• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reading Shrimper

First XI
There's so much potential for us to spread the word about our Club.
Here in Berks, Reading 107 has updates on the team with every news report. Every week they give away a pair of free tickets to the weekend's match. They constantly big up the Royals, and regularly have phone-ins by the Supporters' Trust, fans, and management. Basically they do everything possible to get people interested and along to the Madejski Stadium each week.
If we had even half of that on, say, Essex FM, imagine how we could spread the world about the Seasiders? Here's hoping the new Southend radio station (companies are bidding on the new frequency that has just been released) could get behind the Blues.

BBC Essex has improved a lot of late, all Blues games are now carried live on their own FM frequency which is a real godsend if you are unable to attend away games (in my case). I agree that more should be done to promote the club, but whether it is Essex FM or BBC Essex the devil is in the detail - Essex, not a particular town.

Obviously if a town has a dedicated station then it can up itself and club as much as possible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 03 2005,15:41)]in fairness to Essex FM they have got a lot lot better recently, including interviews with the players and yours truly ( oh and Napster ).
Reading Shrimper was referring to how his local station gives air time to professionals rather than eager amateurs.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 03 2005,17:00)]You and ORM snuggled together in your big comfy armchair...............................
I just threw up!

sad.gif

I will be going to 5 games over the Xmas and New Year period and probably clocking up more mileage than you do all season following the Shrimpers.

tounge.gif

Proper fan debate now re-opened!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 03 2005,16:06)]I just threw up!

sad.gif

I will be going to 5 games over the Xmas and New Year period and probably clocking up more mileage than you do all season following the Shrimpers.

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
But did you go to see us get knocked out by Gray in the ESC,

Didn't think so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Nov. 03 2005,17:55)]
[b said:

sad.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Didn't think so.
Kevin or Wayne?

tounge.gif

BBC Essex has indeed got better, but as we are not the only team in Essex added to the fact that half of Essex supports West Ham probably stops them giving tickets away. The new station for Southend might want to follow that one up though...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 03 2005,16:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Nov. 03 2005,17:55)]
[b said:

sad.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Didn't think so.
Kevin or Wayne?

tounge.gif
*Sticks finger in ears*

Na Na Na, I'm not listening

For those that are interested, here's the lowdown on the new Southend radio station:

OfCom - Southend on Sea

At the bottom, they mention that locals should email in what they think the new station needs or what they want. Time to get emailing asking for coverage and promotion of SUFC!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Nov. 03 2005,21:25)]Shrimperzone FM anybody.....?

tounge.gif
Not if it'll mainly be Napster or Leeboy on it all the time

oops.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I suppose Leeboy's choice in music would be ok....dunno about Napster playing all that sh!te he listens to...he could be the Tim Westwood of the station acting all 'Homey Hip Hop' whilst really being middle class and white!  
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Nov. 03 2005,21:30)]I suppose Leeboy's choice in music would be ok....dunno about Napster playing all that sh!te he listens to...he could be the Tim Westwood of the station acting all 'Homey Hip Hop' whilst really being middle class and white!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Oh dear......
tounge.gif

BBC Essex do a good job on match days but its pretty tardy aside from that, just the ramblings of that old buffoon whose name escapes me for the mo but in his ramblings any real detail on SUFC is glossed over in a flash anyway.

BBC Essex could learn alot sadly from their neighbours in BBC Suffolk. Here every DJ seems to be a committed Tractor Boy, ramming down the throats of the yocals day in day out the merits or not of ITFC to the point of obsession. They really get the name of their team across, especially in the morning breakfast shows. We just get 10 secs of Buxton (that's his name) at 45 mins past the hour three or four times a day. No wonder the local population still seem apathetic (for a town the size of Southend and the surrounding area even with the recent up turn the turnout is poor). THe Club are the ones that should probably see if they can instigate better publicity here - I am sure it would pay dividends. That we do not seem to do this is a real lost opportunity.

If the SUFC 'Marketing Dept' read this then tune in to BBC Suffolk tomorrow morning to listen and learn, then go and talk to BBC Essex.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 03 2005,14:41)]in fairness to Essex FM they have got a lot lot better recently, including interviews with the players and yours truly ( oh and Napster ).
talk about scraping the barrel

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Shrimper @ Nov. 03 2005,21:42)]for a town the size of Southend and the surrounding area even with the recent up turn the turnout is poor
I agree that we could do with some more radio exposure but you have to consider that Ipswich only really have Norwich (and even they are 50 miles away) to compete for their fans. We have all the london clubs and the fact that a lot of families in Southend are West Ham based, and all their kids will be duly converted....

If we can increase our fan base so we get 8,000 a week in the future, we'll have done well.

The key really is in the coverage area of the radio station. There is only one team in Suffolk, hence Radio Suffolk can get away with being 100% pure tractor boys. Although there is only one team in Essex, there are a couple of other teams that happen to fall within the transmission area of BBC Essex....

The new station will be purely for Southend and surrounding area, so providing Canvey don't suddenly become successful, they will have only one team to talk about!

Down here, the local stations all give coverage to the local teams, but the station just for Portsmouth, The Quay, does give a huge amount of coverage to Pompey, and the local station for Southampton was taken over a couple of years ago by the station owned by Southampton Football Club, so we now get The Saint, broadcasting from the stadium, with all the latest news and even players presenting some of the programmes.

So, how about putting a bid in, Uncle Ron, for Shrimpers FM? I'm sure Tilly would make a great breakfast show presenter!

biggrin.gif

Back