• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Live Music

Mrs P

First XI
Am bored at work and as not much doing in 'the pub' today thought I'd start a topic!!

I'm off to Milton Keynes tomorrow with the girls to see Sir Robbie Williams in what I'm sure will be a thoroughly brilliant show!! I think support acts are Orson, Ordinary Boys and Basement Jaxx!!

So who's been to see any good acts lately that are worth catching in the future or indeed any that people should avoid???

Williams. Avoid. Like the plague.

To late for a refund?
biggrin.gif

Mrs P...in all seriousness....I'd advise coming up the A5 instead on the M1....roadworks between 6 - 10 are a nightmare....watch your speed...40mph average speed cameras.

I can rarely be arsed with live music these days but I saw Arcade Fire last year and it was among the top 3 shows of all time for me. If you have the chance to see them and don't take it you're a fool.

saw oasis at the MK Bowl with littleman last year.. best day ever!
Great venue for the summer..

madness are quality live as well..
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 14 2006,13:08)]saw oasis at the MK Bowl with littleman last year.. best day ever!
Really? I went to that and thought it was a bit rubbish. Zutons were probably the highlight of the day for me.

That said, getting down the front for Rock N Roll Star and going mental was pretty good fun.

My probalme is probably just that I'm starting to despise big venue gigs more and more. I'd rather watch a less accomplished band in a small venue than a big act in a big one.

Best idea, IMO, is to go abroad to see bands. Pick places where they aren't that big and you can get to see real quality acts in small venues.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 14 2006,13:31)]Best idea, IMO, is to go abroad to see bands. Pick places where they aren't that big and you can get to see real quality acts in small venues.
Or discover bands earlier in their career when you can still see them in small UK venues with no w%&kers in attendance
biggrin.gif

Just thought of another recommendation - The Strokes. Seen them 3 times now (first time was at Col******r Arts Centre in 2001
cool.gif
) and they've never been less than fantastic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 14 2006,13:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 14 2006,13:08)]saw oasis at the MK Bowl with littleman last year.. best day ever!
Really? I went to that and thought it was a bit rubbish. Zutons were probably the highlight of the day for me.
I've only ever heard negative things about the MK Bowl too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Sep. 14 2006,13:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 14 2006,13:31)]Best idea, IMO, is to go abroad to see bands.  Pick places where they aren't that big and you can get to see real quality acts in small venues.
Or discover bands earlier in their career when you can still see them in small UK venues with no w%&kers in attendance
biggrin.gif

Just thought of another recommendation - The Strokes. Seen them 3 times now (first time was at Col******r Arts Centre in 2001
cool.gif
) and they've never been less than fantastic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 14 2006,13:31)]
[b said:
Really?  I went to that and thought it was a bit rubbish.  Zutons were probably the highlight of the day for me.
I've only ever heard negative things about the MK Bowl too.
Oasis were sh1te, as were the warm-ups...didn't see the Zutons.

The Bowl itself is alright for bands, can see the stage from pretty much anywhere.

One annoying thing about the day was that the Zutons got a bad reception due to Babyshambles pulling out or being arrested or whatever they happened to be doing that day. They still managed to put together a quality performance at, presumably, little notice.

What annoys me the most about these big events is that tickets cost you £40 when you don't choose the support acts. If Babyshambles had been on then I would have not enjoyed ANY of the support acts and would be paying £40 just for Oasis. How is it that they make the venue much bigger, put it outdoors and stand you on what is basically a field and yet they charge you so much more for the experience? Surely it should be cheaper tickets seeing as they offer you nothing other than a stage, a band and a pretty poor view.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mrs P @ Sep. 14 2006,12:48)]Am bored at work and as not much doing in 'the pub' today thought I'd start a topic!!

I'm off to Milton Keynes tomorrow with the girls to see Sir Robbie Williams in what I'm sure will be a thoroughly brilliant show!! I think support acts are Orson, Ordinary Boys and Basement Jaxx!!

So who's been to see any good acts lately that are worth catching in the future or indeed any that people should avoid???
I went to Dublin to see Robbie a few years back with some friends - a great weekend and he certainly knows how to put on a show even if some of his music is a bit dubious.

Re. Basement Jaxx - tried to get into the JJB tent at V a few years back to see them but it was rammed. From the outside though, they sounded awesome - it's one act that I really want to see - very jealous!

