• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leeds this Friday and rest of the season?

sammyboy

Cannavaro
Ok its not long now until this game kicks off. I'm quite excited by this game and think that for us this could be a game that determines what we could be playing for during the rest of the season and will really show us how good/bad our team is this year. I have reserved judgement of our performances this season so far as I think its far to early to worry/celebrate.

Leeds however are playing well and winning. I believe if we were to win this, it would be the start of what I think would be a playoff season for us and a possible 2nd or 4th place. (Optimistic)

If we were to draw I think it shows we have a little bit of work to do in finishing matches on top but still have a long season ahead to get points and aim for a top playoff position.

I we lose I don’t think its to bad, Leeds are a good team and hard to beat as other teams have found out this year, but I think a top finish will be impossible and we will be looking for a 5th 6th position finish at the end of year which I think would still be a very good season.

I might be looking into this game a bit to much but I think its a very important game and couldnt have come at a better time, except for the role that Leeds are on at the moment.

I was Just wondering what you guys this think game means for us and what a win and a loss might show us for the rest of the season.

As you say it's too early in the season to try and get a "feel" for what's ahead.

But, IF and a big IF we can beat Leeds at RH (Again!) then we are certainly going in the right direction.

I would personally take a point (Yes, another one) But, a defeat would not be the end of the world. Let's face it, Leeds, Charlton etc should walk this league and the early form suggests they may do just that. That leaves probably 10 evenly matched teams fighting for the remaining 4 play-off places, or one of the top spots should Leeds/Charlton choke. We could be one of those.

I think we are 3 or 4 players short of a play-off challenging team to be honest (More in terms of quality cover) So unless that changes this week or in Jan, I would be happy with a top half finish this season, maybe with the outside shot at the play-off's again.

Although, this league is not actually "that" good, in my opinion. We can get out of here, with a bit of luck and some shrewd loans/purchases. But, I think that's a big ask.

Last edited:
You can't judge the rest of the season on one game.

Undoubtedly we will raise our performance for Leeds and they have to beat us at Roots Hall, also there winning run has to end sometime so why not this week!

Doesn't mean too much IMO. If we win, then well done etc etc, but TBH, it will probably be a lucky win, as i forsee us in for a torrid time on Friday night. There is no doubting we played brilliant second half against Orient, but let's not get carried away, it was a terrible O's team/display.
I wouldn't read to much into the game in terms of where we are compared to Leeds. They are very strong and will more than likely **** this league, along with Charlton. Talk about finishing 2nd or 4th is very optimistic...

You can't judge the rest of the season on one game.

Your right, but it has the potential to give confidence to the palyers and let them know they can beat the best. You cant do well in a league if your confidence is low and you know you can compete with the best in your league.

I think we have been unlucky with the points we have, we could easily have more points than we do have and be right at the top of the table. Fingers crossed now we can finish matches off and I think a leeds win would give us the confidence to do this especially for the upcoming matches leeding up to Christmas.

Your right, but it has the potential to give confidence to the palyers and let them know they can beat the best. You cant do well in a league if your confidence is low and you know you can compete with the best in your league.

I think we have been unlucky with the points we have, we could easily have more points than we do have and be right at the top of the table. Fingers crossed now we can finish matches off and I think a leeds win would give us the confidence to do this especially for the upcoming matches leeding up to Christmas.

Yeah its a fair point, but then I don't think they will roll us over so if we play well and don't get a result then I don't see their being a big problem.

Personally I dont think you can cage too much until January time.

It really depends on who we can bring in (if anyone) on loan? A couple of Junior, Dorian type loaness could shoot us up the table. To the same degree if we dont get a few more in I feel we could be stuggling by Xmas with the paper thin squad that we have.

Any talk of play offs is way way off for reasons outlined below.

Beating a shocking Orient outfit,In reality any decent team would of destroyed us in the 1st half,Some of you have gone a little overboard with Fridays win.

Tilson is operating with a tiny squad and seemingly no funds to bolster playing staff,Injuries and suspensions will take its toll sooner or later,Currently squad assembled is nowhere near top 10.

I think we should let Leeds get a high scoring draw. Nobody wants to see this animals smash up our seaside resort in a mass fit of pique following a heavy defeat.

Doesn't mean too much IMO. If we win, then well done etc etc, but TBH, it will probably be a lucky win, as i forsee us in for a torrid time on Friday night. There is no doubting we played brilliant second half against Orient, but let's not get carried away, it was a terrible O's team/display.
I wouldn't read to much into the game in terms of where we are compared to Leeds. They are very strong and will more than likely **** this league, along with Charlton. Talk about finishing 2nd or 4th is very optimistic...

