• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't think Pato is being "slagged off", but he is the highest wage earner here, and we have to use the money more resourcefully. If you had the choice between Pato and Ricketts, who would you pick?

It seems that Sturrock doesn't see him fitting into his system, and he needs to accept this. If what is said on this thread is true, then Pato has rejected a pay off and is not interested in dropping a division and/or wages in order to get first team football.

For Paterson's sake and the club's sake, he should leave and look at getting first team football.

Sorry Chapperz but where did you get this from? The club haven't got a pot to **** in and cannot pay him off otherwise he would have left long before now.

I totally agree that he should leave, staying here does him absolutely no good whatsoever. So the club need to honour his contract.

Sorry Chapperz but where did you get this from? The club haven't got a pot to **** in and cannot pay him off otherwise he would have left long before now.

I totally agree that he should leave, staying here does him absolutely no good whatsoever. So the club need to honour his contract.

An earlier post in this thread. I'm guessing that it would be a lot less than what he would get if he stayed here until his contract expired.

I do not understand why he does not take the offer that the club have put on the table of buying his contract out,that way he gets a reasonable lump sum and is then a free agent....all very odd.

This thread is why I no longer commit to this messageboard.

The defamation of a young player who came to us unwillingly and then stayed with us through a horrendous period of the clubs history and still pledged himself loyally to stay and fight for his position is nothing short of disgusting.

The club could end Pato's Southend nightmare by simply paying off the contract that they are legally bound to pay. But they won't because they haven't got a pot to **** in.

How many of you out there in cloud cuckoo land would give up their job and wages for a year? None of you, so why should Pato? The lad I believe is desperate to get away because he just wants to play football, but because he is contracted to the club THE CLUB want money for him, or at least the majority of his wages paid up if it's a loan - so it's not down to Pato not wanting away, because believe me he does, it's down to the club WANTING money - no other reason.

His treatment imho has been disgraceful and all the posters on here who continually spout utter ***** about the kid need to hang their heads in shame imho you're a disgrace.

Wind it in. No one is slagging him off. There's frustration that for a year now we've been carrying the wages of a player whose face rightly or wrongly doesn't fit. I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Matt isn't entitled to the money that the Club have agreed to pay him.

Message boards are about an exchange of opinion. If you can't handle that then it's no surprise that you no longer commit to this one.

Paterson is better than Crawford and Asante. Dont know why we dont bomb these 2 rookie youngsters out who couldnt hit a cows backside with a banjo and get Pato in. Makes sense

99% are not actually slagging him off though.

Most recognise it is not his fault he is in this position. But feel it would be better for him and the club if he moved on.

A view which I think the majority would agree with?..

Its certainly better for the club for him to move on, but not necessarily better for him.

If he just accepted a pay off and walked out he could then be without a club and get no offers. At least here he is still able to get loan deals etc and may be more visible than he would be if just another unemployed player.

Now if he is actually getting decent offers from non-league clubs then thats different, but maybe he feels he can do a job in league two and wants to hold out for an offer from someone like Oxford.

Its certainly better for the club for him to move on, but not necessarily better for him.

If he just accepted a pay off and walked out he could then be without a club and get no offers. At least here he is still able to get loan deals etc and may be more visible than he would be if just another unemployed player.

Now if he is actually getting decent offers from non-league clubs then thats different, but maybe he feels he can do a job in league two and wants to hold out for an offer from someone like Oxford.

It's a pretty short-sighted view though. Is he more or less likely to be playing league football in 2012/13 if he has spent all of 2011/12 sitting on our bench or playing every week somewhere else.

Personally I agree with you and think I'd probably be inclined to stay here, but I can see why others might not agree.

Paterson is better than Crawford and Asante. Dont know why we dont bomb these 2 rookie youngsters out who couldnt hit a cows backside with a banjo and get Pato in. Makes sense

Hiya Matt... :hilarious:

Think Asante has something about him - namely pace, but he has shown promise.

Pato hasnt got 1 redeeming 'skill'. He isnt quick, isnt strong, hasnt got a great touch, isnt tall, hasnt got a great shot, cannot head, isnt brave, doesnt hold the ball up etc etc etc....

Waste of money paying him to sit and sulk. If he was that desperate to play football, then he would go out and take less wages elsewhere.

