• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leaders Debate - Who won?

Who won?

• David Cameron

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Ed Miliband

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Nicola Sturgeon

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Leanne Wood

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Nick Clegg

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Natalie Bennett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • No clear winner/Bart

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
True. Sort it out Barna - look at the bigger picture.

Any Labour leader who doesn't have the cojones to recognise publically (unlike the leaders of the SNP,Plaid and the Greens) the positive impact that immigration has had and still continues to have on present-day life in Britain (and elsewhere), isn't fit to lead what was once a great political party.

I think Milliband has spoken out against Farage many many times. In the format of the program that Cameron had dictated there was very little screen time for each person so Milliband rightly used his time trying to make a distinction between himself and Cameron. That is the real choice at the election and that was Milliband's only chance to go head to head with Cameron so he had to not be distracted by the others that were there. Farage playing the clown was largely an irrelevance to what is going on in the election.

Actually,Miliband used his time to point out the minor differences between Labour and Tory plans to reduce welfare payments and conditions for EU immigrants to Britain (most of whom pay far more into the system than they take out).

Obviously, you're right to stress that "the real choice at the election" is between Miliband and Cameron.

Nevertheless,Miliband missed an historic chance to distance himself from both Farage and Cameron, in terms of speaking out for the overwhemingly positive benefits of immigration (as the SNP,Plaid and Green leaders all did).

IIRC, it was left to the leader of Plaid to call Farage's comments on HIV patients "shameful." They were.

Any Labour leader who doesn't have the cojones to recognise publically (unlike the leaders of the SNP,Plaid and the Greens) the positive impact that immigration has had and still continues to have on present-day life in Britain (and elsewhere), isn't fit to lead what was once a great political party.

Having second thoughts about Beaker are we?

No,he was obviously running scared of alienating traditional white working class Labour voters in the Midlands and North of England, who might be tempted to vote UKIP.His tactic won't play so well in and around London, however,nor with Labour's many coloured voters.

Sounds to me that he hasn't got the courage of his own convictions. And he should really learn to not look directly into cameras, it scares the horses.

Sounds to me that he hasn't got the courage of his own convictions. And he should really learn to not look directly into cameras, it scares the horses.

Ha! My wife (not really all that interested in GB politics) said she thought that Clegg looked "much more honest."

(I suspect after May 8th he'll be spending a lot of his time in the EU Parliament,again).

No,he was obviously running scared of alienating traditional white working class Labour voters in the Midlands and North of England, who might be tempted to vote UKIP.His tactic won't play so well in and around London, however,nor with Labour's many coloured voters.

Isn't "coloured" deemed an offensive term these days?

"America's foremost civil rights group is the NAACP which stands for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People"

I would have quite happily used the word black but many of the UK's ethnic minority citizens come from a wide variety of backgrounds.

"America's foremost civil rights group is the NAACP which stands for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People"

I would have quite happily used the word black but many of the UK's ethnic minority citizens come from a wide variety of backgrounds.

http://www.rifemagazine.co.uk/2015/01/cant-say-coloured-questions-race-answered/

and here's the relevant quote...

The NAACP, or the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, is an organisation focused on African-American civil rights. It has existed since 1909 when ‘colored’ was still a widely used and understood term in America. The historical context in which the organisation was formed was widely different from the historical context in which we might use the word coloured today. Remember, racial segregation laws still existed in parts of the US right up until the 1960s. That’s a whole half-century after the NAACP was originally formed. The NAACP is not an excuse to use the word coloured.

Nope.Just old-fashioned, according to a black American student, who was a teaching assistant in my wife's English classes before Easter.

(Perhaps you're thinking about the N word)? :winking:

How funny that mr PC uses the term Coloured.

Many black people here In Britain find that term unacceptable or even offensive.

To be honest, I don't buy into any of these points. I feel that the EU is an outdated concept and we should be looking at ways to reduce global trading. Let's face it, most of the stuff we consume as westerners comes from non-EU sources. It's also hardly a surprise that we get on better with Americans, Australians, South Africans etc than what we do moldovans, or people who don't speak "the lingo".

i think we should be coming up with a global plan, not one restricted to Europe only.

Yeah, I'd rethink that statement as far as South Africa goes. And by the gods is this twitter poster dumb.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/11514436/South-African-radicals-set-British-war-memorial-ablaze.html

It's costing the NHS millions every year to treat HIV. Exactly why should that burden be made worse by treating the rest of the world?

Source,

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/401662/2014_PHE_HIV_annual_report_draft_Final_07-01-2015.pdf

Here's another source that you might want to consider.

"Experts, however, say there is no evidence that foreigners come to the UK for the primary purpose of accessing life-saving HIV treatment, and that forcing them to pay for drugs and testing would only help to spread the disease."

Also:-"According to Public Health England, which collects and analyses HIV statistics, 62% of people newly infected with the virus in 2012 were born in the UK. There are almost 100,000 people living with HIV in Britain."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...do-foreigners-come-to-uk-to-get-hiv-treatment

How funny that mr PC uses the term Coloured.

Many black people here In Britain find that term unacceptable or even offensive.

Next you'll be telling me that all British Asians call themselves black.:dim:

And I repeat that a black American student who was working as an assistant in my wife's English classes before Easter told her that the term coloured was not "unacceptable" nor "offensive",merely "old-fashioned."

Far as I can tell the 'winner' of the TV debate was just whichever political leader you were already supporting.

Back