• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Let's all try to calm down

shrimpercats

OK, that was absolutely awful. But the supporters making the most noise now are the same ones praising the team to the skies after the Bristol City game.
I said in a much earlier post that the way this squad has been assembled with a host of journeymen lower league players who weren't wanted elsewhere means that at least half of them won't make the grade. Sturrock himself has conceded that he doesn't know what his best team is. I would suggest that he now has a much better idea of those players who won't feature in his "best team". They have arrived at the club in these circumstances for a very good reason - most of them aren't good enough for league football. We must hope that a few will grasp the opportunity to reignite their careers and that those who didn't join because they had no other options (Mohsni, Bouzid, Grant, Paterson, Soares, Corr) will form the nucleus of a half decent side in the future. But I expect a lot of comings and goings over the next few months in an attempt to preserve our league status.
The club has been all but destroyed by Ron Martin. Sturrock is doing his best to rescue something from the embers, but it will be a long and painful job and we supporters have to get behind him if we want the club to survive. Starting at Wolverhampton, Sturrock has to select those who have the bottle and the heart to do the business - most of them were on the bench today.

I truly believe that as long as there is no untoward interference from the syrup king, then Luggy will eventually build a team we can be proud of. A week before the season started, every one of us would not have believed that we would even have a team to moan about; let's get to october before baying for blood.

Don't be silly, you are talking about Southend fans here. If a striker doesn't score a goal in 10 seconds of his debut then he is crap. If a defender isn't a 6" 5' dominate player then he is crap, if a midfielder can not make 5 defense spilting passes in a game then he is crap etc.

Don't be silly, you are talking about Southend fans here. If a striker doesn't score a goal in 10 seconds of his debut then he is crap. If a defender isn't a 6" 5' dominate player then he is crap, if a midfielder can not make 5 defense spilting passes in a game then he is crap etc.

I agree, but dont you just want to see some effort and passion??

I didn't see that yesterday at all...

I agree, but dont you just want to see some effort and passion??

I didn't see that yesterday at all...

There was some effort and passion from the Blue Voice, but the rest of the ground was like a morgue even before kick-off and the team played up to that level.

The biggest dissapintment for me is the loss of support for the club.

The club is a shambles.

Running out of tickets 2 games into a season and still the bars are serving warm bottled beer as the taps are still off.

Its too much for some people and as a consumer the product isnt couldnt enough and as a result we are losing fans hand over foot.

I can see a seasons average of less than 5k which means we have halved our support and dropped two leagues in 4 seasons!!

personally think IMO that it will take at least ten games to settle into this league,but truely believe sturrock will form a strong side this season,whole new sqaud new surroundings they need to settle in,plus the strongest team is still a mystery at the mo,people just need to chill,50/1 for the title ;)

The biggest dissapintment for me is the loss of support for the club.

The club is a shambles.

Running out of tickets 2 games into a season and still the bars are serving warm bottled beer as the taps are still off.

Its too much for some people and as a consumer the product isnt couldnt enough and as a result we are losing fans hand over foot.

I can see a seasons average of less than 5k which means we have halved our support and dropped two leagues in 4 seasons!!

But then you have to wonder just what these people support. Are these the sort of people who change allegiance to any team that is successful, or are they die-hard Southend supporters? Southend are my team because it was where I was born and there can be no other team, whatever league they play in.
I fully understand in these economic times that it can be harder for many fans to put money into the clubs pocket, and certainly the club has a duty to offer as good a service as it can, but don't jump ship every time there is a struggle; these are the times we need to shout louder and prouder!

But then you have to wonder just what these people support. Are these the sort of people who change allegiance to any team that is successful, or are they die-hard Southend supporters? Southend are my team because it was where I was born and there can be no other team, whatever league they play in.
I fully understand in these economic times that it can be harder for many fans to put money into the clubs pocket, and certainly the club has a duty to offer as good a service as it can, but don't jump ship every time there is a struggle; these are the times we need to shout louder and prouder!

Agreed and i am with you, but with ANY club in any league there will always be more fans when the team is doing well or when the opposition is decent.

They will also attend when the value for me is good.

Taking your diehard supporters hat off for a second can you honestly say that the team is doing well or playing anyone decent or providing value for money?

When those things change we will see a rise in attendances but why the club is being run by a chairman who is rapidly rising in notoriety and is serving up dog **** week in week out then we are stuck with the die hards and day trippers.

Martin has a lot to answer for, but if he can get the ground underway and provide a future to look foward to then the atmosphere will be a lot less tense.

I am questioning wether or not i still would have gone had i not had a season ticket.

Yesterday was a disgusting performance, but for me I'm wholly encouraged by Sturrock's interview on the OS as he didn't pull any punches. The fact he didn't just come out and say "it was just a bad day at the office" tells us all he's not happy and from the interview it sounds as if he's determined to put it right and quickly. My guess is Sturrock will learn more about this team from performances like yesterday than games we win, yesterday's display may actually benefit us in the long run.....it's a long season.

Myself included I do think we all fly off the handle a little when we are give a good whooping, as yesterday was. The 8s, 9s and 10s given to the players and the team as a whole after the brilliant performance against Bristol City all seem a long time ago. The same players just about played yesterday and yes, to a man almost they were pretty poor, but we must give them time. Gelling a brand new team is not an overnight process and we may face a few more 'hidings' before things click.

I am sure Luggy will get it right. I for one will be at Wolves on Tuesday and Bradford on Friday cheering on the team that I will always support, regardless of what divison, who's the manager or who's the chairman!

I agree wholeheartedly with the bit I've highlighted in bold, however as far as I'm concerned RM and his cronies have ripped the heart of soul out of MY football club chasing their own personal dreams and fortune. Now, due to current distance issues my protest of not wanting to put any more cash into Martin's pocket isn't really going to cause much economic hardship directly but just take a look around here, there are supporters of 20, 30 or even 40+ years standing now saying enough is enough and questioning if it's all just worth it anymore. These are people who've lived through the dark days of Jobson and Johnson, seasons of applying for re-election etc. Now if that's the case, that has to go some way to confirming just how shocking the actions of Martin have been over the past 18 months.

Can't agree with you. I think Southend fans are pretty loyal to their players even when they are playing crap. Look at how much toilet the majority of people on the site were willing to put up with from the stars who left last season without losing faith in them. Many of us thought we were too good to go down even after it became clear that we couldn't escape. Despite the fact that we hadn't gone into administration (like Stockport) and nor did we miss out narrowly on the last day of the season (like Gillingham), no other teams seemed to be as surprised as us at our fate. Most of us have a moan - that is one of the main functions of a forum like this after all - but I think the Southend fans a a particularly loyal bunch in comparison to many clubs.

I for one will be at Wolves on Tuesday and Bradford on Friday cheering on the team that I will always support, !

Hope you enjoy both occasions. Wish i had the amount of weekly 'pin' money needed to go to both of these games, plus the amount of time required off work. Are you on holiday?.

I think that what the majority on here can agree on, is that we love our team, get a real buzz when they are producing the football to win a match decisively and feel totally ****ed off when they play crap (losing well is another kettle of fish).
That said, the management (that's ALL the board) must keep up their end of the bargain and remember that they are in charge of something that intrinsically belongs to the fans and the town....it is after all, called Southend United and not Martin FC Plc or some such.

That said, the management (that's ALL the board) must keep up their end of the bargain and remember that they are in charge of something that intrinsically belongs to the fans and the town....it is after all, called Southend United and not Martin FC Plc or some such.

Not in the mind of Our Glorious Leader it isn't...

Back