• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley

I've got no idea if he's a good coach or a bad one , but for whatever reason you care to believe , he worked with probably the weakest squad of players I can think of in recent years.
As I say , no idea on his skill set , but he had very little to work with.
With extremely limited resources,he created a strong defence and with any sort of central striker present,we’d have been comfortably mid-table.He did his utmost eg Akinde was coming to us up till 11-45 on deadline day,he got in Akinola,then found he wasn’t allowed to play him.
There was absolutely no-one : a hopelessly unready Emile Acquah played in 31 games,a hopelessly past-it Greg Halford 16 games.
Ron Martin panicked—praying for new manager bounce,he brought back Brown,which settled our fate for the next season as well.

Aldershot have won 2 games since he took his process out of their club .....

how or why we kept him beyond 6 weeks is completely beyond me - but of course some people might say relegation from the EFL did allow the chairman to implement severe cost cutting ...

No, when he left us we were in a relegation fight but far from sunk. But if apportioning blame we should start with the chairman rather than the five(?) managers during our double relegation.
Many to blame, many mitigating circumstances,

But he did.

I watched every game under him and it was disgraceful, do people really have such short memories?

No, when he left us we were in a relegation fight but far from sunk. But if apportioning blame we should start with the chairman rather than the five(?) managers during our double relegation.

‘far from sunk’???!!!???

I had a lot of time for him, until Oldham away. Totally dominated the game on the attack and takes off a striker for a defensive midfielder. Was happy to walk away with a draw. It was then I knew he lost the plot.

Not officially. PB was given the job to keep us up and he didn’t. Tough job of course but his lack of preparation for the Col Ewe game ultimately cost us.
Why do people keep on saying the ColU match is the one that relegated us - numerous points just ebbed away earlier in the season, game after game, while MM persisted with his idealistic project and refusing to play to the strengths of the players available. PB was a strange appointment but change was made too late. When was a team's relegation decided on one game ?

Last edited:
Why do people keep on saying the ColU match is the one that relegated us - numerous points just ebbed away earlier in the season, game after game, while MM persisted with his idealistic project and refusing to play to the strengths of the players available. PB was a strange appointment but change was made too late. When was a team's relegation decided on one game ?
Against all the odds,MM had instigated a slow but steady improvement and there was at least a slim hope that he could still save us by overhauling a clueless Col U.
Brown’s new manager bounce was very low and short-lived and the abject surrender at the sheep pen did indeed seal our fate.

I agree. I've never fallen asleep watching Southend play on the box but, that season I did a few times. It was dreadful football, nearly every game without a shot on target.

I'm actually thinking about starting up a streaming service for people who suffer from Insomnia and stream games from MM time in charge. I'd make a killing :)

The season wasn't lost in the last 8 games, it was over after the first 15.

So strange how people defend one of the worst managers in our recent history. Is he related to some of our fans or something?

He was so good, he managed to only get his next job with Aldershot who he so kindly did the exact same as he did with us and put them near the bottom of the table.

The only good thing to come out of molesley was Hobson and even then he only became good once he had a proper coach around him.

Waste of space and if he wasn’t considered so “cool” by our fan base, we might have got him out earlier and had a chance of staying up.

Any proper football manager would’ve kept us up that year.

So strange how people defend one of the worst managers in our recent history. Is he related to some of our fans or something?

He was so good, he managed to only get his next job with Aldershot who he so kindly did the exact same as he did with us and put them near the bottom of the table.

The only good thing to come out of molesley was Hobson and even then he only became good once he had a proper coach around him.

Waste of space and if he wasn’t considered so “cool” by our fan base, we might have got him out earlier and had a chance of staying up.

Any proper football manager would’ve kept us up that year.
It's not about defending him

It's about being realistic and recognising that his job was made much harder due to Ron Martin

Back