was born. So how did we get to the Kursaal? I don't know how , but somehow or other my dad possessed a very old Wolsey two seater car with a rumble seat on the back, which was open to the elements. You can guess who occupied that. I received many a drenching, but it was fun.

I hope you & Pete get together so he can tell you loads of stories of the days when we played at The Kursaal, it'd be fascinating reading.

Back