• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Yes, we are on a super little run at the moment. And Sturrock and the team must be praised for that. But, it is clear we need to strengthen the team in several departments. That is of course if we are serious about giving the Play-Off's a go...

IMO in an ideal world, we need the following:

Centre Half (Cover or replacement for Phillips/Coughlan/Bilel)
Right Back (Cover for Clohessy)
Right or Left Winger (Replacement for Soares. Cover for Hall)
Striker x 2 (1 x Pacey) & (1 x Unit)

The window has been open for well over a week now. Not a sniff of a signing yet. We need to get bodies in and sharpish. Some of the current 11 are looking a bit tired now. But we have no real quality to deputise. It would be a real shame if a lack of loan signings, cost us a shot at the Play-Off's this season.

Don't get me wrong, I am astounded we are anywhere near 7th spot. But somehow we have managed it, and we need to go for it now and try and get out of this awful league, at the first opportunity.

Here's hoping we see some quality arrive soon...

Yes, we are on a super little run at the moment. And Sturrock and the team must be praised for that. But, it is clear we need to strengthen the team in several departments. That is of course if we are serious about giving the Play-Off's a go...

The window has been open for well over a week now. Not a sniff of a signing yet. We need to get bodies in and sharpish. Some of the current 11 are looking a bit tired now. But we have no real quality to deputise. It would be a real shame if a lack of loan signings, cost us a shot at the Play-Off's this season.

Don't get me wrong, I am astounded we are anywhere near 7th spot. But somehow we have managed it, and we need to go for it now and try and get out of this awful league, at the first opportunity.

Sturrock said as much last night in the post match interview. But it's a question of getting the right ones in. Also IF the unpaid salary rumours are true, we may well be under an embargo at the moment.

Sturrock said as much last night in the post match interview. But it's a question of getting the right ones in. Also IF the unpaid salary rumours are true, we may well be under an embargo at the moment.

Yes, this is also a concern. IF no bodies arrive in the next couple of weeks, I think that will confirm our fears...

The unpaid salary rumours are about some of the non playing staff aren't they ?

Not only a few loan signings are needed but I hope we are starting to talk to players who we already have to give them extensions.

The unpaid salary rumours are about some of the non playing staff aren't they ?

Not only a few loan signings are needed but I hope we are starting to talk to players who we already have to give them extensions.

Plenty of people on here have "heard" that this extends to some of the players, outside of the regular starters...

Oh goody we can have the return of...
Um_Bongo.png

Very sad indeed. It seems our strikers are sick note Corr and yet unfulfilled Crawford. Sturrock jr is a link man and I dont believe we should be expecting goals from him and Asante is an unknown, untried quantity. When we had the extra cover of Pato and Screech we still brought in loanees yet now we are bare bones up front the transfer tom-toms have gone quiet. So much for PS and his assurance of more people coming in. It is sad when the likes of Stockport can take someone on loan where we cannot. Hope someone comes in soon to surprise me and if so, all well and good. At the end of the day we sit poised, looking likely to fall back into also ran regions of the league and not push for play-offs because of, as usual, squad limitations, generally imposed by the constant hand to mouth existence. This division is so poor this season that it may be some time before we get the opportunity to escape it so easily again.

Very sad indeed. It seems our strikers are sick note Corr and yet unfulfilled Crawford. Sturrock jr is a link man and I dont believe we should be expecting goals from him and Asante is an unknown, untried quantity. When we had the extra cover of Pato and Screech we still brought in loanees yet now we are bare bones up front the transfer tom-toms have gone quiet. So much for PS and his assurance of more people coming in. It is sad when the likes of Stockport can take someone on loan where we cannot. Hope someone comes in soon to surprise me and if so, all well and good. At the end of the day we sit poised, looking likely to fall back into also ran regions of the league and not push for play-offs because of, as usual, squad limitations, generally imposed by the constant hand to mouth existence. This division is so poor this season that it may be some time before we get the opportunity to escape it so easily again.

