• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow night we have the experienced and normally very decent Mick Russell from St Albans.

If I were writing this 18 months ago, I'd be extolling his virtues, but of late things haven't gone quite so well.

A steady official, this will be his 10th Southend match and his 6th at Roots Hall.

His first home Southend match was also Freddie Eastwood's first match and we know what happened there! His next home game was the early season victory over Stoke a few years back. His most recent home matches were the 3-3 derby match with Colchester when he cautioned 5 of theirs and none of ours and the somewhat lively 3-2 victory over a fairly unpleasant Hartlepool side involving two penalties and the dismissal of their keeper.

His first two away matches were on the south coast; the 1-1 draw at Bournemouth when Sodje was injured and the 3-2 defeat at Brighton a couple of years ago.

Then comes the match when he apparently blotted his copybook in a match I did not see at Swindon last season, where, by all accounts, he had a bit of a nightmare. However he was subsequently back to his best in a game I did see at Norwich later last season when it was certainly not his fault we failed to hold on to one point when for much of the game we looked like taking all three.

He most recent Southend match was at home to Morecambe this season, where some might say he wasn't great and failed to dismiss a Morecambe player for an off the ball incident involving Mohsni.

A referee who usually officiates with a smile on his face, he looks to allow play to continue where possible and has a well below average card count. This season he has 49 yellows and 4 reds from 24 games, nearly half of which have been in the Championship.

Assistants are Gavin Muge from Bedford and Adrian Sannerude from Lowestoft, with Mike Bull making the short journey from Chelmsford for 4th official duties.

That performance at Swindon last season was the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen, and ever likely too see (I hope).

Other than that, I agree he hasn't been too bad; except I've no idea where he got that stoppage-time from at Norwich last season in which they scored, and the board wasn't held up (though I assume there's a reason for that).

That said, I've no idea where the referee got 5 minutes from on Friday!

That said, I've no idea where the referee got 5 minutes from on Friday!
Three substitutions for each side, so three minutes there, 30 seconds for Bury's goal celebration and the remaining time for Corr's injury.

Well, here's hoping for a Norwich performance rather than a Swindon one then.....wasn't that the one he wrote and apologised to Tilly for? For getting three key decisions completely wrong, a well offside goal, a turned down stonewall penalty appeal and sending off JFC?

Back