• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beefy, see the below mate, taken from just this thread. I agree I've seen games where he hasn't performed, I've also seen games where he's played excellently, and somewhere in between. It's the story of a striker, even more so if you don't get a run in the side. And let's be honest, a striker is a position where your performance is directly related to those that support you, so if the supply line isn't performing then the chances are the striker won't be either, unless a) you're missing a hatful of chances or b) you're Freddy Eastwood and you just create your own chances.

But you're not going to get a uniform opinion on someone, and this place would be very dull if there was one. I never rated Maher, others never rated Flahavan, ORM never rated Eastwood. It doesn't mean that there's animosity towards those players and people voicing a negative opinion on their abilities on a messageboard shouldn't feel like they've got to hang their heads in shame. Other than LDNfatso running Gower out of the Club, I doubt anyone on here has ever expressed an opinion which has genuinely adversely effected the career of an SUFC player. Matt Paterson's career isn't going to be harmed by me pointing out that he's only scored two league goals for us or pboreham suggesting that some of the fanbase don't have confidence in him.

number11 and Murkey weren't even criticising Paterson the player. I think they're just frustrated that we've got a significant proportion of the wagebill being taken up by one guy who hasn't pulled up trees here and doesn't seem to be rated by the Manager.

I agree on strikers needing service, btw, and have made the point recently that I think we need to recruit some players who will ensure that that supply is there. I said it last year when people were saying then that we needed a 20 goal a season striker instead of this bloke we just signed from Exeter where he had as many red cards as he had goals. Get enough crosses into the box and enough good passing in midfield and you'll score goals whoever you've got upfront.

But you're not going to get a uniform opinion on someone, and this place would be very dull if there was one. I never rated Maher, others never rated Flahavan, ORM never rated Eastwood. It doesn't mean that there's animosity towards those players and people voicing a negative opinion on their abilities on a messageboard shouldn't feel like they've got to hang their heads in shame. Other than LDNfatso running Gower out of the Club, I doubt anyone on here has ever expressed an opinion which has genuinely adversely effected the career of an SUFC player. Matt Paterson's career isn't going to be harmed by me pointing out that he's only scored two league goals for us or pboreham suggesting that some of the fanbase don't have confidence in him.

number11 and Murkey weren't even criticising Paterson the player. I think they're just frustrated that we've got a significant proportion of the wagebill being taken up by one guy who hasn't pulled up trees here and doesn't seem to be rated by the Manager.

I agree on strikers needing service, btw, and have made the point recently that I think we need to recruit some players who will ensure that that supply is there. I said it last year when people were saying then that we needed a 20 goal a season striker instead of this bloke we just signed from Exeter where he had as many red cards as he had goals. Get enough crosses into the box and enough good passing in midfield and you'll score goals whoever you've got upfront.

What did you say about Maher???????

Travelling Blue and Blue Wes, I'm passing no comment at the players ability, just questioning his hunger where he would rather sit around and do nothing for a year on more money, than taking a pay cut and playing regularly elsewhere. Of course we would all stay in a job for more money, but would we stay in a job for more money for 1 year and then it's desperately looking for a job after that, or would we take a pay cut to improve skills and hopefully get better long term prospects? I can understand each point of view, but personally if I was Patterson and had the hunger to train hard, play regularly and make a career out of the game then I would be looking to play regular football at 21 rather than have a year picking up a decent wage but not playing for a mediocre bottom league team.

Regarding him 'pledging his loyalty' to us.......if you know something I don't and he pledged his loyalty to Southend out of some desire to get us back up the leagues, then fair play. If he stayed on as he was on a good contract and it meant he wouldnt have to bother looking for another club then I can't really see the credit it in.

I thought he was a decent lower league player but nowhere near the player that he was made out to be by manay on here. I also thought he was pretty poor in the Championship season and that his lack of mobility was a major reason behind why we were constantly overrun at that level.

That's critical for me. :)

Travelling Blue and Blue Wes, I'm passing no comment at the players ability, just questioning his hunger where he would rather sit around and do nothing for a year on more money, than taking a pay cut and playing regularly elsewhere. Of course we would all stay in a job for more money, but would we stay in a job for more money for 1 year and then it's desperately looking for a job after that, or would we take a pay cut to improve skills and hopefully get better long term prospects? I can understand each point of view, but personally if I was Patterson and had the hunger to train hard, play regularly and make a career out of the game then I would be looking to play regular football at 21 rather than have a year picking up a decent wage but not playing for a mediocre bottom league team.