Other than that - I actually think that one of the best gigs/concerts that I have been to is Limp Bizkit with Bob Cratchitt. Great seats to the side of the stage at London Arena so got a really good view of the stage and they really put 110% into the performance. Great night out.

I went to watch my mate's band, Glavion, play in a Battle of the Bands at the weekend. First time I'd seen a gig in months. Very good stuff as well. Bit like Portishead mixed with PJ Harvey.

I went Download festival this year

Guns n roses were amazing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MK Shrimper @ Sep. 14 2006,12:59)]Williams. Avoid. Like the plague.

To late for a refund?
biggrin.gif
This is my 6th time seeing Robbie!! Be ace!! Always a good show, he is an entertainer!!

I saw Oasis at the bowl last year and in all seriousness thought werent great!! Even though love them!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Turkishshrimper @ Sep. 14 2006,14:07)]I went Download festival this year

Guns n roses were amazing!
they aren't the real GNR tho.

fell city girl are a very good up and coming band from oxford.

alice cooper was excellant as is Rammstein, Limp Bizkit and Disturbed. Nine Inch Nails are awesome, and Marilyn Manson always puts on a good show.

Foo Fighters, and the Chili Peppers were great, but the venues were small.

Saw Korn out in the states a few years back, they were good.

Ryan Adams puts on a good gig too

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mrs P @ Sep. 14 2006,13:48)]I'm off to Milton Keynes tomorrow with the girls to see Sir Robbie Williams in what I'm sure will be a thoroughly brilliant show!! I think support acts are Orson, Ordinary Boys and Basement Jaxx!!
I saw Robbie Williams at Knebworth in 2003 (and experienced none of the problems that the media picked up on and exaggerated) after TFS saved my bacon and sold me his tickets so I could take the missus for her birthday, she being a huge Robbie Williams fan. The support acts were The Darkness (bizarre but enjoyable), Kelly Osborne (time for that mid-afternoon snooze), Ash (foot-tapping dullness) and Moby (awesome; my favourite act of the day). I'm far from a fan of Robbie Williams but I do concede that the man knows how to put on a show and it was a far better act than I had imagined. But, whilst the missus was buzzing about Robbie all the way home (plus the surprise appearance of Mark Owen), I was thinking about how great Moby was. He is mahoosive in Spain so I hope to catch him again in the near future.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 14 2006,21:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mrs P @ Sep. 14 2006,13:48)]I'm off to Milton Keynes tomorrow with the girls to see Sir Robbie Williams in what I'm sure will be a thoroughly brilliant show!! I think support acts are Orson, Ordinary Boys and Basement Jaxx!!
I saw Robbie Williams at Knebworth in 2003 (and experienced none of the problems that the media picked up on and exaggerated) after TFS saved my bacon and sold me his tickets so I could take the missus for her birthday, she being a huge Robbie Williams fan. The support acts were The Darkness (bizarre but enjoyable), Kelly Osborne (time for that mid-afternoon snooze), Ash (foot-tapping dullness) and Moby (awesome; my favourite act of the day). I'm far from a fan of Robbie Williams but I do concede that the man knows how to put on a show and it was a far better act than I had imagined. But, whilst the missus was buzzing about Robbie all the way home (plus the surprise appearance of Mark Owen), I was thinking about how great Moby was. He is mahoosive in Spain so I hope to catch him again in the near future.
Reckon I was at the very same night XS as got very excited at the appearance of Mark Owen!! Knebworth was very good although I was very sober and not jumping around alot as was 6 months preggers!!

Myself and Mr P also rated Moby and found the Darkness odd but OK.. Liked Ash too actually...

Well worth the entry money that day!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gilbo @ Sep. 14 2006,20:56)]Ryan Adams puts on a good gig too
Hoping to go see Adams at the end of the month at Shepherds Bush as never seen him before. The man is a genius!

only 2 weeks till me and littleman go 2 brixton 4 babyshambles, cant wait...have to agree with the mrs that the fat poof williams does put on a good show, i still say JAMES are the best live act ive seen....and as some1 else said earlier large outdoor gigs are normally sh!te

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elmo putney @ Sep. 18 2006,14:50)]i still say JAMES are the best live act ive seen....
i know i can be entertaining but please..
oops.gif

Back