• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Louis Walsh signs

I drummed it into my son to use both feet at a very young age - he was a keeper and at that time playing the ball out wasn't a key keepers skill.I
I do like to see players use both feet confidently when crossing or passing. Only a handful at southend able to

Last edited:
I drummed it into my son to use both feet at a very young age - he was a keeper and at that time playing the ball out wasn't a key keepers skill.I
I do like to see players use both feet confidently when crossing or passing. Only a handful at southend able to
Same thing with my dad. He made me practice and practice and it did pay dividends. Although naturally right footed my left peg got me out of situations in a game on a regular basis. As a central defender I was still totally crap at shooting though. All my goals came from my head. Another thing he taught me was not to take your eye off the ball. Its amazing how many close their eyes when heading a ball.

Same thing with my dad. He made me practice and practice and it did pay dividends. Although naturally right footed my left peg got me out of situations in a game on a regular basis. As a central defender I was still totally crap at shooting though. All my goals came from my head. Another thing he taught me was not to take your eye off the ball. Its amazing how many close their eyes when heading a ball.
Yes!! It surprises me too! I see it loads when two players going for a ball but lots too when not under pressure ! I think the best headers of the ball watch it into their heads. (Like your good self)
I think I was watching football funniest moments the other day, and they showed Phil Jones's face when heading and tackling ... Eyes shut mostly but outrageous guerning!!! Wasn't likely to win a pretty boy comp any time but his 'action' faces are so funny.

Can Louis Walsh head the ball?

I am constantly surprised by the number of professional footballers who unable or unwlling to head the ball. Another surprising issue concerns the number of players that rely almost exclusively on one foot whilst playing.

be constantly surprised no more;

I did the same. It's shocking how many professionals can't, considering that is their full time job.

I did the same. It's shocking how many professionals can't, considering that is their full time job.
It's a shame that there are so few pro's that can! Kids have very limited role models in that specific respect. Role models are so important at young impressionable ages, you see kids all over the pitch that do what they've watched on tv or at live games (those were the days!).
unfortunately this is now evident with kids rolling around making out their injured to get a free kick! I hate seeing it but it's what they see!

But what if they spend all the time they could’ve been spending training their weaker foot and strengthened their stronger foot. I’d rather have the best right foot in the business than 2 decent pegs.

Last edited:
But what if they spend all the time they could’ve been spending learning their weaker thought and strengthened their stronger foot. I’d rather have the best right foot in the business than 2 decent pegs.
very Fair alternative view.... And there are loads of pro's that clearly do just that

To be honest I'd choose the two-footed option. The player would benefit from getting out of tight situations more effectively and have the ability to play at a quicker tempo on the half-turn with more realistic choices on either side, rather than having to control the ball and if necessary moving it their more favourable foot. And of course defenders would be more troubled if the winger or striker they are marking had more than one option when crossing or shooting.

I certainly agree with the irritation about a player only using one foot. I've seen several examples recently of strikers failing to score from right-wing crosses because they try to meet the cross with the outside of their right boot rather than wrapping their left foot around, which would provide a better chance of reaching it.

Back