• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Memorable matches for different reasons

Bazziboo

Exiled from the Riviera
Whilst we await with bated breath for news/updates.

Been watching some highlights today and getting sentimental. Apart from Bury, Swansea, Man Utd, Wembley etc what games for you bring back happy/melancholy memories that to others was just an ordinary game?

Sorry to start with a downer but 29th October 2022 York City away, Will always hold a special place for me as was last away road trip and indeed Southend game that my wife and I got to together due to her chemotherapy and ill health.

Little did i know , but I joked to her on drive home that if it was her last game then at least they won..she just laughed and said 'its a F****** miracle, now I need one'. She sadly fell Into her forever sleep in March this year.

This is for you Lou xx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120_133142_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230120_133142_Facebook.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 71
My condolences to you on your loss.

A few spring to mind, a few early games in my life. I remember a game against Hartlepool in 2006 we won 3-0 with Freddy scoring from an impossible angle. Remember that goal vividly and think its on Youtube somewhere. Really showed how good he was. The game against Bury where Worrall scored that freekick, mainly due to hearing on the radio on the way home that he had lost his child a few days prior. A 1-0 win against Forest at The Hall watching the Forest fans stream out of the away end (pretty sure I saw my first streaker at this game). Another game against Hartlepool at The Hall where we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. That was my first game in the West Stand (am a regular in the East Blacks now).

Some bad days out, a 96th min loss to Chesterfield away with Eastwood scoring. A loss at Gillingham with Prosser looking like he could cry with the abuse he was getting as he went down the tunnel.

Mine would be the Rushden & Diamonds Boxing Day game.

I went along with my brother, my sister, and brother in law at the time. First time heā€™d been to Roots Hall. Was a Chelsea fan, but also policed at Palace & Brighton matches too.

Always used to get stick off him about Southend. I always said Iā€™d take him along to show him proper football, but they were based Crawley way.

Anyways, he was over for Christmas, so I said about Rushden & Diamonds for Boxing Day and it was set. Couple beers before hand, fish & chips, the full match day experience.

0-2 down at half time and I was getting dogs abuse. Second half and we turned into prime Barcelona and destroyed Rushden & Diamonds and won 4-2. All the goals in front of the South Stand. Pretty certain the goalmouth was frozen down that end, and the ā€œdefendingā€ suggested something wasnā€™t right with that end, with all 6 goals down that end.

We left the ground, and I got begrudging praise for that.

Also, Southend 3-2 Walsall.

No idea why, but my brother is a Walsall fan. Donā€™t know why, no links to the area or anything like that, but to be fair he has been up there a few times. So when we were in the same division, a family tradition was white wine jƤger bombs (white wine instead of red bull). We always had a side wager on the game, loser had to do a white wine jƤger bomb. Cant remember if it was the same season, but us two and two matches did the goalless draw there. Awful game, good night out.

Anyways, we brought four tickets together in the West Stand. 0-2 down at half time, and I was getting hammered by the three of them. Step forward Simon Cox. A superb free kick to complete the turnaround and I made the three of them do a white wine jƤger bomb in the Spread before moving into town.

Fantastic times.

Last edited:
I suppose one for me was Hartlepool at home in around 1984. I sat in my then normal seat in what is now the East blacks oniy to find me, my brother and dad were surrounded by racist Hartlepool fans who were giving Richard Cadette monkey chant noises and all kinds of abuse for the entire 90 minutes.

Hartlepool took the lead in around the 43rd minute, RC equalised in the 44th and they regained the lead in the 45th. it stayed that way until the 91st when RC equalised and in the 92nd John Gymer got the winner.

It also sticks in my mind because the Echo report on the match mentioned how great the away fans were as they were so noisy and supportive of their team. Unsurprisingly my dad didn't take too kindly to that and wrote to them. In fairness, the Echo printed my dad's letter which made it very clear what the Hartlepool fans were really like.

My condolences to you on your loss.

A few spring to mind, a few early games in my life. I remember a game against Hartlepool in 2006 we won 3-0 with Freddy scoring from an impossible angle. Remember that goal vividly and think its on Youtube somewhere. Really showed how good he was. The game against Bury where Worrall scored that freekick, mainly due to hearing on the radio on the way home that he had lost his child a few days prior. A 1-0 win against Forest at The Hall watching the Forest fans stream out of the away end (pretty sure I saw my first streaker at this game). Another game against Hartlepool at The Hall where we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. That was my first game in the West Stand (am a regular in the East Blacks now).

Some bad days out, a 96th min loss to Chesterfield away with Eastwood scoring. A loss at Gillingham with Prosser looking like he could cry with the abuse he was getting as he went down the tunnel.
There you go.

I went along with my brother, my sister, and brother in law at the time. First time heā€™d been to Roots Hall. Was a Chelsea fan, but also policed at Palace & Brighton matches too.

No idea why, but my brother is a Walsall fan. Donā€™t know why, no links to the area or anything like that, but to be fair he has been up there a few times. So when we were in the same division, a family tradition was white wine jƤger bombs (white wine instead of red bull). We always had a side wager on the game, loser had to do a white wine jƤger bomb. Cant remember if it was the same season, but us two and two matches did the goalless draw there. Awful game, good night out.

Anyways, we brought four tickets together in the West Stand. 0-2 down at half time, and I was getting hammered by the three of them. Step forward Simon Cox. A hat trick, and I made the three of them do a white wine jƤger bomb in the Spread before moving into town.

Fantastic times.
There you go.