When I really wanted to be a web designer more than anything, I left a £20k job and worked for a one man band pretty much hand to mouth what he could afford to pay me, which worked out around £11k a year - because its all I wanted to do.

Surely the cheapest thing to do, if he really has no future at SUFC, is to reach an agreement now for a cash settlement and tear up the contract. That way Pato can go and negotiate a deal as a free agent and have the cash in his pocket.

I agree with Paul, he is a very limited player and personally think Tilly got sold a pup.

99% are not actually slagging him off though.

Most recognise it is not his fault he is in this position. But feel it would be better for him and the club if he moved on.

A view which I think the majority would agree with?..

Not really Lee, most want him to move on despite himself for the clubs benefit alone. As much as I love Southend, I still realise he has to look after his own interests first, especially in a time-constrained profession. Why should he rush into a decision that will be detrimental to him financially. People forget that footballers have bills and responsibilities too, especially as Silencer states, at this level, the money is hardly life changing. I suspect there's some people here on the board earning better money than he does - I bet they wouldn't sacrifice their incomes so their respectives companies can get a couple of cheaper workers in. You live within your means, therefore he probably has bills that are relative to his income. His next move needs to consider this. It's completely unrealistic to expect Pato to take a massive pay cut and move clubs just because the Southend fans want another signing in.

I actually like Pato, and feel with a run in the team would do ok, certainly better than Sturrock & Crawford. On the other side, I also understand that given his wages, the club would probably be better to move him on. But this idea that he should just go out and take any old offer just to benefit the club and satisfy the fans desire for new players is unrealistic.

The fact people are saying he has no confidence in his ability cos he said he's doubtful will go ahead, or that he obviously can't be arsed or isn't bothering in training based on the fact Oxford aren't signing him and he won't give up his wages is laughable. That tweet couldn't possibly be an honest and realistic assesment, based on the amount of gametime he's had and conversations with the management.

Why there is so much anonmosity towards a player still early in his career, and that stuck by the club during the toughest of times and has shown promise baffles me.

Paterson is better than Asante and Crawford. Watching those two upfront together against Raith made me want to cry.

If you look at Pato's goalscoring record, it's actually not that bad. He's still young and I disagree that he has shown nothing. He has a decent level of skill, but I do agree that whenever he's been given a good chance he hasn't taken it. He played a blinder against Barnet in the JPT last year, earned himself a start, and played like someone who had never even put on a pair of boots before.

I genuinely believe he'll be a good player in four or five years time once he's bulked up and got a bit of nous about him. But we can't afford to wait for him to develop. Trouble is, no-one is biting and it's using up a wage we could use to bring in at least one quality striker. So what do we do? Leave him to rot, or accept he is for the time being our second best fit striker and use him, possibly putting him in the shop window?

Not really Lee, most want him to move on despite himself for the clubs benefit alone. As much as I love Southend, I still realise he has to look after his own interests first, especially in a time-constrained profession. Why should he rush into a decision that will be detrimental to him financially. People forget that footballers have bills and responsibilities too, especially as Silencer states, at this level, the money is hardly life changing. I suspect there's some people here on the board earning better money than he does - I bet they wouldn't sacrifice their incomes so their respectives companies can get a couple of cheaper workers in. You live within your means, therefore he probably has bills that are relative to his income. His next move needs to consider this. It's completely unrealistic to expect Pato to take a massive pay cut and move clubs just because the Southend fans want another signing in.

I actually like Pato, and feel with a run in the team would do ok, certainly better than Sturrock & Crawford. On the other side, I also understand that given his wages, the club would probably be better to move him on. But this idea that he should just go out and take any old offer just to benefit the club and satisfy the fans desire for new players is unrealistic.

The fact people are saying he has no confidence in his ability cos he said he's doubtful will go ahead, or that he obviously can't be arsed or isn't bothering in training based on the fact Oxford aren't signing him and he won't give up his wages is laughable. That tweet couldn't possibly be an honest and realistic assesment, based on the amount of gametime he's had and conversations with the management.

Why there is so much anonmosity towards a player still early in his career, and that stuck by the club during the toughest of times and has shown promise baffles me.

I think that is a great post... until the final paragraph. Where is this animosity? For a striker who has scored two league goals in 18 months (one of which was the biggest fluke of a goal I've seen in more than 20 years watching Southend), he gets a tremendous amount of support.

