• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I first started watching Southend United at the old Greyhound Stadium in 1947.So not quiet 70 years.But have only missed 4 home matches. That was when I could'nt get home when doing my National Service in the RAF

Magnificent achievement,well done sir.

Would be a brilliant gesture from the club to somehow honour your good self,maybe a free ST.

My uncle still a season ticket holder at 89 years old. was regularly going away games until his mid 80s

I also have been going since the old Sutton road stadium. My grandad used to take me even to the reserve games. I don't go much these days but still an avid fan. I was at the hall for the first game v Norwich. I am 68 now so not quite as long as Mr Blue but not far behind.
as always UTB

My first game Man City in the cup, which was 1955 i believe. Think it was the first season at Roots Hall, in the old third div South. I miss my Roots Hall fix, living here in Turkey, but i get to live in the sun with swimming pool and all that, but i miss the buzz off match day.

Some great stories. I wonder if some of those standing and blocking people's views are feeling a bit sheepish now.

Some great stories. I wonder if some of those standing and blocking people's views are feeling a bit sheepish now.

Or for posting 'Its a working mans game' whilst forgetting that one of the cornerstones of working class principales is respect for your elders.

Unlikely, they have little consideration for others.

That is dedication for you, very impressed

I guess you would have lost count in terms of how many games you have watched, but I'd be interested to know which game stands out, or who your favourite player has been since 1947 :smile:
Of course the play off final at Wembley and Freddies free kick against Man Utd are stand out games.But the best one of all is the FA CUP 3rd found tie at home to Man City Jan 1956 .I will never forget the goalkeeping display of Bert Trautmann on a mud heap of a pitch

Of course the play off final at Wembley and Freddies free kick against Man Utd are stand out games.But the best one of all is the FA CUP 3rd found tie at home to Man City Jan 1956 .I will never forget the goalkeeping display of Bert Trautmann on a mud heap of a pitch

Apparently Bert Trautmann said in his autobiography that that was the best game he played. I've never read it so I don't know if it's true.

Apparently Bert Trautmann said in his autobiography that that was the best game he played. I've never read it so I don't know if it's true.
I have and I think he said it was the toughest game by far in their Cup-winning run.My first ever game was in the 1st round 1955,Hollis and Barker scored in the 2-0 win over QPR.....the Man C. game ,which was unbelievably one-sided, is definitely the most memorable in my 60 years watching the Blues.

I feel a little inadequate with only 64 years since my first game.

I saw McRory and Hollis play but have to be honest and say I cannot remember what they were like.

Now I live in County Durham so there isn't a close away game any more. My last game a superb hard working team performance at Hartlepool last year.

Too many good players to pick one out but I would have loved to see Bill Garner and Stan Collymore playing together.

I feel a little inadequate with only 64 years since my first game.

I saw McRory and Hollis play but have to be honest and say I cannot remember what they were like.

Now I live in County Durham so there isn't a close away game any more. My last game a superb hard working team performance at Hartlepool last year.

Too many good players to pick one out but I would have loved to see Bill Garner and Stan Collymore playing together.

What about Baron? What a trio !!

Who remembers seeing Wakefield, Loughran and Anderson? Later McGuigan (Is that how its spelt?) My heroes when I was a kid.

And as for Bert Trautman, his performance against us was the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen. In particular I can still remember a save he made from Roy Hollis where, I swear, he changed direction in mid air.

OOps !! I forgot to mention Jimmy McAlinden among my hereos. How could I?

Back