Agreed, I wouldn't read anything into our display against Orient, but then I wouldn't read anything into pre season results for that matter. ;)

If Barney and Sawyer do not play/contribute much and we win then it will mean A LOT , as we will only get better with Barney and Sawyer playing and hopefuly new signings.
But if the squad stays the same, Saweyer goes back, Barney gets injured then talk of the top six is a bit silly IMO.

Regardless- I am glass half full -- 2-1 Southend

If Barney and Sawyer do not play/contribute much and we win then it will mean A LOT , as we will only get better with Barney and Sawyer playing and hopefuly new signings.
But if the squad stays the same, Saweyer goes back, Barney gets injured then talk of the top six is a bit silly IMO.

Regardless- I am glass half full -- 2-1 Southend

Is Barney not down/fit to play on Friday then or you just using it to explain your argument?

why do some people always take the view if we win the other team were crap, if we lose we're crap. We played well on Friday. No reason to fear Leeds. It will show the youngsters how good they are. IF we win, then I think it could be the start of something good.

you never know with us and one game will not be an indicator for the season, a confidence boost yes, season indicator no, look at last season we were up towards the top then had a dramatic slide towards the bottom then just missed out on the play offs, so to sum up I hope we do leeds and then look to the next game, as my signature used to say not always good but never boring, that is how I describe being an SUFC supporter

I think our 'First team' is not to shabby at all.. We have been a bit unlucky in some games this season and outside of Charlton and possibly Leeds there is nothing too outstanding in this league.. Hudders may go all the way and MK will be industrially effeicent,,,, and of course one or two will appear from nowhere.. hopefully we can be one of them.. We play good footy and are good to watch ..That and an outside shot of the playoffs come next year are more than good enough for me .. Also Leeds have always come to the Hall looking for a win.. Maybe that has been there downfall.. I can see them playing it a lot tighter this time round..
I think Norwich is a 'bigger' game than Leeds anyway..

I think our 'First team' is not to shabby at all.. We have been a bit unlucky in some games this season and outside of Charlton and possibly Leeds there is nothing too outstanding in this league.. Hudders may go all the way and MK will be industrially effeicent,,,, and of course one or two will appear from nowhere.. hopefully we can be one of them.. We play good footy and are good to watch ..That and an outside shot of the playoffs come next year are more than good enough for me .. Also Leeds have always come to the Hall looking for a win.. Maybe that has been there downfall.. I can see them playing it a lot tighter this time round..
I think Norwich is a 'bigger' game than Leeds anyway..

Yeah I agree. The whole "big club" factor has worn off with them.

I'm looking forward to the Charlton match-up's, a derby game, some history and what with a certain ginger ******* playing for them, both games will be special. Especially the one at RH.

Shrimpers have to play

Leeds twice
Huddersfield away
MK dons twice
Norwich twice
Charlton twice

9 very tough matches and not forgetting plenty more diffulcult away games such as Hartlepool Millwall and so on.From those 9 games any team wishing to be involved in any play offs will need to collect around 11/12/13 points just to keep in touch with the leading pack.

If Tilly pulls it off I would rank it a bigger miracle than when Moses parted the red sea.

If the last 2 seasons have proved anything it's that it's hard to guess where we're going to finish even by January.
Pre-season I said we would finish top half but not make play-offs. I'll stick with that and be more than happy if it turns to be correct.

Any talk of play offs is way way off for reasons outlined below.

Beating a shocking Orient outfit,In reality any decent team would of destroyed us in the 1st half,Some of you have gone a little overboard with Fridays win.

Tilson is operating with a tiny squad and seemingly no funds to bolster playing staff,Injuries and suspensions will take its toll sooner or later,Currently squad assembled is nowhere near top 10.

I think people are making way too much of our performance in the first half against Orient. The first 30 minutes were not that exciting, but the final 15, we were pinning them back in their own half and given the changes in the side from the previous game, I thought we did fine. We were certainly not shocking, and I doubt any decent team would have destroyed us - Huddersfield are a decent team, and we pretty much destroyed them.

There is a lot of doom and gloom off the pitch at the moment, most of which is justified, but in the middle of all of this, we have been playing, at times, some of our best football in ages. It is more than conceivable we could be sitting just tucked in behind the top 2 right now given how most of our games ought to have panned out, and certainly, it has only been defensive lapses that have cost us.

I'm not convinced we're good enough for a play off challenge - the squad currently is too small, and this league is going to be very competitive this season with the 'big four' all vying for honours, and players. That said, if we can use the loan market to our advantage, and add more quality to what is already a half decent nucleus, you never know. If we can just make our defence water tight, then we may have enough in other areas to compete.

Back