Last edited:
Frozen pitch reminds me of Anglo Italian cup abort and then abortion away at Notts C and also Wycombe away (was it Boxing or NY Day). The latter should have been called off though we wouldnā€™t have said that if the result was the other way.

Nothing tops the yet to be wife taken away for a ā€˜romanticā€™ long weekend in Blackpool interspersed by a ā€˜shortā€™ trip across the country to see us away at Grimsby. Yep as usual cold, smelly and we lost!

Always used to get stick off him about Southend. I always said Iā€™d take him along to show him proper football, but they were based Crawley way.

Anyways, he was over for Christmas, so I said about Rushden & Diamonds for Boxing Day and it was set. Couple beers before hand, fish & chips, the full match day experience.

0-2 down at half time and I was getting dogs abuse. Second half and we turned into prime Barcelona and destroyed Rushden & Diamonds and won 4-2. All the goals in front of the South Stand. Pretty certain the goalmouth was frozen down that end, and the ā€œdefendingā€ suggested something wasnā€™t right with that end, with all 6 goals down that end.

We left the ground, and I got begrudging praise for that.

Anyways, we brought four tickets together in the West Stand. 0-2 down at half time, and I was getting hammered by the three of them. Step forward Simon Cox. A hat trick, and I made the three of them do a white wine jƤger bomb in the Spread before moving into town.

Fantastic times.
I remember both of those and was actually going to mention the Rushden game.

Others for me - Gillingham away when Regis Coulbault and Jereon Boere both scored late goals to give us a 2-1win, the result being more memorable than the game tbh, and also Crystal Palace at home where we scored first and then defended for our lives, overcoming an equaliser and surviving a missed penalty (I think... taken by Freedman) before another late winner by Boere which wasn't just our only other shot, but probably the only other time we got into their half!
Stopped in the Harry pub after the game and 4 Palace fans came in. We apologised for winning and found it all absolutely hilarious. Unsurprisingly they didn't and one of them strongly declared that there wasn't one Southend player they would want at their club, let alone their first team.
That just seemed to make it funnier somehow.

So sorry for your loss @Bazziboo - we were at that game also, it was a good win.

Couple from me - Kev Maher's annihilation of QPR in a 5-0 win in the Championship when it was still possible for us to stay up - poor Roycie gifting us the 1st goal and having a torrid Friday evening under the lights at Roots Hall.

Millwall away January 2010 - we lost 2-0 - but it was my first date with Kev! Followed up a couple of weeks later with our 2nd date, away at Colchester. We lost that too but very vividly remember the mascot race where Sammy sabotaged the Colchester mascot. Think this was also the notorious Adam Barrett sand kick gifting them a goal.

Today is Father's Day.
I found out a few weeks ago that my father had died just over 2 years ago on the I of W.
My parents divorced when I was 14, partially thru his infidelity BUT over the subsequent, almost 50 years I have realised there was much more involved.
The last two times I saw him were away at Peterborough ,I think it was first away game of season and was League Cup, and we lost. It was a shock to both of us and we just briefly spoke and sat apart.
Next saw him at (away) Sheff U, game, in a torrentialdown pour and we lost 2 nil iirc. That time we sat together and spoke of nothing of consequences, just football and small talk.
He was a long time supporter and took me and my brothers to our first games in the late 1960s, onto the South Bank.
Some on here may know Peter from when he was staff at Leigh Comm in 1970s, or as the consignieur at Mecca Bingo in Sutton Road for much of this century. He was coach to games man.
Regrets

First one that comes to mind is the home game v Wigan on the (very) Good Friday of 1988.
We were 2-0 down at half-time but roared back in the second half to win 3-2 with a couple of great goals scored by Martin Ling (a volley from the edge of the area) to equalise and a 25 yard thunderbolt from David Crown to win it. Big Roy got the first of our goals but I can't recall it with anything like the clarity of those two wonder strikes.

I remember both of those and was actually going to mention the Rushden game.

Others for me - Gillingham away when Regis Coulbault and Jereon Boere both scored late goals to give us a 2-1win, the result being more memorable than the game tbh, and also Crystal Palace at home where we scored first and then defended for our lives, overcoming an equaliser and surviving a missed penalty (I think... taken by Freedman) before another late winner by Boere which wasn't just our only other shot, but probably the only other time we got into their half!
Stopped in the Harry pub after the game and 4 Palace fans came in. We apologised for winning and found it all absolutely hilarious. Unsurprisingly they didn't and one of them strongly declared that there wasn't one Southend player they would want at their club, let alone their first team.
That just seemed to make it funnier somehow.
There you go.

My favourite random game was Exeter in the 2012/13 season.

We were 1-0 down in the second half and as a last throw of the dice threw on the legend that is Big Bad Barry Corr for his first game back after nearly 18 months out injured. That was emotional enough seeing BBBC return knowing what heā€™d been through and the work he must have put into return but within minutes BBBC equalised. Then if that wasnā€™t enough another Southend legend, Freddy Eastwood, also on as sub after returning from injury, scored a last minute winner, his first goal since rejoining permanently, to earn us all three points.

šŸ˜ šŸ˜

there was a game v Bournemouth in 97/98 that always sticks in the memory- Andy Thomson got two (I think?) and Boere got at least 1 in a 5-2 victory.
Nigel Jemson was playing for Bmuff (who under Clough at Forest was the next big thing ) was older and on his way down the leagues

What was the game, late 90s or early 00's

Opposition keeper was sent off and booted the ball into the east blacks?

Back