• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lets not get too carried away

Firestorm

Pedant
This time last year we had 74 points with 5 to go, our next game up was a friday match against local-ish rivals.

We finished the season on 78 points
P5 W1 D1 L3 ...........

Whilst a similar run in may not cost us automatic promotion this time it would definately make for a few squeaky bottom moments,
It will certainly not be the first time we have let championships / promotion slip with a poor run in (last year was the third one I can recall (90-91, 71-72 were the other two)

Rubbish! We're going up as Champions. No doubt in my mind.

The team spirit and resiliance of this side is second to none in my time supporting the Shrimpers and there's no way we'll not win at least two of the remaining 5 games.

I'm not buying this. As I said on the 606 boards last night if you can't be confident when you're 8 points clear with five games to go when can you be?

I reckon we'll get draws over the weekend, we'll win against Donny to wrap up the league then finish with a defeat at Swansea and a draw at home to Bristol City to finish with a below-par-but-still-good-enough six points from the last five matches.

If the teams below us looked in the least bit capable of catching us then I'd be worried. But even if we lost all our games I wouldn't be surprised if two of the teams below us still didn't overtake us.

We had 3 away games to play then as well, whilst this time we have 2.

I agree though it's not all settled, Gillingham are a bit of an unknown quality at the moment IMO (Although they looked crap at their place). We'll see though, don't think we'll repeat last season but it is possible. I think we have a much more capable squad this season and the ability to learn from last season is there also.

And if we repeat last season - 4 points from 5 games - I am certain that will be enough to go up anyway. But I'd rather it didn't get that tight!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ April 13 2006,13:17)]We had 3 away games to play then as well, whilst this time we have 2.

I agree though it's not all settled, Gillingham are a bit of an unknown quality at the moment IMO (Although they looked crap at their place). We'll see though, don't think we'll repeat last season but it is possible. I think we have a much more capable squad this season and the ability to learn from last season is there also.
I've read several times on this board that we have the ability to learn from last season's experience. This implies that there were lessons to be learned and that mistakes were made last season which will not be repeated this time around.

Well I don't know what we did wrong last season and what we could have done differently.  The team tried its utmost and the supporters supported in numbers. If nerves got to us then that is surely something that can't be controlled and if it happens again then that can't be controlled either. This is, after all, apart from the Goat and Bradbury, the same team.  

That being said I am confident that we will not slip up this season. Not because of anything we learned from last season but because we are in a better position at this stage than we were in at the same stage last season.

Last year we had Scunny, Yeovil & Swansea all sprinting for the line. This year we have Brentford, Swansea, Huddersfield & Col******r all crawling there on their hands and knees. And we're far further clear at the top than we were then.

The different that last season we were 4 point clear of 4th placed Swansea with 5 game to go. This season, we are 9 points clear of Col ewes & Hudderfield, Iam sure Brentford or Hudderfield would love to be in our postion with 5 game to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blake @ April 13 2006,13:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ April 13 2006,13:17)]We had 3 away games to play then as well, whilst this time we have 2.

I've read several times on this board that we have the ability to learn from last season's experience. This implies that there were lessons to be learned and that mistakes were made last season which will not be repeated this time around.

Well I don't know what we did wrong last season and what we could have done differently.  The team tried its utmost and the supporters supported in numbers. If nerves got to us then that is surely something that can't be controlled and if it happens again then that can't be controlled either. This is, after all, apart from the Goat and Bradbury, the same team.  

That being said I am confident that we will not slip up this season. Not because of anything we learned from last season but because we are in a better position at this stage than we were in at the same stage last season.
But I think Nerves are something that can be overcome, or at least controlled....

As you say, this squad is largely the same apart from the adddition of Goater and Bradbury, two people who have played in much much bigger occassions then a League one run in.

Of the players who went through it all last year, the run in last year was an unknown quantity and there were definately nerves and anxiety. However, once this scuppered our automatic promotion chances, they were able to regroup and get through 3 high pressured 'cup finals' in the play offs. That experience should put them in good stead with playing under pressure and getting the results...something the blackpool game showed..

Yep, going up in Play-off is 5 x more pressure than going up Auto as in Play-Off, 1 mistake would be different in going up or staying in same league for next season.

If we can handle the Play-Off, we can handle anything.

Mainly the same players but a year older you have to remember.

If you'd have transported this team back to a year ago I reckon we would've done far better.

Whilst it's a great position to be in, and the other teams appear to be stumbling I won't relax until we're mathematically promoted and champions. And I would hope the players do the same!

We're all happy at the moment and think it's in the bag, however we're playing in-form Gillingham who since getting stuffed to Forest have beaten all the teams just below us. We are then going to Barnsley who are fighting for a play off/promotion place. We could quite easily come away from both these games with no points, hopefully we won't, but if the other teams win both their games suddenly there's only 2/3 points in it with 3 to go and it's wide open again.

Still, theres also the chance we could be promoted on Monday!!
biggrin.gif
It's a funny old game.

Exactly. Very, very tough game tomorrow. If we show any complacency on the pitch, we won't get anything out of the game. But we are easily good enough to win - hopefully the boys relax, play their football, Freddy scores another wonder goal, and we get the three points.

Let's not talk Gillingham up too much. They've got an abysmal away record - the win at Franchise FC the other week was only their second of the season. Yes they've beaten some good sides in recent weeks, but we've been beating teams throughout the season.

I'm certain the squad will have learnt a lot from the harsh lesson that was meted out last year - we'll be fine.

Dont think thats fair. gillinghams record over the season may not be great, but in the last 4 games they have beaten Swansea, Brentford and Huddersfield, and Milton Keynes away.

As some bloke once said you are only as good as your last game, and if you look at their last 4 they are doing well.

We have home advantage and are in reasonable form, yet we have a lot more pressure on us than they do.

As to the original poster, as you say we had an awful run in last season and threw it away, but this year that will get us up due to our substantial lead and goal difference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ April 13 2006,16:03)]I know it sounds like pessimism, but lets not think to far beyond the Gillingham game tomorrow.
Exactly!

Cant f%&king wait!!!!!!!!

Bring it on!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ April 13 2006,16:14)]Let's not talk Gillingham up too much. They've got an abysmal away record - the win at Franchise FC the other week was only their second of the season.
And you know who their first away win was against?

Swansea 2-1 !!!

So the players must be alert for the full 90mins today unlike against Blackpool otherwise we may be punished more severely.
oops.gif

Back