• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dannypav

President
With Egan and Sokolik looking really solid , Prosser chomping at the bit to get back in and I guess Thompson not too far away , do we think that Mark Phillips may have played his last game for us ?
Now of course nobody knows what injuries etc may be around the corner , but with 7 ( and 3 more hopefully ) games to go , time is surely running out for him now.
Been a really good player for us and won POTY not so long ago , but this has been a season too far IMO and can't see him getting back in now.
Just wondered what others thought ?

Agree totally, he's had a couple of exceptional games this season but he's also had some real mares. Thanks for everything to Mark, but I think it'll be the end of his contract this season.

I thought he was steady with prosser I think it depends on what happens this season

I'm pretty sure he'll be off at the end of his contract, by going out and getting not one but two young centre backs on loan to cover for Prosser and Thompson, Brown has clearly shown that Phillips is not really up to it.

He's been a good servant for the club and will leave with my best wishes, but I'd be happy to see him replaced with someone younger, quicker and a bit better with the ball (would love to think we could sign Egan or Sokolik but reckon they'll probably go somewhere higher)

Sadly past it. If we can't get anyone else in iver the summer then we could certainly do worse than keeping him, but it seems unlikely. He must be considered 5th choice when Thompson is fit, and if Bennett was fit (haha), I'm guessing he may even end up 6th choice, even if we wouldn't have brought in Egan and Sokolik with them fit, he would still be last chance. Probably best for both parties to let him go and try and bring in someone younger, although I doubt we'll get Egan, maybe Sokolik is more likely but there must be others about.

Mark Phillips has done well for our club IMO...One of Sturrocks better signings too. I tend to agree with Shrimpergary here. A year or so back he was always first choice for me and I rated him streets ahead of Prosser as a footballer and weighed in with a very respectable goal tally too. How times change and I think injuries and fitness have found him out much in the same way as they did with Chris Barker....So for me thank you Mark and good luck getting another club.

He's been a great free transfer signing and if he has played his last game for us I wish him well. I'm not as convinced as some on here that he's past it at this level - I think you may be confusing that with a lapse in form. We've got less than 10 games to go, and whilst Sokolik and Egan are clearly first choice, having Phillips and Prosser in wouldn't concern me a bit.

I'm with Pubey on this; too many times in seasons past we have had 2 set, regular centre backs and no real alternative on the bench and, if we do have a Baldwin or Richards, they soon become unsettled by not starting and take a move.
Keeping MP makes sense if his wages are set at a reasonable rate plus playing bonus.
A good cup run (or two) and we might need a true squad.
He has been loyal, and brave, popular team player BUT my understanding is that PB doesn't like him much as he has a better tan.

Certainly sounded our weak link when we were struggling for form in February but there again should he be blamed as he was the only central defender at Northampton, where his lack of pace was exposed. Having said that, he's been a good servant to the club and like Barker, it's always hard to have to say goodbye but that's what I think it will be at the end of the season.

MP is a master at getting really close and onto an attacker, he nudges, pokes, proves and gives them a rough time; he reads the game well and gets in front of them many many times.
This season Rodney (Luke) has added some of these skills to his game; so is this in part due to MP?

MP is a master at getting really close and onto an attacker, he nudges, pokes, proves and gives them a rough time; he reads the game well and gets in front of them many many times.
This season Rodney (Luke) has added some of these skills to his game; so is this in part due to MP?

For sure. Prosser has always played much better when 1) not farmed out at left back and 2) with an experienced head along side him. It's only this season that Prosser has started to look like he could BE that experienced head.

Was a quality player in his second season with us and been really unfortunate with injuries. Know that he's doing his coaching badges atm so reckon he might call it a day. Hopefully see him back at the club one day as a coach if he does leave. Always read the game well considering his lack of pace.

Good player but I think his best days are behind him. Kiernan , Solo and Egan have shown you can get good footballing defenders in. Personally would let Phillips go and also i appreciate it is controversial but I wouldn't be sad to see Prosser go either. Much improved but a very basic footballer. Three clean sheets should show us the way forward. so nice to see defenders that are happy on the ball.

Good player but I think his best days are behind him. Kiernan , Solo and Egan have shown you can get good footballing defenders in. Personally would let Phillips go and also i appreciate it is controversial but I wouldn't be sad to see Prosser go either. Much improved but a very basic footballer. Three clean sheets should show us the way forward. so nice to see defenders that are happy on the ball.

could not disagree more re prosser. I see him as a future captain. The hoof tag simply isn't accurate anymore. He has been badly missed this year, more than any other player who has been injured. The clean sheet yesterday was very very lucky. I rate him for higher than Thompson

Back