• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is adding value now a prerequisite for posting on SZ?I tnink Rusty should be informed.:hilarious:

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

My god. I cannot believe this topic has managed to get to 5 pages.

An ex-player visits his old club. He get's stick from the fans (Whether you like it or not) He then scores and celebrates like any player in that situation would.

This happens at every single ground in world football. Why is this even worthy of a debate.

Let's move on eh?

Far more important things to be talking about.

Precisely - Bart or Daryl?

My god. I cannot believe this topic has managed to get to 5 pages.

An ex-player visits his old club. He get's stick from the fans (Whether you like it or not) He then scores and celebrates like any player in that situation would.

This happens at every single ground in world football. Why is this even worthy of a debate.

Let's move on eh?

Far more important things to be talking about.

Smiffy whether you like it or not part of the debate is about why Harrold does well against us. Some say it was the moronic chants when he came on. Some disagree. It's a valid point to debate as is the value at times of The Blue Voice.

Smiffy whether you like it or not part of the debate is about why Harrold does well against us. Some say it was the moronic chants when he came on. Some disagree. It's a valid point to debate as is the value at times of The Blue Voice.

TBV is almost non-existant, in my opinion. "W Block" is just an area where singers young (Mostly) and old congregate. They are not affiliated to TBV as there is no "official" group to affiliate to.

We tried and failed to make a better atmosphere at RH. It's a shame and a couple of relegations and the off the field shenanigans didn't help. But we have to face facts. I'm sure those in W Block will continue to generate a decent noise, as best they can though.

Myself and a group of others, will now concentrate on bigger and better plans for the new stadium. If and when it arrives!................................................

Last edited:
TBV is almost non-existant, in my opinion. "W Block" is just an area where singers young (Mostly) and old congregate. They are not affiliated to TBV as there is no "official" group to affiliate to.

We tried and failed to make a better atmosphere at RH. It's a shame and a couple of relegations and the off the field shenanigans didn't help. But we have to face facts. I'm sure those in W Block will continue to generate a decent noise, as best they can though.

Myself and a group of others, will now concentrate on bigger and better plans for the new stadium. If and when it arrives!................................................

Time to shine will be when the ground is built

Think your being hard on yourselves.

You have got together a load of like minded people and the atmosphere has improved a lot. Sadly due to off the field problems, general apathy etc you are never going to be able to do get things going that much you would like in the current ground.

Personally I think you should be proud of what you have done for the club.

You have got together a load of like minded people and the atmosphere has improved a lot. Sadly due to off the field problems, general apathy etc you are never going to be able to do get things going that much you would like in the current ground.

Agreed. The atmosphere v Oxford was great Smiffy.

Well said Dave.

Whilst others just moaned, Smiffy tried to do something about it and I think he has made a difference.

Aree with others above, TBV does make a difference and long may it continue, especially now it's down the front the noise carries better.

But back to the topic in hand. Harrold.

Thankfully I didn't hear any of the "die harrold die" from the East, that's pretty distasteful.

I didn't Boo Harrold yesterday (nor did I when he was here), but did chuckle at the theatrics of it all. He's become a pantomime villain at RH and even he takes it in the right way "I always get a bit of stick here so it's nice to score. It's all a bit of fun and I know myself I didn't play well when I was here" (from Chris Phillips twitter feed).

He's become a decent lower league goal scoring target man, he's definately beefed up somewhat since his days in southend blue, I certainly wouldn't have minded had he returned this summer.

I think Harrold is a decent L2 player and would happily have him at Southend now.
Unfortunately he was totally out if his depth in the Championship and his reputation with Southend fans was sealed in that season. In hindsight we might ask why on earth did Tilly buy him in the summer of 2006.

I think Harrold is a decent L2 player and would happily have him at Southend now.
Unfortunately he was totally out if his depth in the Championship and his reputation with Southend fans was sealed in that season. In hindsight we might ask why on earth did Tilly buy him in the summer of 2006.

Sorry, you're way off there.

He did the same thing - coming off the bench to change a game - in the Championship on a number of occasions. He grabbed an equaliser at West Brom, he turned the Norwich home game on it's head, IIRC his aerial presence changed the games against Leicester, Coventry and Burnley.

He's been our most effective impact sub that I can remember. The problem is that our fans are idiots who had decided he was crap before he'd even pulled on a Southend shirt and knocked the confidence out of him.

Sorry, you're way off there.

He did the same thing - coming off the bench to change a game - in the Championship on a number of occasions. He grabbed an equaliser at West Brom, he turned the Norwich home game on it's head, IIRC his aerial presence changed the games against Leicester, Coventry and Burnley.

He's been our most effective impact sub that I can remember. The problem is that our fans are idiots who had decided he was crap before he'd even pulled on a Southend shirt and knocked the confidence out of him.

I can only speak from the games I saw him play (and admittedly that was far from all of them) but my memory of him even from L1 days was that he looked a little out of his depth even at that level.

Agree fully with Yorkie, in fact I thought Harrold did better for us in the Championship than he did in League 1.

Harrold's problem was a lack of goals, which got fans on his back, which destroyed his confidence in front of goal. It became a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy with him in that he reacted to the stick he got for not scoring by dropping deeper and deeper to link up play which caused him to score even fewer goals which led to him getting more stick.

YB is right that when he first joined he was actually a decent impact player from the bench, but by the time he left he wasn't the same player any more.

Never took to him because I thought he had more bad games than even average or good ones and probably was out of his depth in the C/ship. Good player at lower level though. Still believe we should goad him and take the p*** as it's part of the banter when ex less than successful players return.

What I struggle to get my head around is the sheer hypocrisy of everyone finding it ok (just banter apparantly) to call Harrold a ginger b....... yet they would be the first to be up in arms (and I would be too), if someone called a player a black b......

What is the difference between skin colour and hair colour? Grateful to hear from anyone who thinks you can justify the personal abuse of one but not the other.

I don't recall ginger people being the subject of slavery and mass discrimination, to be fair.

I don't recall ginger people being the subject of slavery and mass discrimination, to be fair.

Not relevant. It is a personal attack on somebody's physical make-up, in the same way that shouting "you fat b..." at somebody who may be overweight through a medical condition. And since when in Britain in 2011 do we have slavery and mass discrimination?
All I am saying is there is no consistency. Classic non-football example is Ricky Gervais and his offensive comments about Down Syndrome people which he pathetically tried to play down.

What I struggle to get my head around is the sheer hypocrisy of everyone finding it ok (just banter apparantly) to call Harrold a ginger b....... yet they would be the first to be up in arms (and I would be too), if someone called a player a black b......

What is the difference between skin colour and hair colour? Grateful to hear from anyone who thinks you can justify the personal abuse of one but not the other.

Gingers aren't a race.

Changing subject - thought there was an interesting bit of banter with Harrold from the South Upper yesterday:

Fasto (for I think it was he): Eff off Harrold, you're sh*t.

Harrold: Well, if I'm so sh*t, why did you try to sign me in the summer, then?!

Well, I thought it was interesting at any rate. Anyone reckon we went for him before we got Dicko? Can't say I'm terribly unhappy at how that has panned out - but there's no doubting that Harrold is a better player than he was when he was at the Hall. Very well taken goal yesterday, I thought (as was Harris's, to be fair) and the perfect riposte to the barracking he'd copped.

Matt

We even looked at signing him last week!

Back