• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Watermill Wino

Coach Guru⭐
Found this from a neutral O's fan , NOT
A travesty of a result for what it matters.

Orient were much the better side and with better luck in front of goal would have had this game sewn up long before Eastwood's 20 yard daisy cutter into the bottom left hand corner drew the sides level on 80.

Steele got through on 50 mins, beat the keeper but saw his effort slip wide of the post. Shane Tudor's exploitation of the right flank almost saw his audacious chip across the goal find the top left hand corner before it was acrobatically hooked of the line.

Sarfend created few chances against a well organised O's defence, but what chances they did muster were expertley snuffed out by the lightning fast composure of Glyn Garner who had replaced Morris at the break.

Demetriou, Connor and Alexander were all unlucky to have their shots blocked as the half wore on before Keith's vicious volley almost broke the man on the line in half as Orient pushed to retake the lead with some absolutely scintillating one-touch football.

But a free kick for the hosts was taken before the otherwise impressive Brian Saah had switched on and the Southend sub had all the space-time in the world to nutmeg Garner from 8 yards out and win the match in stoppage time.

Surprising result, but if we play like that this season then the journey to promotion may have begun all over again.

Looking around other bits and pieces seems that Lockwood and Freddy hit the woodwork as well.

Gary Hooper formerly of Grays and another possible find scored the second. Bags of potential and was caughted by Barnet and Reading before coming ourway. He's also only 18 but scored 8 goals last season for Grays and can play midfield or up front.

And another one.

Southend grabbed an undeserved injury time winner through trialist Gary Hooper but the O's only have themselves to blame, after missing a host of chances.

Orient started brightly and took the lead when a surging run by Jabo Ibehre created an opportunity for Gary Alexander. The O's forward finished superbly, with a left footed drive into the top corner.

Further half chances were created by the visitors, the best of which was a Matt Lockwood free kick, which cannoned back off the cross-bar from fully 30 yards.

Southend themselves were looking dangerous and had a goal chalked off for offside. Just before the interval, they were desperately unlucky with a Freddie Eastwood shot that hit the post.

The second half saw a multitude of changes, mainly from Orient, which led to some dominance from the hosts.

However, against the run of play, a chance was created for Lee Steele who screwed wide when well placed. Shane Tudor was also unlucky, with a chipped effort that was cleared off the line.

With 20 minutes remaining Southend levelled when Freddie Eastwood ran unchallenged and drilled a low shot into the corner.

Orient responded really well and moments later Joe Keith had a shot cleared off the line.

But just seconds before the final whistle, Gary Hooper managed to scuff an effort underneath Glyn Garner to deny the O's a deserved draw.

To be fair they were the better team up to the last 10/15 minutes and had a few great chances to make it 2-0. Wasn't a very good game overall, got better towards the end. JCR looked lively, he was my MoTM. Collis made a few decent saves but I wasn't very impressed with Francis. Missed the first 15 minutes though! Didn't know about Hooper until he came on, he didn't play for very long so I can't really comment on him but it was a neat, composed finish for the goal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ July 22 2006,16:46)]Hooper...

... didn't play for very long...

... a neat, composed finish for the goal.
Maybe that says a lot about the lad?

Orient missed some chances but so did Southend AND we had a very crafty and cunning goal disallowed. Freddy tore them to bits and when it came to creativity and class on the ball, there was only one team in it and that was Southend. We are the kings.

I know it was only a friendly and a last minute winner but I am f%&king glad we finally beat Orient.

I'll give it to them that they had the better of the first half, but second half I thought we battered them. Granted they still had a couple of good chances but overall in general play we were the much better side in that half.

I thought that we looked the more talented team, but Orient created the better chances. Even then though, we scored two, hit the post, had one disallowed and Eastwood missed at least two sitters.

Can I just point out that the first report is from a guy called 'thepope' who is a renowned happy-clappy spacker and therefore his reports are in no way indicative of what actually happened at the game
biggrin.gif

Sounded like a preety good game, both teams made chances. Sounds like Hooper could be another grays find for us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ July 22 2006,17:11)]Can I just point out that the first report is from a guy called 'thepope' who is a renowned happy-clappy spacker and therefore his reports are in no way indicative of what actually happened at the game
biggrin.gif
Thats not very nice
suspect.gif

I'm not very nice, Doug. And if he doesn't score some goals for the 'Ear tomorrow, I'm going to be even less nice about him.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ July 22 2006,17:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ July 22 2006,17:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ July 22 2006,18:11)]... a renowned happy-clappy spacker ...
A what?!
Urban Dictionary - Ignore if easily offended.
Good definition of "spacker" (I'd go for version 2). In this instance, "Happy Clappy" refers to his inability to be anything but blindly positive about everything Orient.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GoochDogHighFives @ July 22 2006,18:20)]Playing for the Ear is he?
He is indeed. Him + me up front = 0 goals, methinks. Vets will take it at a canter.

I'm sorry im posting, but hooper looked to have amazing potential. He was extremely skillful in the warm-up, which you might think well its a warm-up, but he was doing skills that ive never seen at roots hall and would do any premiership defender. It reminded me of Ronaldinho, wonder if he can do that in a match. He looks to have bags of potential, i wonder if mitchell cole and/or eastwood was at grays when he was coming up through the ranks
upside.gif

He looked quite decent hooper, i see the potential that i've been hearing about.
tounge.gif

My view in a nutshell is as follows:-

Southend completely dominated from first whistle without carving out a clear chance. French guy up front very weak. Francis uncharacteristically sliced the ball at right back stright to Ibehre who ran in and pulled ball back to Alexander who finished neatly from 10 yards, totally against run of play. Suddenly Southend were all over the place and Freddy dropped deeper and deeper to get the ball. Apart from one smack from 30 yards which hit the post that was about it from the blues in the forst half. Gower totally out of sorts, Maher hardly passed to a southend player, Prior panicking on the ball.

Second half and started fairly similar to where first finished off, although introduction of JCR caused pace on right. Orient never got to grips with him and he turned Lockwood inside out, but not always released the ball at the right time. After 15 minutes, on came Mssassi, Cole, Hammell and the direction of the game changed. Southend dominated possession but looked woeful in defence until Hammel came on. Orient missed at least three good chances, the best of which saw Hunt acrobatically sto the ball on the line.

However, Southend kept carving out chances and Lawson, yest thats JAMES LAWSON, suddenly looked a class apart up front. His hold up play and close control helped feed Freddy who unleashed from 20 yards into the bottom corner.

Ten minutes to go and we did our best to gift the win to Orient. However, this time (because it didnt matter) we didnt give them an own goal! Instead in stoppage time a quick free kick taken by Hammell found the clever run of Hooper, who had replaced Eastwood after the goal and the former Grays trialist slotted under the keeper for the winner.

A footnote: We were treated to half time entertainment of Harchester United continually taking the same corner, which they did awfully and we were all told to act as though they had scored even though they wouldnt have done had they still been there now.

After the game, there was a bizarre game between Harchester and Southend at walking pace. We were all ushered into the East Greens and Reds and came up with some legendary songs which will no doubt be over dubbed by the TV company. When Southend went one up, the spontaneous Easy Easy chants were brilliant. At the end having "purposely" lost 4-1, the Tilson out chants were brilliant. Tilly laughed his head off!

Thats all from me folks

Back