• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
May as well squeeze out a positive post while I'm thinking about it.

Maher was exceptionally good tonight in pretty much every department. Passing was fluent and incisive from him, dragged Gutts' form up and just as Cov looked like they might kick their dominance on to the game, Kev plowed through a few of them to let them know they wouldn't be allowed.

Spotted Eastwood's excellent run for the goal to cap off a fine performance.

With Gower losing his form a little in my eyes, Kev has now nudged himself, closely followed by Eastwood as our best player this season. Even in our poor games, he still comes out with credit.

absolutely quality, i wonder if this seasons tactic is to let maher push forward and gutts to sit back. it worked today and maher was unlucky not to score

He should have scored tonight. He had the chances and he at least should have got his shot on target when he had a decent chance in stoppage time.

I'd say that he was our best player tonight, but you've got to be able to hit the target in those positions.

Quality pass for the goal, but his short passing is often blind & appalling. He should look before he passes.

Ultra critical, maybe, but you have to do the simple things properly before you try the fancy flicks & the stuff you see on Soccer AM's Showboating slot!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Oct. 14 2006,00:39)]He should have scored tonight. He had the chances and he at least should have got his shot on target when he had a decent chance in stoppage time.

I'd say that he was our best player tonight, but you've got to be able to hit the target in those positions.
It was unfortunate that the ball landed on Maher's left foot and didn't have any time to switch to his right. Had it been on his right foot I'm sure he would have hit the target.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Big Shrimp @ Oct. 14 2006,00:55)]Quality pass for the goal, but his short passing is often blind & appalling. He should look before he passes.

Ultra critical, maybe, but you have to do the simple things properly before you try the fancy flicks & the stuff you see on Soccer AM's Showboating slot!
Are you watching a different player? The Maher I know plays the short pass extremely well and it finds a teammate 9 times out of 10.

Kevin Maher is by far and away our greatest player this year - in front of Eastwood.

Where Freedy's form has dipped of late (apart from last night) Kevin has been performing consistantly well all season, and improving each game. He will be gutted at missing that chance in the last minute, but his undoubted passion for the club and desire to win, and fight for the cause are unquestionable.

hear hear
maher has been awesome
has stepped up a level with ease

don't think we as fans give him enough credit during games

we need some good maher songs

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Oct. 14 2006,01:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Big Shrimp @ Oct. 14 2006,00:55)]Quality pass for the goal, but his short passing is often blind & appalling. He should look before he passes.

Are you watching a different player? The Maher I know plays the short pass extremely well and it finds a teammate 9 times out of 10.
How many times last night did he try that annoying little flick with the outside of the boot? Too many. How many times did he find his intended man? Not often. How many blind passes does he try & not find his man? Too many.

Ultra critical, maybe, but although he links up play well & makes things tick, he's not as good as people say he is.

His pass to Eastwood was class, but he was at fault for the penalty, because he didn't go in fully for the tackle outside the box. Why? Because he'd been booked for being a petulant idiot. Three times the ref warned him about his kicking out at players. On one occasion, he did more than Gutts did to get booked. Captain's protection?

Until he stops the stupid things, he will never play for Eire. Look how many players they were missing & look how many other players are chosen ahead of him! The people making these decisions, have played a bit more than you or I have, & know more about the game too.

Nuff said. I just hope Maher can prove me wrong!

Colin Cameron's got 27 caps for Scotland. Can you honestly tell me that Maher didn't completely outshine him last night?

I didn't say that. Just remember that if Wayne Gray had been a Sweatie, he'd have 50 caps by now!!

No you didn't but given that Ireland and Scotland have both qualified for two major tournaments in the last twelve years, it's not too unreasonable to put them on a par in terms of quality.

Seems that international call ups are about so much more than form. If Maher had played in Ireland til the beginning of this season and then moved to us, I would bet on him having won a cap by now.

Yeah Maher was our MoTM last night. Every good move came through him and he won the ball off opponents too. His ball for the 2nd goal was perfect and he could've scored one himself right at the death. I thought Francis was good too and was our only threat on the right wing with Hunt constantly moving into the middle.

kevin maher 1 one ofthe only players playing to the best of hisability francis was poor he couldnt cope with that winger who was quality although he didnt get much help should have doubled up on him and choped him down before he got near the box:p
tounge.gif

I have to agree that Maher has been our best player this season. He should certainly be in the Ireland squad. Staunton hasn't got much of a clue about anything, that's pretty clear.

The real difference this year is the time our midfielders have on the ball. Maher can deal with it, Gutts just can't.

This is why we WILL stay up. We have got quality players through the middle of the team. Flavs, Hammell, Sodje, Maher, Eastwood. Not to mention an ambitious chairman and of course Tilly and Brush. We do need to improve in each playing area though. Good regular partner for Eastwood (Sheringham?!? how about Trundle?), Partner for Maher and someone to partner Sodje. Not sure if Clarke is going to fulfil that role and although Spinner was good on Friday, we need some youth at the back with both Sodje and Spinner knocking on a bit now.
Come on You blues! We can stay up; and reach a respectable mid table position.

Forgot to mention, despite our currently lowly position, I can't help feeling tremendously proud every time we play. Enjoy the moment
biggrin.gif

Back