• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
No doubt another totally untrue rumor - Bit hey at least I am not a unregistered poster.

Was drinking in Brighton last night with mates when I saw a bloke who I used to play football with a few years ago. Anyway he knows I am a Southend fan and he a is Brigton die hard.

He told me that we are currently talking to Nathan "One greedy *******" Jones about the possibility of coming back. He works for American Express and is best mates with Nathans Mrs who he says is a black haired patsy palmer look alike (ROUGH)

Anyway Judas Scummer Jones cannot get regualr football at the Gayboys and is keen to play week in week out. His contract is up in the summer and Tilly is watching offshore. Stumbling block may be his girlfriend who didnt like Southend as a place (The slag)

Two things that make this unlikely to me are one - Cant see him dropping two divisions and two I am 99% sure that looking at him Nathan Jones in a blatent homosexual hence wouldnt have a bird.

Your thoughts please
rock.gif
??

Don't think it will happen, but I'd have him back without a doubt.

I actually thought Div 2 (or the real 4th division) was his level and was surprised he moved up. Decent defender and good going forward and of course the legendary shuffle. Very popular too before he jumped ship. I think most fans would welcome him back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Dec. 05 2004,11:10)]I think most fans would welcome him back.
Actually I think most fans would welcome him back too (me included). He made his intentions quite clear just before he moved to Brighton; his contract was up and he wanted a move to try his luck elsewhere. And why not? OK, so the grass perhaps wasn't as green as he probably would have liked but he has made over 170 appearances in four years for the Seagulls - that's still over 40 a season. Compare that to poor old David Lee (who someone really did convince that the grass was a very, very bright shade of green indeed) who has made just 13 (THIRTEEN!) full appearances for three different clubs (Brighton & Hove Albion, Bristol Rovers, Oldham Athletic) since he moved from Roots Hall three years ago. THIRTEEN! And the lad was recently released by Oldham Athletic (where he was playing on a non-contract basis) and is now playing in back for Thurrock in the Nationwide Conference (South) - and scored yesterday in their 2-1 win at Welling. So, no, I don't think Nathan Jones would be coming back because he wasn't getting regular first-team football. Maybe he fancies a change (again)?

WS

Out of interest where did you go drinking? If you met Jones in revenge, that would explain alot about him!
wow.gif

I always liked him, a goodplayer for us. However by next season Nicolau would have ironed out any mistakse, and we wont need anyone else
biggrin.gif

Nicolau gives good support going forward but its gonna take a lot for him to iron out his considerable defensive frailties in that time. Jones however has both attacking and defensive play in his locker, I'd love to see him back but I can't see it happening.

P.S. Remember his goal against Chelts on his last appearance for us when he ran from his own half, beat 5 players then the keeper to end their play-off chances? Class......
tounge.gif

I think it looks like we have a weakness down the left back position. As long as Tilly looks upon Che as a utility man and Nicky a bit inexperienced, it wouldn't be disparaging to either player's performances this year to get him in. Maybe a loan could be the ideal arrangement.

Where's Mr McScriven when you need someone to name drop round at the Hall?

Thing is, would Nathan Jones solve our left-back problems? As I remember him, he was pretty suspect defensively, though excellent going forward. Hasn't he been playing left-midfield for Brighton? For me, that's his best position.

I really hope Nicolau does progress. He had a sound game at Northampton, though it's difficult to judge because he was up against Martin Smith, who, while an excellent player, is not really a wide man. Unfortunately, I'm still not convinced by Nicolau's positional sense, though he probably does deserve another run in the side.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Dec. 05 2004,17:04)]Thing is, would Nathan Jones solve our left-back problems? As I remember him, he was pretty suspect defensively, though excellent going forward. Hasn't he been playing left-midfield for Brighton? For me, that's his best position.

I really hope Nicolau does progress. He had a sound game at Northampton, though it's difficult to judge because he was up against Martin Smith, who, while an excellent player, is not really a wide man. Unfortunately, I'm still not convinced by Nicolau's positional sense, though he probably does deserve another run in the side.
Sound game while he wasn't under pressure. Smith got in to two superb positions round the back of him and with better deliveries, we'd ahve been two down.

If it happens every week like that, I have no doubt that teams will target him.

Although he didn't leave in the best circumstances, I'd like to see him back for the playing side. Can't really see it happening, although just looking at Brighton's site, he's only made a single league start for them this year so I wouldn't be too surprised if he does want out.

I'd have him back, more experienced now and could possibly form a bridge/cole but with himself and nicky.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Dec. 05 2004,19:37)]Although he didn't leave in the best circumstances,
I beg to differ, there's nothing wrong with a pro trying to make the best of his career. There's no easy way to do it but his exit was better than most. I'd certainly welcome the shuffle again.

Just one thing though. Whenever (rarely) I've seen him in action he appears to have been playing left midfield not left back.

Yep - he's definitely spent most of his career as a left mid, not left back.

I'd have him back, though. He struck me as a decent lad - an honest pro looking to make the best of his career. Don't see him as a Judas in the slightest... and from the looks of it, Dave the Shrimper, you appear to be in a minority of one, in terms of that point of view.

As ever, I remain amazed at how ridiculously uncompromising and blinkered some of our fans are...

rock.gif

Matt

If he's not getting regular footy and doesn't want to drop 2 leagues permanently then a loan would be a good suit all sides. He gets first team footy and an oppurtunity to shine to other clubs and we get a decent winger with the ability to beat a player! Jones can play Left wing and Gower can swithch to his natural right side. Job's a good'un

A mate of mine's sister knows him rather well, if you catch my drift. I'll try to find out.

Yeah but if Gower plays wide right he can get to the touchline and deliver balls into the box with his favoured foot.

Another good thing about a potential switch is not only Gower down the right but it would allow Nicolau to be better protected down the left as Jones can defend also and with Nicky's defensive frailties this could make us more solid down that side. Attack-wise Nicky would also be able to support Jones well.

Back