Indeed. We have been complete and utter gash for most of the season. Yet we are amazingly 1 win shy of 7th spot. And looking at the teams in trouble in League 1, and those pushing for promotion from the Blue Sq, next year's League 2 could be quite a bit more challenging.

We are nicely placed. Let's bloody well go for it.

Why?:stunned:

Why?:stunned:

What happens if Clohessy get's injured or suspended?

Whoever fills in, will be out of position. Square peg, round hole again.

Ok, not top of the list of priorities, but as PS said. We need 2 for each position. Comminges maybe able to deputise, but he look's well short of the required fitness levels...

Comminges is a right back so thats that sorted.
Its more the attacking third we need some more bodies. At the mo the first 11 are doing great but injuries and suspensions will hit eventually. Seeing Soares and Crawford on the bench sorry these guys arent good enough.

How many players will join just to be cover though? Surely better off warming their own bench?

What happens if Clohessy get's injured or suspended?

Whoever fills in, will be out of position. Square peg, round hole again.

Ok, not top of the list of priorities, but as PS said. We need 2 for each position. Comminges maybe able to deputise, but he look's well short of the required fitness levels...

Comminges is primarily a right-back.

I'd like to think his fitness has improved in the six weeks since making his one and only first team start for us.

If Clohessy was to get injured and Comminges isn't fit, THEN I'd like to see a player come in. No point bringing loanees in just as cover.

i know it's a bit of a non league idea (sorry I have watched a bit of it over the last few years) and sadly football is becoming a little bit user pays these days (plus the club looks like it is skint)....but do we have any initiatives like the 12th man for fans to get involved (apologies I not too sure what the Trust does so they may have it covered).

I know the Oxford 12th man (the fans)...it was either last or the previous season...raised a very good 5 figure number and it allowed the manager to bring in players...the fund was only for this use. Players are not paid that much at this level (well if I go off the stats publish on here anyway) and even if you got 500 fans at £5 a week it could be the difference as to the quality you could bring it.

Probably too late to do something now as it would take a bit of organisation and I am not too sure if it would take off at Southend. But sometimes you have a ask yourself is there even a little more I can do for the club (it only takes a few to think like this / or are in the position to and it might happen). Conversely obviously if we are struggling to pay our players / staff then it might be too sensative a scheme to consider.

It was just an idea.

i know it's a bit of a non league idea (sorry I have watched a bit of it over the last few years) and sadly football is becoming a little bit user pays these days (plus the club looks like it is skint)....but do we have any initiatives like the 12th man for fans to get involved (apologies I not too sure what the Trust does so they may have it covered).

I know the Oxford 12th man (the fans)...it was either last or the previous season...raised a very good 5 figure number and it allowed the manager to bring in players...the fund was only for this use. Players are not paid that much at this level (well if I go off the stats publish on here anyway) and even if you got 500 fans at £5 a week it could be the difference as to the quality you could bring it.

Probably too late to do something now as it would take a bit of organisation and I am not too sure if it would take off at Southend. But sometimes you have a ask yourself is there even a little more I can do for the club (it only takes a few to think like this / or are in the position to and it might happen). Conversely obviously if we are struggling to pay our players / staff then it might be too sensative a scheme to consider.

It was just an idea.

And i very good idea as well and would be more than interested in this as i'm sure many others would be

It was just an idea.

Cue posts of "I would not put anything in RM's pocket"

Ive been thinking about this too Smiffy but we all know its not going to happen. PS supposedly had all these targets and the only reason we got Sawyer was because he was free and cheap and playing non-league. We've shifted people off the wage bill and havent replaced them yet ... and i cant see that changing. Its ashame because like you've said, there is hardly alot of quality in the league and its a good chance to get back into L1 and we need to act quickly IMO as one or 2 more injuries and we wont be competitive especially when playing 2 games per week!

Back