• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Laurent and Revell?

Revell also has something which Harrold appeared to be lacking, and that's a crowd pleasing personality! I've no idea what kind of person Harrold was, but Rev has that ability to make others smile.

Please bear in mind i am trying to work my way throught the threads and will get to a match report when i can.

I thought that we played your front two completely wrong and although Laurent looked impressive i think we helped. I mentioned that all season we have been struggling at the back and so it proved again last night. Lubo, an international and a premiership defender only a little while ago, and Telfer were always a yard behind them. You have two options either attack the ball as it gets to them as your centre backs did or back off and make them play. We did neither, they let them get the ball, got tight and got turned everytime. That is school boy stuff and two experianced players should know better.
Laurent as someone mentioned earlier will cause more defences problems, he looked gangly and all arms and legs but perhaps a little too unpredictable to be truly prolific. That said he was very impressive early on. Revell for me didn't do anything that worried me as an away fan attacking wise but he summed up your team by making the whole team play quicker then we like to by harrasing the defence and working so hard.

I said this before when we've played you at the Hall and I said it before last nights game, and that is that Michalik seems to have the turning circle of a bus. The fact that Laurent turned him inside out all night seemed to prove this. What the heck does he do against a lightning quick striker?

What a wonderful position to be in - Freedman, Barny, Laurent and Rev's - if all fit on Sat, Tilly will rightly go with Rev's and Laurent ....

The first 25 mins of Laurents full debut last night was up there with the best first 25 mins from any full debtant I have ever seen in a Southend shirt, the only thing missing was a goal. He literally destroyed the Leeds back line !!

& Rev's proved that you dont need goals to win over fans, you need heart, workrate and a willingness to die for the shirt you are wearing. All players can have differing ability, however ALL players should share the same love and passion for the cause ...

UTB's !!

The front two where magnificent last night. The workrate between the two of them was unbelievable. Although Barnard also puts a fair shift in up front as well.

Laurent was outstanding in the first half. Absolutely unplayable on that kind of form, only a couple of wonder saves from their keeper prevented him from extending the lead. How was the penalty not given after Michalik pulled him down in the box.

Revell's engine was unbelievable. In the first half he chase someone back to left back, and not long later did it down to right back. Desevered a goal for his effort.

I said this before when we've played you at the Hall and I said it before last nights game, and that is that Michalik seems to have the turning circle of a bus. The fact that Laurent turned him inside out all night seemed to prove this. What the heck does he do against a lightning quick striker?

It's amazing that having been turned for the 6th time, he didn't at least try and drop off Laurent rather than get beaten every time.

Laurent looked excellent and full marks to Tilly for slowly introducing him and then starting him once he was full of confidence. The main difference at the moment between Walker and Laurent isn't pace or skill, it is confidence. Laurent was oozing confidence and it really showed.

Glad to see Revell get some praise on here. For the first time he looked like a £150,000 forward. He won plenty in the air, found Blue shirts with intelligent balls and worked his nuts off. The fitter he gets the better he looks.

Having a target man who is mobile, makes so much difference. Over the last decade or so we've been stuck with some awful players, who whilst big and good if you hit the ball straight to them, are unable to move to get to anything that isn't a perfectly placed pass/hoof. I'm thinking of Lead Bradbury, Drewe Broughton, Graeme Jones etc. Only really Harrold looked like a decent targetman and he was never able to win the crowd over and lost all confidence.

Does anyone else think it was quite telling that Scannell was introduced up front instead of Walker? It's not as if Scannell was playing deeper, he was actually put up top. It perhaps shows that Tilly has got just as frustrated with Walker as most of us have.

to be honest ,walkers days look numbered this lad has done zilch looks clumsy on the ball and does not breed confidence ,watched him against a very poor thurrock defence and he still struggled.

looks a conference player to me at best.

Does anyone else think it was quite telling that Scannell was introduced up front instead of Walker? It's not as if Scannell was playing deeper, he was actually put up top. It perhaps shows that Tilly has got just as frustrated with Walker as most of us have.

Walker is low on confidence whilst Scannell looked very sharp in his sub appearance last week and had the pace to run at Leeds - it was exactly the move I would have made. I wouldn't read too much into it, Walker's bigger problem is that Barnard, Freedman, Revell and Laurent all stand between him and a spot up front. His best chance of a first team spot maybe on the left, particularly once Robson-Kanu's loan expires.

What was maybe more telling was that Grant was introduced ahead of McCormack. I thought McCormack was very poor and at least for the time being Grant appears to be above Macca in the pecking order.

Scannell's been used in this type of role before though, bring him on as fresh legs to run an already ragged defence into total submission. I'm sure that was the reason, he can play that kind of lone position quite happily whereas I don't recall Walker having been used like that. All we needed to do was try and keep the ball up the other end at that stage and IMO Scannell's pace was the best way to achieve this.

I wouldn't like to choose between them four, I think they are all as good as each other. But Im glad Walker seems to be going out of the picture!! FINALLY

I hope people don't get on Walkers back. He's clearly got talent as you can see when he ghosts past people, but isn't playing with confidence and still has parts of his game he must improve on before becoming a first team regular.

He's got the raw talent he just needs to work hard on the training ground.

I hope people don't get on Walkers back. He's clearly got talent as you can see when he ghosts past people, but isn't playing with confidence and still has parts of his game he must improve on before becoming a first team regular.

He's got the raw talent he just needs to work hard on the training ground.

I think Walker needs to work harder full stop! He should be watching Revs, Betsy, Sawyer etc. and see what rewards chasing the ball down can bring; we're not playing against world-beaters and getting in these guys' faces can reap dividends.

Maybe. But that's not his style. We can't expect everyone to do that.

I'm happy for him to put the effort in he currently is, but he needs to work hard on the training ground to add to his game, to get the RH faithful on his side. I fear some might start boo'ing him soon, I wouldn't put it past some people.

Maybe. But that's not his style. We can't expect everyone to do that.

I'm happy for him to put the effort in he currently is, but he needs to work hard on the training ground to add to his game, to get the RH faithful on his side. I fear some might start boo'ing him soon, I wouldn't put it past some people.

I walked into him at Tescoes after the game. He looked happy

Back