• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,11:41)]She was telling them how rugby balls are 'igg' shaped. However this was greeted by puzzled looks untill one brave little kid stuck his hand up and said 'Miss, don't you mean e-gg shaped?'
laugh.gif

I shall save my other NZ vowel anecdote for City Shrimpers -at least we'll have something to talk about then...

tounge.gif
I agree

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,11:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:31)]However, debates about the definition of "juice" or the correct pronunciation of "apricot" continue to rumble along in our house...

tounge.gif
Juice i can understand. Apricot i can't
The debate is: does the "a" in apricot sound like:

1. the "a" in "hay"; or
2. the "a" in "hat"?

I say 1, the missus says 2.

rock.gif

Matt
Never heard that one before, I'll check with my other-half tonight, although as she hails from Aberdeen it could be something completely off the wall
tounge.gif

This thread is why I love this board - look at the way the topic has gone from the mid-week chart positions to the different pronunciations of words by people from different parts of the english speaking world via many other points in between.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 10 2005,11:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:31)]J is still "jay", I think...

rock.gif

However, debates about the definition of "juice" or the correct pronunciation of "apricot" continue to rumble along in our house...

tounge.gif
Aaar yes, that old favourite.  For the uninitiated the term "juice" in Scotland is everything non-alcoholic and fluid with the exception of Irn-Bru which goes by the name of "ginger".  Weird but slightly endearing!

The number of times I've had to keep myself in check at work & not unleash a rant at the use of "JAI".  
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif
I'd heard the "ginger" one from another Scottish mate, but the missus doesn't call it that. This may be because Cumbernauld is the home of all Barr's drinks; that being so, the Barr's drinks are all a bit special in C'nauld, and so each gets called by it's own name there:

*Irn Bru
*American Cream Soda

(err, do they make any others?)

I've not heard the "jai" thing, I must say... but then that sounds a little like the estuarine tendency to pronounce the letter 'h' as "hhhaitch". Gawd, that annoys me...

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,11:47)]This thread is why I love this board - look at the way the topic has gone from the mid-week chart positions to the different pronunciations of words by people from different parts of the english speaking world via many other points in between.

tounge.gif
Exactly along the lines of what I was thinking Ron.
Almost as spooky as our shared appreciation of the lovely Lauren Laverne (getting the topic slightly back in terms of music....)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,11:47)]This thread is why I love this board - look at the way the topic has gone from the mid-week chart positions to the different pronunciations of words by people from different parts of the english speaking world via many other points in between.
biggrin.gif

'Tis one of the best things about the Zone, IMHO.

S'pose I'd better do some work now... hey ho...

sad.gif

Laters y'all.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 10 2005,11:50)]
[b said:

tounge.gif
Exactly along the lines of what I was thinking Ron.
Almost as spooky as our shared appreciation of the lovely Lauren Laverne (getting the topic slightly back in terms of music....)
That's not spooky, just obvious shared good taste (we both appreciate the fine female form of Lauren Laverne and both support the Mighty Shrimpers).

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,11:54)]That's not spooky, just obvious shared good taste (we both appreciate the fine female form of Lauren Laverne and both support the Mighty Shrimpers).

tounge.gif
Despite the fact that you'd lose her on a piece of bed-linen, so pale is her skin...?!

183996.jpg

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:48)]I'd heard the "ginger" one from another Scottish mate, but the missus doesn't call it that.  This may be because Cumbernauld is the home of all Barr's drinks; that being so, the Barr's drinks are all a bit special in C'nauld, and so each gets called by it's own name there:

*Irn Bru
*American Cream Soda

(err, do they make any others?)

I've not heard the "jai" thing, I must say... but then that sounds a little like the estuarine tendency to pronounce the letter 'h' as "hhhaitch".  Gawd, that annoys me...

ghostface.gif
With you on the "Hhhaitch" thing but perhaps I've not explained myself clearly, it's "jai" as in the "igh" of sigh. Hmmm strange.

Barr's do a full range of fizzy juice. Their ginger beer being a particular favourite of mine with either vodka or Morgan's Spiced. Never heard any slang term for their cream soda though. Also they are one of the last companies to still do returnable bottles. I think as well the family is connected to Bill Barr who's construction company is responsible for many of the new grounds in the UK (are they not rebuilding Birdbrain Rd?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:57)]Despite the fact that you'd lose her on a piece of bed-linen, so pale is her skin...?!
Well she is from Sunderland, what do you expect, a tanned-raven haired temptress?
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 10 2005,12:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 10 2005,11:58)]Barr's do a full range of fizzy juice.
Do they do red cola? If so, that's fantastic for both hangovers and colds (when heated up).
Not as far as I know, although I seem to remember I've seen it stocked somewhere up here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 10 2005,11:58)]With you on the "Hhhaitch" thing but perhaps I've not explained myself clearly, it's "jai" as in the "igh" of sigh.  Hmmm strange.
So it rhymes with the letter that precedes it in the alphabet?  Now that is weird... and I'm pretty certain the missus doesn't say that.

rock.gif

Another interesting one: us Sassenachs, when reading out numbers (e.g. phone nos.) will say "Oh", as in:

"Oh-one-seven-oh-two" (01702)

North of the border, that's almost always said as "zero"...

cool.gif

Good gen on Barr's... have no idea, meself...!

MtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 10 2005,11:57)]Despite the fact that you'd lose her on a piece of bed-linen, so pale is her skin...?!
Oh, I'd find her Matt don't you worry about that.

wink.gif

Do ppl want me to post the Midweeks every week, or is there not much interest. Ill probably do it anyway if you say no, as im bored, but would be nice to know there was a purpose

Dave

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 10 2005,12:58)]Do ppl want me to post the Midweeks every week, or is there not much interest. Ill probably do it anyway if you say no, as im bored, but would be nice to know there was a purpose

Dave
If it sets us off on a wonderful meandering thread like this one every week then definitely, and if not then what harm does it do? Go for it I say.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,13:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 10 2005,12:58)]Do ppl want me to post the Midweeks every week, or is there not much interest. Ill probably do it anyway if you say no, as im bored, but would be nice to know there was a purpose

Dave
If it sets us off on a wonderful meandering thread like this one every week then definitely, and if not then what harm does it do? Go for it I say.
Sounds good to me.
As Ron said previously, isn't it great how one topic can randomly lead you somewhere completely unrelated.

Welcome to my insomnia people!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 10 2005,13:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 10 2005,13:04)]
[b said:

Dave
Sounds good to me.
As Ron said previously, isn't it great how one topic can randomly lead you somewhere completely unrelated.

Welcome to my insomnia people!!!
Top Muva-Funking Tune!!!!

Back