• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A management team of Powell & Tilly, with AB & Maher involved in a consultancy role and hopefully at least another season on the pitch for the former.

Would really feel like our club! :thumbsup:

Never believe these rumours but, a dodgy spell at Northampton aside, has a pretty good pedigree and is currently top of the conference.

plays exciting attacking football, maybe not a great name as some may have hoped but could do a lot worse.

Never believe these rumours but, a dodgy spell at Northampton aside, has a pretty good pedigree and is currently top of the conference.

Being top of the Conference would certainly suggest he has the skills for a team looking to get out of Division 4 ........ but getting from Division 3 to Division 2 is a slightly different kettle of fish I would suggest. But still, I suspect there are worse candidates ......... except that there is no managerial vacancy! :blush:

As a side shot, I would rather have Murphy back than even consider Neil Warnock. :'(

Hash tag: Perhapsnotbutyougettheidea

Being top of the Conference would certainly suggest he has the skills for a team looking to get out of Division 4 ........ but getting from Division 3 to Division 2 is a slightly different kettle of fish I would suggest. But still, I suspect there are worse candidates ......... except that there is no managerial vacancy! :blush:

If that's your knock on him, I think he's done that with Bristol City already.

To be fair , Johnson is a decent boss + if we had to re employ he's not a bad one to have , but despite the bucketful of criticism that we all pour upon him , Phil Brown is still a decent manager. He is tinkering massively with formations, styles + personnel but once he gets it right i can still see us putting in a decent run for the remainder of the season.

If i give my crystal ball a good polish i think that our best manager in the next 10 years will be Andy Edwards --- he's been pulling up trees with Orient U-18s , assisted by Danny Webb ... and are very highly regarded in the game... and in my eyes Eagle was a proper Southend legend too.

His pedigree is decent enough just not sure he's the manager he once was, in his 60's now and his son looks a better bet.

I know he isn't a popular choice and very much doubt he has enough experience for Ron but I'd like Ainsworth should Brown go

To be fair , Johnson is a decent boss + if we had to re employ he's not a bad one to have , but despite the bucketful of criticism that we all pour upon him , Phil Brown is still a decent manager. He is tinkering massively with formations, styles + personnel but once he gets it right i can still see us putting in a decent run for the remainder of the season.

If i give my crystal ball a good polish i think that our best manager in the next 10 years will be Andy Edwards --- he's been pulling up trees with Orient U-18s , assisted by Danny Webb ... and are very highly regarded in the game... and in my eyes Eagle was a proper Southend legend too.

Hiring an ex-player as a manager is always a good idea in my book. :thumbsup:

Steve Claridge?:omg:

Yeah, didn't mind him.

Very much of topic, but there are a fair few in and from the lower leagues I can't abide - fat Evans being easily top of that list. Fergie Junior, Johnson and Ainsworth are three others who spring easily to mind.

Dean Austin is doing rather better as a coach, he's the current assistant at Watford. Dean has the Pro licence as well, and was here in 2005 under Tilly as head of recruitment and coach. Dean has also played under Venables in two clubs, so has learned from El Tel and Tilly, a winning combination. (He was also assistant to Brendan Rodgers at Watford...)

Mike Marsh has also worked at the very top in coaching circles.

Well personally I like Gary Johnson and enjoy watching his teams play football. My hope is that Phil Brown stays (didn't think I'd say that a couple of years ago) but if we are looking around then Johnson is a good contingency to have.

I like the idea of Andy Edwards.

1989-91 under Webby's second spell Tilly, Spinner and Eagle all get consecutive promotions.

2004-06 under Tilly's second spell, we get consecutive promotions with Spinner and Eagle.

Or we could go Barrett who has been part of the last 3 promotions across two spells.

His pedigree is decent enough just not sure he's the manager he once was, in his 60's now and his son looks a better bet.

I know he isn't a popular choice and very much doubt he has enough experience for Ron but I'd like Ainsworth should Brown go

Yeah, Ron really likes the older manager doesn't he?

Yeah, didn't mind him.

Very much of topic, but there are a fair few in and from the lower leagues I can't abide - fat Evans being easily top of that list. Fergie Junior, Johnson and Ainsworth are three others who spring easily to mind.

You seem to take offence at the slightest thing but like Steve Claridge. That makes absolutely no sense.

I can't stand Claridge and one of my biggest regrets as a Southend fan is that none of our players managed to put him in the Roots Hall stands during his playing days.

I like Johnson as well. He's got the experience and pedigree.

It wouldn't get the pulse going, but I couldn't argue that there wouldn't be logic behind it.

Not exactly a progressive appointment, but a safe pair of hands who, in the balance of properties, wouldn't get us relegated.

I'd personally like to see Powell given a chance, but the risk/reward with his presumably costly appointment would be fairly substantial.

Not exactly a progressive appointment, but a safe pair of hands who, in the balance of properties, wouldn't get us relegated.

I'd personally like to see Powell given a chance, but the risk/reward with his presumably costly appointment would be fairly substantial.

That's what Ron deals with on a daily basis.

Back