Regarding him 'pledging his loyalty' to us.......if you know something I don't and he pledged his loyalty to Southend out of some desire to get us back up the leagues, then fair play. If he stayed on as he was on a good contract and it meant he wouldnt have to bother looking for another club then I can't really see the credit it in.

I understand not having a uniform opinion. I enjoy the debates on here with the many differences of opinion, even if everybody else is wrong :winking:. And where people say they don't think he's any good because he's slow, a poor finisher etc, I think that's fair enough whether I agree or not. I didn't understand the other derogatory comment regarding his attitude and just him in general. For example, No.11. Your previous comment re: him not wanting to try so hard in training. By all accounts he has remained very professional in that respect - this came from a conversation with Johnny Herd, I'm not sure if they're good mates or not. But even so just because he hasn't accepted a lesser contract from a lesser team, and isn't getting selected for Southend, it doesn't mean he's no longer gonna bother when training with us, and I've seen nor heard any evidence to suggest he has or would do this, as I said, I heard to the contrary. It's seems an unfair assumption to make.

I thought he was a decent lower league player but nowhere near the player that he was made out to be by manay on here. I also thought he was pretty poor in the Championship season and that his lack of mobility was a major reason behind why we were constantly overrun at that level.

Beefy Out!!!!

Ironically I saw it the other way round, with him improving as we went up the leagues. It was the lack of mobility at the back that cost us!

Actually, Maher is a very aposite comparison. When the Chipmunk signed Maher from Spurs, Maher was utterly dire. Really bloody awful; hate figure #1 at the club for a while. Why? Because he rocked up from Spurs, perhaps believing he was the best thing since sliced bread, and yet week after week put in insipid, lacklustre displays for the club. In fact, in Pato's defence, I wouldn't say he's ever been as bad as Maher was when he first arrived at the club - he's certainly never received Kev's level of vilification.

So, what did Kev do? Did he constantly look for the exit door, bemoaning his lack of fortune / opportunity? Nope. He bloody well rolled his sleeves up, proved us all wrong, became club captain, played here for over a decade, lifted two promotion trophies (one of which was a Champions' trophy), and ended in the top 10 of club all-time appearances.

Perhaps there's a lesson in that for Pato. If you're going to be here anyway, Matt, then bloody well force your way into the first XI.

If he stays he will get loaned out to someone picking up a fraction of his wages. He will play, so has no incentive to leave and take a pay cut of his own making.

It's frustrating, but the contract was agreed by out former director of football so should be honoured

Matt Pato, should try and prove PS wrong & do well in training and show him, that he the man that want to fight for the shirt & force his way back in the first team!

Well said that man, IMHO we eather need to give the lad the chance to prove himself by playing him for a while to see what he is capable of or let him go on a free withour best wishes.
This thread is why I no longer commit to this messageboard.

The defamation of a young player who came to us unwillingly and then stayed with us through a horrendous period of the clubs history and still pledged himself loyally to stay and fight for his position is nothing short of disgusting.

The club could end Pato's Southend nightmare by simply paying off the contract that they are legally bound to pay. But they won't because they haven't got a pot to **** in.

How many of you out there in cloud cuckoo land would give up their job and wages for a year? None of you, so why should Pato? The lad I believe is desperate to get away because he just wants to play football, but because he is contracted to the club THE CLUB want money for him, or at least the majority of his wages paid up if it's a loan - so it's not down to Pato not wanting away, because believe me he does, it's down to the club WANTING money - no other reason.

His treatment imho has been disgraceful and all the posters on here who continually spout utter ***** about the kid need to hang their heads in shame imho you're a disgrace.

@Beefy, its true, I am one of the fans is annoyed that we are stuck with a player who is not pulling his weight on and off the pitch and try and force his way in the team, if he cannot do it, why not his wages is better spent on getting two new players from non-league who can do better than Pato.

Correct me If I am wrong.....did the same Kevin Maher not win player of the year in our Championship season???

A few comments on here about Paterson not pulling his weight in training, where has this information come from, I have obviously missed something. Has this been mentioned by Paul Sturrock?

This thread is why I no longer commit to this messageboard.