On Matt Paterson facebook page. He said he was gutted to lose the 9 shirt. From his FB page:

'Gutted to lose the 9 shirt, will battle hard and give my all for Southend until otherwise told differently.'

personally I'd hope PS would wipe the slate clean and give Pato a fresh start because while I think he's pretty crap, he'd be useful on the bench and I do think that in the future he could be a good player (a bit like Harrold was for us really). However I guess the issue is that being on a completely incomparable wage to everyone else it probably wouldn't sit too well with the rest of the team.

My last memory of paterson is him ducking out the way of a ball played across the 6 yard box with the keeper stranded. For a front man, he shows no bottle in actually wanting to put his body on the line to score a goal. Is that was mohsni or Harris or Corr, they would have scored, taken the defenders in the net with them and probably been down for treatment for a couple of minutes, but would have scored and that's the difference. People slag Blair off for his lack of goal scoring, but he would have put his body on the line and scored too.

Paterson is better than Asante and Crawford. Watching those two upfront together against Raith made me want to cry.

If you look at Pato's goalscoring record, it's actually not that bad. He's still young and I disagree that he has shown nothing. He has a decent level of skill, but I do agree that whenever he's been given a good chance he hasn't taken it. He played a blinder against Barnet in the JPT last year, earned himself a start, and played like someone who had never even put on a pair of boots before.

I genuinely believe he'll be a good player in four or five years time once he's bulked up and got a bit of nous about him. But we can't afford to wait for him to develop. Trouble is, no-one is biting and it's using up a wage we could use to bring in at least one quality striker. So what do we do? Leave him to rot, or accept he is for the time being our second best fit striker and use him, possibly putting him in the shop window?

Agreed. What a suprise we didnt score.

Strikers are there to score or at least be a goal threat, Crawford & Asante are neither. Asante has pace, so what? so has Usain Bolt, shall we sign him up? Crawford, with his ginger beard, would be suited to Essex Senior league level or the dog and duck Dagenham pub league

Agreed. What a suprise we didnt score.Strikers are there to score or at least be a goal threat, Crawford & Asante are neither. Asante has pace, so what? so has Usain Bolt, shall we sign him up? Crawford, with his ginger beard, would be suited to Essex Senior league level or the dog and duck Dagenham pub league
Love it! Season not even started yet... Crawford and Asante, 2 kids playing in an unfamiliar team and system against decent opposition and they didn't score?! Nor did Harris... Is he **** now?

Love it! Season not even started yet... Crawford and Asante, 2 kids playing in an unfamiliar team and system against decent opposition and they didn't score?! Nor did Harris... Is he **** now?
yes.. until he scores then he is brilliant and a future manager.. can you get with the program please :winking:

I think that is a great post... until the final paragraph. Where is this animosity? For a striker who has scored two league goals in 18 months (one of which was the biggest fluke of a goal I've seen in more than 20 years watching Southend), he gets a tremendous amount of support.

Beefy, see the below mate, taken from just this thread. I agree I've seen games where he hasn't performed, I've also seen games where he's played excellently, and somewhere in between. It's the story of a striker, even more so if you don't get a run in the side. And let's be honest, a striker is a position where your performance is directly related to those that support you, so if the supply line isn't performing then the chances are the striker won't be either, unless a) you're missing a hatful of chances or b) you're Freddy Eastwood and you just create your own chances.

they probably watched him train and realised that he is cack and so didnt bother

Good to see he has as much confidence in his own ability as most of the rest of us...

Seems like he just wants to sit around earning decent money without having the hassle of playing at a weekend or training too hard. Seems very strange though as he has a whole career ahead of him and surely a year rotting here at a very important stage of his career will see him struggle in future years, as opposed to taking a pay cut and playing regularly elsewhere.

If Oxford don't want him, its mean Pato is acting like a layabout guy who on incapacity benefit and don't want to work at all!

Last edited:
We looked a different proposition with Harris on the pitch. He carried a threat, had the ball in the net within minutes and had our best chance of the game, which admittedly he should have scored. All after coming on as sub. I'm not saying HC or KA won't be decent in a few years time but at the moment they aren't up to this level of football.

I'm sorry I don't rate them, but I'm certainly not someone who will be booing them and demanding their substitution after 5 minutes. I just would hope that by the time the season starts they are loaned out for their own development and we have better options available. Because as we all know Roots Hall is not the place you want to be consistently failing in front of goal.

Back