• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Liam Ridgewell

Trouble is nobody knows the situation. A lot of us are assuming he’s still getting paid, as we have no other reason to think otherwise.

Having said that, we had a sort of similar thing with Kightly at the end of last year, where the Echo reported he was “set to retire”, with no announcement until months afterwards, even though it was clear he retired straight after the season.

It could be that Ridgewell has left, the club and echo just haven’t announced it.

Plus if he’s not at training and not injured it becomes more likely he’s not here anymore

Or
That our Chairman does not offer contracts to players who not going to play. If only he was careful!

Or stops hiring managers with no management ability or big names on big money.

Give a younger hungrier up and coming manager a job. The kind that has run a little club in league 2 and has performed wonders.

That's the kind we want.

Yes I know Campbell did well and I know we have to judge him on his own signings but I'm still not convinced that someone with 50 million in the bank is going to be as hungry as someone who's lively hood is on the line.

While football is an odd business, (where else do you get a signing on bonus?) I struggle to comprehend that Liam is both not training/coming into "work" AND being paid?
The silence from all parties in this suggests that there is sort of NDA in place.

Ridgewell is still a registered Southend player and EFL rules if a player has left you have to de-register him, I also believe he is still on the payroll.

From his side he probably doesn't want to cancel a contract that he entered into in good faith, the fact we no longer want him he probably thinks thats not my issue.

Like him or not the law is on his side in this. Personally if it was me in this situation I would say fair do's it hasn't worked out for either side so I will move on, but not everyone is like that

Last edited:
Be careful what u wish for

If Ron Martin was a product, the marketing slogan would be: "Not quite as bad as a handful of really, really bad chairmen".

I'm glad we as a fanbase are comfortable with having only about the 10th worst chairman in the football league.

If Ron Martin was a product, the marketing slogan would be: "Not quite as bad as a handful of really, really bad chairmen".

I'm glad we as a fanbase are comfortable with having only about the 10th worst chairman in the football league.

Better the devil you know?

Ridgewell is still a registered Southend player and EFL rules if a player has left you have to de-register him, I also believe he is still on the payroll.

From his side he probably doesn't want to cancel a contract that he entered into in good faith, the fact we no longer want him he probably thinks thats not my issue.

Like him or not the law is on his side in this. Personally if it was me in this situation I would say fair do's it hasnt worked out for either side so I will move on, but not all footballers are like that

What about from the club's side. He had possibly the worst debut of all time at Southend.
Then instead of what normally happens in that a player gets his head down in training and works on the aspects of his game that contributed to the nightmare debut, and then works his way back into the team, he sort of downed tools, didn't attend anything, and then disappeared.
That's not what he's paid a very tidy sum per week to do. There are things that are not written in a contract, as it goes without saying, and most professional footballers would find it insulting if those things were in a contract. It's meant to be a given. Liam Ridgewell has failed the club and supporters miserably, He's basically taken the p out of all of us, whilst still taking a pay cheque from a club in severe financial difficulty.

Well we don't have a choice really, do we?

****ing depressing though.

Nope. Ron has the club over a barrel. He walks away, that's the end. He seems to have financial difficulties and the labrythine factor of his companies structure seems only in place to keep him (and us) afloat with money that seemingly doesn't exist.

What about from the club's side. He had possibly the worst debut of all time at Southend.
Then instead of what normally happens in that a player gets his head down in training and works on the aspects of his game that contributed to the nightmare debut, and then works his way back into the team, he sort of downed tools, didn't attend anything, and then disappeared.
That's not what he's paid a very tidy sum per week to do. There are things that are not written in a contract, as it goes without saying, and most professional footballers would find it insulting if those things were in a contract. It's meant to be a given. Liam Ridgewell has failed the club and supporters miserably, He's basically taken the p out of all of us, whilst still taking a pay cheque from a club in severe financial difficulty.
I am not defending him in anyway far far from it, he hasn't given us anything, however the contract was signed by both sides and they were happy with it. There is nothing the club can do if he doesn't wish to walk away, with a part pay off.

Maybe he could be done under misconduct for not turning up etc, it is also possible that the club could also have told him to stay away and therefor that doesn't come into play

Nope. Ron has the club over a barrel. He walks away, that's the end. He seems to have financial difficulties and the labrythine factor of his companies structure seems only in place to keep him (and us) afloat with money that seemingly doesn't exist.

In a nutshell.

Especially the last line

While football is an odd business, (where else do you get a signing on bonus?)

It's a very odd business really. Where else are people told they can only change employer in January or August?

Where else would you get an industry where 90% of the companies in it are consistently running at a loss and needing people to fund them?

Where else would you find an industry where many of the 'office workers' are paid more than the person who manages them?

Where else would you get 1000's of people coming to watch you work?

Where else would you get groups of predominantly men singing in public aimed at other groups of men?

The odd thing is, if we want rid of him then why pay him to sit at home and do nothing? I’d have him in every day running laps of the training ground in the pouring rain - that might make him think again and ready to negotiate a pay off!

The odd thing is, if we want rid of him then why pay him to sit at home and do nothing? I’d have him in every day running laps of the training ground in the pouring rain - that might make him think again and ready to negotiate a pay off!
maybe he is a bad influence? just speculating

Back