• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Memorable matches for different reasons

Home to Newport in '77. I can't remember the details but I think we were two down with maybe 15 mins left and came back to win 4 2. I do remember lots of noise from a pretty sparse crowd, circa 4,500. Damn but it was exciting.
I was at the game with a good college mate from Newport.He obviously thought his ship had come in until those last 15 mins. :Winking:

Reactions: KAB
I always remember this game versus Middlesbrough in 93/ 94 for the very un-Southend reason that we were just really very good indeed, and in the second tier too.

Memoarable match for me was in ( for all the wrong reasons) 2001 v Mansfield at roots hall.

Just before half time the referee collapsed near the centre circle , people cheered at the time , but everyone was soon to realise that it was much more serious.

The ref later died.

R.I.P. Mike North

@Pak Power iirc it was in the first 10 minutes, and an early season game with sun shining into the East.
People soon realised it was very serious and then showed, the majority, proper respect. The players were visibly upset.
Absolutely terrible.

My Roots Hall debut was some 60 years ago on Jan. 6th. 1962 when we played and beat Torquay United 2-1 in front of just under 6,000 supporters. Personally I cannot remember anything about the match itself but what made it so memorable for me was the vast size of the stadium as I went up the steps in the North Bank as a 12 year old to view the Roots Hall pitch for the very first time and in particular that massive terraced area opposite the good old South Bank. My 60 years as a Shrimpers fan has seen so many ups and downs over all those years and recently even more downs but my favourite period of matches has never changed (must be an age thing I think) as back in 1968-69 we were playing in the famous Scotland shirts, most home matches were played under the Roots Hall lights and our crowds back then were the envy of so many other teams. We had the "PAK" behind that North Bank goal who were packed in there like a tin of sardines and yes for those that can't remember you had to get in early to be sure to get in there, it really was the place to be. We had such a brilliant team scored over 100 goals in league and cup (how many times has that happened since?) with the likes of Mike Beesley, Tony Bentley, Billy Best, Graham Birks, Phil Chisnall, Eddie Clayton, John Kurila, Gary Moore and the late great Trevor Roberts to name just a few. This team has always been my personal favourite certainly not the best team we have ever had but it will always be a mystery to me and many others supporters from back in the day how that particular team were never promoted.

[QUOTE="Pak Power, post: 2623566, me
@Pak Power iirc it was in the first 10 minutes, and an early season game with sun shining into the East.
People soon realised it was very serious and then showed, the majority, proper respect. The players were visibly upset.
Absolutely terrible.
[/QUOTE]

No it was late in first half. I saw him fall, he never moved after hitting the ground. Tragic.

Whilst we await with bated breath for news/updates.

Been watching some highlights today and getting sentimental. Apart from Bury, Swansea, Man Utd, Wembley etc what games for you bring back happy/melancholy memories that to others was just an ordinary game?

Sorry to start with a downer but 29th October 2022 York City away, Will always hold a special place for me as was last away road trip and indeed Southend game that my wife and I got to together due to her chemotherapy and ill health.

Little did i know , but I joked to her on drive home that if it was her last game then at least they won..she just laughed and said 'its a F****** miracle, now I need one'. She sadly fell Into her forever sleep in March this year.

This is for you Lou xx

Sorry for your loss. Must have been such a difficult time.

As for games.

Remember going to Plymouth in around 1998/1999 we were dreadful that year. Our away record was dire.

About 50 or so Southend at home park to see Sada ndyaie score the winner

My unusual game is one that never happened. My Dad was a huge Spurs fan, but he took me to my first Southend game. In the nighties he would come along and watch games with me on the North Bank. We were due to play Millwall on a Saturday but it was called off because of fog. Dad hadn't checked CEEFAX/TELETEXT and arrived to find a deserted Roots Hall. He never went to a game again.

Dad finally passed was in January aged 93 and after the 2022 WC he sadly fell out love with football, He may have been a Tottenham fan and season ticket holder for many years, like his Dad and Granddad, but he always had a soft spot for the mighty shrimpers

Southend 3-2 Walsall atmosphere was electric for Simon cox goal what a day and what a come back

Another one Ive thought of is away at Millwall sometime in 2016(?), we won 2-0 with an early goal from Mooney and a great header from Adam Barrett. Before the game we did the Bermondsey Mile of about 7 or 8 micro-breweries. A lovely sunny day and a great win to top it off. Luckily I lived in South London at the time so a quick train ride home

Another one Ive thought of is away at Millwall sometime in 2016(?), we won 2-0 with an early goal from Mooney and a great header from Adam Barrett. Before the game we did the Bermondsey Mile of about 7 or 8 micro-breweries. A lovely sunny day and a great win to top it off. Luckily I lived in South London at the time so a quick train ride home
There you go.
They wasn't getting past Dan Bentley that day.

Home to Newport in '77. I can't remember the details but I think we were two down with maybe 15 mins left and came back to win 4 2. I do remember lots of noise from a pretty sparse crowd, circa 4,500. Damn but it was exciting.
My dad was at that game, as was our neighbour. Our neighbour left with about 15 mins to go because he'd had enough. My dad stayed until the end. When he got home he went next door to tell him the score!

Best away win - 4-1 beating Millwall on the opening of the New Den.
Best ever Southend performance - 1-0 loss to Everton in F A Cup, we played brilliantly,outplayed them but lost to a Peter Beardsley goal - scandalous!!
The you go.
Full game. Cracking away kit as well. Jason Lee's best game for us.

Back