• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:48)]when the latter on to Schoenberg, I tend to get a bit lost...

suspect.gif
I wouldn't worry about him- you either love him or hate him. I can't stand it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,10:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:48)]when the latter on to Schoenberg, I tend to get a bit lost...

suspect.gif
wink.gif

I'm no fan either, Naps... it's when the classical bores talk in raptures about his music progressing from his early atonalism to the starker, almost cubist tone-row phase, that I feel that I somehow haven't quite connected with young Arnold.

And let's not even get on to his pupil, Webern...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,10:54)]
[b said:

suspect.gif
wink.gif

I'm no fan either, Naps... it's when the classical bores talk in raptures about his music progressing from his early atonalism to the starker, almost cubist tone-row phase, that I feel that I somehow haven't quite connected with young Arnold.
I think because he's a naturalised American he's overhyped.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 10 2005,11:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:03)]And let's not even get on to his pupil, Webern...
yeah, he's really rubbish.........
rock.gif
I agree, and his image - Oxfam chic with glasses - is so mid 90's Jarvis Cocker rip off!

Webern,Anton_von.gif

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:14)]I think because he's a naturalised American he's overhyped.
Sorry, can't agree there.  The other naturalised American composers of the time (e.g. Dvorak, Bartók) were (a) class; and (b) very underrated...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:48)]Jings!
You can tell your other half is from north of the border MtS!

A term I never had encountered until I moved up here.
Does she prounounce the letter "J" as jai and not jay too?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:14)]I think because he's a naturalised American he's overhyped.
Sorry, can't agree there.  The other naturalised American composers of the time (e.g. Dvorak, Bartók) were (a) class; and (b) very underrated...

wink.gif
You may think Dvorak's class, I only know him from the Hovis ads

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 10 2005,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,10:48)]Jings!
You can tell your other half is from north of the border MtS!

A term I never had encountered until I moved up here.
Does she prounounce the letter "J" as jai and not jay too?
biggrin.gif

Yup, not a word I'd heard until we started going out - but it's a great word, I think!

smile.gif

J is still "jay", I think...

rock.gif

However, debates about the definition of "juice" or the correct pronunciation of "apricot" continue to rumble along in our house...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:29)]You may think Dvorak's class, I only know him from the Hovis ads

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
Ah, but the way he pushed that bike up the hill, you could see the lad had talent...

laugh.gif

(The Hovis music - the second movement - is a great part of a great symphony, IMHO - if you are unfamiliar with the rest of his 9th, it's well worth checking out).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,10:40)]'Whatever's in the charts' - in other words people who don't like music. I cannot understand or even trust people who are not moved in some way by music, any knd of music, as that is just not human.
I hate that attitude, it ****es me off.

I had the Promo for Eric Prydz - 'Call on me' some time ago, and played it at a party i was Dj'in at, and the dancefloor pretty much emptied. Play it now and i bet id get a totally different reaction. Many other dance tunes which are somewhat better (altho of course all that is opinions) than Prydz never made such an impact on the chart, and only real dance fans would dance to them, where as the forementioned people by Ron Manager will say ...
"Whats that sh*t your playing, play summit everyone knows". How do these people think Dance songs start out??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:31)]However, debates about the definition of "juice" or the correct pronunciation of "apricot" continue to rumble along in our house...
We have similair discussions in our house when my missus talks about having sausage and 'iggs' for breakfast.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,11:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:31)]However, debates about the definition of "juice" or the correct pronunciation of "apricot" continue to rumble along in our house...
We have similair discussions in our house when my missus talks about having sausage and 'iggs' for breakfast.

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

I take it that "fush 'n' chups" is a bit passé round at yours...

tounge.gif

[b said:

tounge.gif
Juice i can understand. Apricot i can't

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:31)]J is still "jay", I think...

rock.gif

However, debates about the definition of "juice" or the correct pronunciation of "apricot" continue to rumble along in our house...

tounge.gif
Aaar yes, that old favourite. For the uninitiated the term "juice" in Scotland is everything non-alcoholic and fluid with the exception of Irn-Bru which goes by the name of "ginger". Weird but slightly endearing!

The number of times I've had to keep myself in check at work & not unleash a rant at the use of "JAI".
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,11:35)]
[b said:

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

I take it that "fush 'n' chups" is a bit passé round at yours...

tounge.gif
tounge.gif

One of my wife's friends told me a great story about when she was teaching a class full of 5 year old kids in London and telling them all about her home country. She was talking about rugby and was telling them how rugby balls are 'igg' shaped. However this was greeted by puzzled looks untill one brave little kid stuck his hand up and said 'Miss, don't you mean e-gg shaped?'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:37)]
[b said:

tounge.gif
The debate is: does the "a" in apricot sound like:

1. the "a" in "hay"; or
2. the "a" in "hat"?

I say 1, the missus says 2.

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:37)]
[b said:

tounge.gif

1. the "a" in "hay"; or
2. the "a" in "hat"?

rock.gif

Matt
aaaahhhhh

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,11:41)]She was telling them how rugby balls are 'igg' shaped. However this was greeted by puzzled looks untill one brave little kid stuck his hand up and said 'Miss, don't you mean e-gg shaped?'
laugh.gif

I shall save my other NZ vowel anecdote for City Shrimpers -at least we'll have something to talk about then...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:37)]Juice i can understand. Apricot i can't

1. the "a" in "hay"; or
2. the "a" in "hat"?

rock.gif

Matt
aaaahhhhh
aaahhh-pricot?

Blimey, that's a new one on me...

tounge.gif

Back