The defamation of a young player who came to us unwillingly and then stayed with us through a horrendous period of the clubs history and still pledged himself loyally to stay and fight for his position is nothing short of disgusting.

The club could end Pato's Southend nightmare by simply paying off the contract that they are legally bound to pay. But they won't because they haven't got a pot to **** in.

How many of you out there in cloud cuckoo land would give up their job and wages for a year? None of you, so why should Pato? The lad I believe is desperate to get away because he just wants to play football, but because he is contracted to the club THE CLUB want money for him, or at least the majority of his wages paid up if it's a loan - so it's not down to Pato not wanting away, because believe me he does, it's down to the club WANTING money - no other reason.

His treatment imho has been disgraceful and all the posters on here who continually spout utter ***** about the kid need to hang their heads in shame imho you're a disgrace.

You are Matt Paterson and i claim my $5!

Correct me If I am wrong.....did the same Kevin Maher not win player of the year in our Championship season???

He most certainly did. Something that Mark Gower is probably still annoyed about.

I'm well aware of the fact that my opinion about Maher is the minority opinion. I think a lot of people were swayed by the fact that he scored several good goals that season.

Paterson has been cut by Tara Brady who needs him out of the club to ensure the wage structure he has brought in is not overspent. Pato will not be given any opportunity to prove himself, the club need his wages.

An interesting thread from Stockport!

http://countyheaven.maxforum.org/2011/07/20/matt-paterson-5/

very very interesting , good find. Everyone contributing on this thread should take the time to read this. The thread also explains why he will not be joining Oxford

It would be interesting to know if Sturrock would want to keep him, if his wages were in line with what we are paying others.

Paterson has been cut by Tara Brady who needs him out of the club to ensure the wage structure he has brought in is not overspent. Pato will not be given any opportunity to prove himself, the club need his wages.

An interesting thread from Stockport!

http://countyheaven.maxforum.org/2011/07/20/matt-paterson-5/

I think you are correct although PS does not rate him and feels he is to lightweight..Personally I think he should of been given a better chance to prove himself, certainly ahead of Crawford,but the manager picks the side and if he sees no future for him at this club then what is the point in him staying around if it is just based on wages, that does not help either party...if another club come in for him then IMO he would be daft not to try to kick-start his career elsewhere rather than rot in the reserves here just picking up his money...I lay no blame at either parties feet here, he was signed by Tilly and has no doubt felt let down by not getting more of a chance here to prove himself, but I cannot see that happening any more so it is best to get his future sorted out and if Stockport rate him that highly surely he would be better off there at least playing regular football and in the shop window for others to take a look at him.The bottom line is of course can they afford him and what deal would our club be willing to strike with them.

very very interesting , good find. Everyone contributing on this thread should take the time to read this. The thread also explains why he will not be joining Oxford

It would be interesting to know if Sturrock would want to keep him, if his wages were in line with what we are paying others.

And your point is?

I understand not having a uniform opinion. I enjoy the debates on here with the many differences of opinion, even if everybody else is wrong :winking:. And where people say they don't think he's any good because he's slow, a poor finisher etc, I think that's fair enough whether I agree or not. I didn't understand the other derogatory comment regarding his attitude and just him in general. For example, No.11. Your previous comment re: him not wanting to try so hard in training. By all accounts he has remained very professional in that respect - this came from a conversation with Johnny Herd, I'm not sure if they're good mates or not. But even so just because he hasn't accepted a lesser contract from a lesser team, and isn't getting selected for Southend, it doesn't mean he's no longer gonna bother when training with us, and I've seen nor heard any evidence to suggest he has or would do this, as I said, I heard to the contrary. It's seems an unfair assumption to make.

Beefy Out!!!!

Ironically I saw it the other way round, with him improving as we went up the leagues. It was the lack of mobility at the back that cost us!

Blue Wes, my point is, which I find hard to reconcile in my mind, is that assuming he knows he is being frozen out at Southend (rightly or wrongly....) I am surprised he does not want to take a pay cut and play regularly football rather than pick up a wage for a year knowing he is not going to play much, is not wanted and does not have to try too hard to pick up that wage, but in a years time will be looking for anyone to take him on having played very little football by the time he is 21/22..........

But he will play. He will get loaned out, still earn his high wage with us while the team he plays for will pay a small contribution

Back