• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Longest Time without a drink since 18

Does anyone ?

Even when I drank if I was thirsty andwanted a nice tasting drink I wouldnt have chosen a beer.

I know some people like the taste of wine, I dont get it personally, tastes horrible to me.
Maybe thats one reason Im 99% teetotal, I only used to drink to get the effects, now Im not bothered about getting merry anymore I dont bother drinking at all.

I wish I could remember the make of some New Zealand white that I once had - it tasted like Gooseberries. Truly amazing. Also, if you go for the higher priced ones you'll be pleasantly surprised how lovely they are - I once had a VERY posh meal with accompanying posh wines that got me incredibly drunk but I had almost no hangover in the morning.

I have been a non alcohol drinker a few times, in my 20s for about 18 months after a fractured skull and a few other nasties. I gave up like others do, when I started training and running a few marathons in my 40s and then in my early 50s just could n't drink alcohol for a while as it made me Ill even in small quantities: I think it was all stress related but now, 4/5 jobs later I can supp again but don't want to get wasted ever again and only want to have either quality proper beer, good wine or proper single malt.:facepalm:

Exactly the same as me. I have rather a nice little Whisky collection too...

That's just funny. No idea why but it is. Suppose it happens a lot to you Barna.

:off topic: Nope.First and only time.Violence at gigs here is extremely rare.I was just unlucky.Bloke was a drunk who reckoned I was obstructing his view (the place was packed).Thumped me as I turned round to answer his tap on my shoulder.

Can't say I missed the booze at all while I was in hospital.Though I'm sure I've made up for it since.:smile:

Did you hit him back Barna? A whack round the head with your rolled up copy of the Guardian would have done the trick

I wish I could remember the make of some New Zealand white that I once had - it tasted like Gooseberries. Truly amazing.
Sounds like Cloudy Bay, my wine of choice when I want to treat myself. Though most NZ Sauvignons are a safe bet.

I do like the taste of the alcohol I drink, which is why I've always drunk on my own at home, it's not a 'getting drunk' thing, I just don't drink many other things. Don't drink tea or coffee and rarely have soft drinks so generally it's either booze or water. Lots of water going down at the moment!

People who used to drink but no longer do; would that have surprised your younger self?

I.e. I'm 35 now and can't imagine being (say) 55 and just not drinking at all. In terms of massive sessions, those tend to be a couple of times a year now rather than a couple of times a month, but just generally enjoying a few beers or a decent bottle of wine is something I can't ever see myself stopping.

People who used to drink but no longer do; would that have surprised your younger self?

I.e. I'm 35 now and can't imagine being (say) 55 and just not drinking at all. In terms of massive sessions, those tend to be a couple of times a year now rather than a couple of times a month, but just generally enjoying a few beers or a decent bottle of wine is something I can't ever see myself stopping.

Yer probably, but on reflection a lot of the time I wasn't really having fun.

I probably should quit the drink. I got my age wrong there!

I've just started another no alcohol phase, not for any ****yy January detox nonsense reasons but because I am training a lot at the moment and it doesn't mix well. I've also found that my hangovers were getting weirder after big sessions which could be just down to getting old, I don't know. It came to a head in December when I went on a 12 hour bender - a fantastic day/night with some visiting friends who I hadn't seen in a couple of years, although I can't remember the last 6 hours. This involved all the drinks you should probably stay away from when you're over 30 - Tequila, V&Rs, syringes full of blue crap, purple frozen vodka in a test tube nonsense etc etc. I felt ok when I woke up but then about 6 hours later I was a jittery mess which I later found out could have been alcolhol withdrawal or caffeine overdose. In any case it shocked me enough to want to think twice about drinking like a knob the next time the situation presents itself - I guess we'll see.

I'm about 5 days in and never really get beyond week 3. It's the boredom that kills me, going out with people who are on the razzle is just so incredibly dull after 2130 when they go into orbit and you start to feel like their dad....

Am I the only one that feels depressed after being drunk the night before. I'm starting my gym work again today after 6 months off. I have to eat better and drink less to get results but in terms of abstaining completely can't see that happening.

I got mashed at Latitude 2011, got no sleep and had to do a bar shift at 10am. Felt soooooo bad. I stopped.

I got married in September and had a glass or two, but I suppose thats allowed.

Stupidly went drinking during and after the Rochdale game. 8 bottles, 6 pints, threw up in the garden, spent the first day of the Xmas holidays flat on the setee moaning like Hell.

Not had one since, mind you!!!

My run finished a 9 days :smile:

Need to consult the calendar to see where I'm going to squeeze the next run in.

13 days now, getting a bit of peer pressure but ignoring it. Lost 4 lbs in first week which was good.

Stopped drinking for about 2 years in my mid twenties. In fact haven't drunk this year yet. It's no big deal for me... I think those that fear a few days off need help maybe? To me it would be like fearing 3 days without say pizza, or orange juice...

Back