• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Gower

shrimpereeee

First XI
I am a huge fan of Mark Gower and do believe that he has been our best signing for many a year. He is the most creative player in the team and even chips in with the odd goal or two. IMHO he along with Maher are certainly capable of playing at a higher level.

I think Gower's contract expires in the summer of 2006. Let's assume he moves on this summer. What do you think would be a good fee?

I think we bought him from Barnet for £25,000. I wouldn't sell him for less than £100,000.

If you were manager of, say, Cheltenham, what would you be willing to pay?
rock.gif

I sold him yesterday to Wolves in Championship Manager for £3.1m. I'd probably settle for slightly less than that in real life though....

I wouldn't sell him. He's one of our best players from about three, so what would be the point in exchanging from for a low transfer fee, which is what we'd get at best.

Where would you find a better player than Gower for less than £250,000 ??

I reckon no more than £100K. Only Freddy would command a higher transfer fee in my opinion.

You have to think in the context of things...

lets take barry the dog's example, if he were sold for 300,000 then what could we do with the money?

would it have any real meaning in terms of funding for a new ground? I don't think so.

We need to keep our top players, get out of this division this year and consolidate in league 1, before receiving money, that weakens your team becomes the name of the game just because you want to buy a bigger ground.

I say this because I also don't believe that 300,000 will bring someone of Gower's quality to the Hall, anyone worth this value would be playing at a higher level I am sure.

S4E

I don't think you can put a value on Mark Gower. If a league 1 club came in for him tomorrow, it would have to be one of the big teams doing well in that league for Mark to even consider it. He is playing great football at Southend and if he has as much ambition to further his career, it would not be at MKDons or Torquay. He also has enough quality to be a championship player and would make Southend a six figure sum without any doubt.

His value will increase if we get promotion to league 1, but what that value would be is impossible to predict... seven figures? hmmm, maybe!!!

wink.gif

I truly don't believe anyone will want to leave this club if we don't win promotion this season anyway. Unlike other sides whose squad breaks up I really don't see that happening with us as we are clearly a club on the up. The possibility of a nice new stadium in the (hopefully) near future and higher division football should ensure the only players to go are those Tilly decides to release. In Gower's case he has already stated he is happy here and don't forget signed his years extension last year without hesitation.

Transfer fees don't really work like they used to anyway, making it very hard to work out how much a player is really worth. Gower has a huge value to us. Personally I think if there is a better player in this division then I haven't seen him. Certainly his value to us is such that it would take a large transfer fee (probably six figures) before it is worth our while letting him go. But the type of club who might be interested in him (ie League One or League Two) would be unlikely to part with that amount of money for him in this day and ages, especially now all these injuries keep cropping up with his back.

Basically what I'm saying is that someone like him hasn't really got a transfer value like he might have done ten years ago. Previously you could have an asset like a Mark Gower who you could cash in on if needed for a certain amount of money. But it doesn't really work that way anymore.

Back