• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For me the standout random memory was a dismal 2-0 away defeat at Barnsley on a Tuesday night. It was clear from the off that we were going to struggle, and I felt that we needed something more inspiring than the "Come on Southend" chant to gee the lads on.

So I waited for a quiet moment (didn't have to wait long) and then shouted "Come on Southend, it's my birthday!"

Everyone then started singing happy birthday in response, and Daryl turned round to applaud us. He thought we were singing happy birthday to him.

And that's how I found out I shared a birthday with one of our heroes.

This is literally one of my earliest Southend Utd memories.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNfjHUEK3o (18 secs in)
Also the last day of that season against Derby was a cracker which ended with us being safe and me running on the pitch and running straight off again when it kicked off with all the Derby fans

That was the first game I took my brother to. We climbe dover the North Bank fence, got covered in Black tar, I got sprayed ith CS gas by a fat bloke, my brother helped someone being attacked by a Derby fan, got bruised knuckls in the process.

It got on Crimewatch and so did I, being shown getting sprayed by the fat bloke

Anyone remember Argie Pete ?

Of course! Did his own fanzine, wrote it and did the cartoons... followed SUFC all over the country, Lived in Fairfax Drive? Last time I saw him we had a beer in the White Hart (?) Rayleigh, 15ish years ago

Colin Morris making E Hughes wishing he was somewhere else, on a cold snowy winters night at Roots Hall.

Shadwell. Was a right strange Welsh lad. I havent seen argie Pete for years he was a character aswell.

Does anyone remember going to a League Cup game in the sixties against Brentford that was played at the Den. We drew with them in the first tie then again in the reply. The third meet had to take place on a neutral ground in those days. Can't remember if we won but seem to recall Sammy McMillan scoring 2 or 3.

Was one of the group who chose to boycott the Notts county game in protest of Murphy/Jobson on a cold wet Nov afternoon,we all stood on the South East banking outside ready to protest after the game when a certain Mr Stanley Collymore made his debut!!!
Being too skint to get in back in the 90s (relegation battle under Fry) and watching from the south east and south west corners with a few cans. Quite a few people used to do it.

I am so glad I got to go to one. Cost £175 to go to Fiorentina and not only got to see the mighty Batistuta but got a tour of Florence which I'd never have imagined I would do. It was in OCtober and I remeber getting off the plane and the heat hit me like nothing I'd ever felt. A day I will always treasure. If I ever dig out any pics, I'll have to post one or two on here

I was looking at my pics from that trip the other day. Couldn't believe how much younger we all were. A surreal experience with a crowd of 2,000 in their vast stadium. Didn't Brett Angell have a goal disallowed? I also remember them feigning injuries, almost Burton-like behaviour. A great trip.

I was looking at my pics from that trip the other day. Couldn't believe how much younger we all were. A surreal experience with a crowd of 2,000 in their vast stadium. Didn't Brett Angell have a goal disallowed? I also remember them feigning injuries, almost Burton-like behaviour. A great trip.

It was 21 years ago. Still seems like yesterday, but then everything always does.

Huge stadium with shops under the stands. No proper seats, just bits of plastic stuck to steps for the back and bottom of the seat. A day I will never forget, least of all for the landing back at Southend Airport. Scary stuff

Does anyone remember going to a League Cup game in the sixties against Brentford that was played at the Den. We drew with them in the first tie then again in the reply. The third meet had to take place on a neutral ground in those days. Can't remember if we won but seem to recall Sammy McMillan scoring 2 or 3.
The match was played at Millwall on a Thursday night which we won by 3-2(after extra time) with a hat-trick by Sammy McMillan, however what was quite remarkable, it was one of four matches that we played in just over a week, the games were as follows:- August 15th. Southend United 3, Scunthorpe United 0. League. Att.8763.
August 18th. Brentford 0, Southend United 0. League Cup Replay. Att.7941.
August 21st. Brentford 2, Southend United 3.(AET) League Cup 2nd.Replay. Att.2068.
August 23rd. Lincoln City 3, Southend United 3. League. Att.6956.
The following players played in all four matches: Trevor Roberts; Tony Bentley; Mike Beesley; Frank Haydock; John Kurila; Sammy McMillan; Phil Chisnall(came on for Billy Best at Lincoln when he broke his ankle),the following also played Keith Lindsey(3); Graham Birks(3); Billy Best(3); Gary Moore(3); Phil Chisnall(3+1sub); Owen Simpson(2); Peter Hunt(2); Dave Barnett(1); Eddie Clayton(2 x substitute). Goalscorers in the matches were Billy Best(4); Sammy McMillan(3); Mike Beesley
and Frank Haydock with 1 each.

The match was played at Millwall on a Thursday night which we won by 3-2(after extra time) with a hat-trick by Sammy McMillan, however what was quite remarkable, it was one of four matches that we played in just over a week, the games were as follows:- August 15th. Southend United 3, Scunthorpe United 0. League. Att.8763.
August 18th. Brentford 0, Southend United 0. League Cup Replay. Att.7941.
August 21st. Brentford 2, Southend United 3.(AET) League Cup 2nd.Replay. Att.2068.
August 23rd. Lincoln City 3, Southend United 3. League. Att.6956.
The following players played in all four matches: Trevor Roberts; Tony Bentley; Mike Beesley; Frank Haydock; John Kurila; Sammy McMillan; Phil Chisnall(came on for Billy Best at Lincoln when he broke his ankle),the following also played Keith Lindsey(3); Graham Birks(3); Billy Best(3); Gary Moore(3); Phil Chisnall(3+1sub); Owen Simpson(2); Peter Hunt(2); Dave Barnett(1); Eddie Clayton(2 x substitute). Goalscorers in the matches were Billy Best(4); Sammy McMillan(3); Mike Beesley
and Frank Haydock with 1 each.
In the 50 odd years that I have followed Southend ,it is a mystery why this team never achieved what it should have .

Is he a Gradiator ? (excuse if that is a tiny bit racist)

In a global US company where diversity and inclusion is at the forefront (nothing wrong with that) my deepest ingrained Southend roots sometimes get the better of me. For example I had no idea Jap was offensive but that's just one example. My mouth has got me into trouble plenty of times and not just out here. I have no harmless intent in me at all but in some cases it's just like the Clarkson eenie meenie thing. Some things are ingrained. I cannot go through life treading on eggshells that's not me. I have actually answered the phone with a Harro ! Oh dear.

Incidentally focussing on racism and I know this is a generalisation, Asians are incredibly racist by today's global standards.

Back