• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the bit about being at Fossetts 2015, by my reckoning if the latest guesstimates of work starting early next year are true I would have thought 2013/14 would be the likely date. To be honest 2015 sounds more likely to me though.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the bit about being at Fossetts 2015, by my reckoning if the latest guesstimates of work starting early next year are true I would have thought 2013/14 would be the likely date. To be honest 2115 sounds more likely to me though.

Slight edit :'(

Just being able to name two players is utterly disgraceful. Good on Callum for holding the presenter to account.

I appreciate it's not your point (Chapman is paid to present programmes on football so should be well versed on the subject), but as an aside, for how many teams in the FL do you think you could name three or more players?

Several years ago, my answer would have been 'most teams' but it's nowhere near that now.

I appreciate it's not your point (Chapman is paid to present programmes on football so should be well versed on the subject), but as an aside, for how many teams in the FL do you think you could name three or more players?

Several years ago, my answer would have been 'most teams' but it's nowhere near that now.

Yeah, quite possibly only the one club these days such is my apathy to football outside of the mighty SUFC, but when I was 13 or so I reckon I could have quite easily named more or less the starting XIs for all 92 league clubs. Admittedly that was probably aided by us having played in three divisions in three years and nicely topped up by a fair bit of Champ Manager, but I don't think I'm being overly unreasonable in expecting a presenter to have more knowledge than a 13 year old.

At the very least, I might have glanced down at the day's results and remembered Mark Phillips and Ryan Hall.

606 Phone-In

Was listening the Podcast of Saturday's 606 hone-In and they were good enough to give us a shout and ask for any Southend supporters to get in touch. One did... but oh my God what a d@#k! I was squirming in my driver's seat and cringing. Did anbody else on here listen to the caller?

Truly embarrassing.

As the token football league call was it introduced David Mellor style as "and remember it's not all about the Premier$hite"?

Just being able to name two players is utterly disgraceful. Good on Callum for holding the presenter to account.

How much is Chapman getting paid to present 6-0-6?

It's not utterly disgraceful at all. Because he hosts a football phone-in radio programme and other footy shows doesn't mean he should be able to reel off our squad. Just because Southend United is the centre of our football universe doesn't mean it is for others.

I appreciated the fact that they encouraged a caller supporting our club to pipe up because otherwise I bet nobody would. We'd just moan we don't get enough exposure.

As I said in my initial post on this matter, the caller was an embarrassment.

"The quality of your bench," said Paul Sturrock before Southend's home match against Oxford. "That has always been the key factor in success." After 45 minutes it looked as if the quality was there alone.

LOL. Brilliant!

It's not utterly disgraceful at all. Because he hosts a football phone-in radio programme and other footy shows doesn't mean he should be able to reel off our squad. Just because Southend United is the centre of our football universe doesn't mean it is for others.

I appreciated the fact that they encouraged a caller supporting our club to pipe up because otherwise I bet nobody would. We'd just moan we don't get enough exposure.

As I said in my initial post on this matter, the caller was an embarrassment.

Yes, it is a disgrace.

This isn't about Southend United, this is about lower league football in general. It is his job and he can't even be arsed to put in an hour's preparation each week by watching the Football League show.

Slipper quite rightly called Alan Shearer out for his lack of effort, and this is exactly the same crime.

great work on the gaurdian website essexfella. also like bonnieprince's comments - although not sure where the wooden terracing is/was?

I spotted this artical by "BONNIEPRINCE" and it brought a tear to my eye. I hope i have not done wrong in cut and pasting it!

It's a real shame the club has to move from Roots Hall. It's a funny, lovely old ground, full of soul. I've had fine times there and seen some great games, and some of my favourite football memories are tied up in that stadium, like meeting paul gascoigne at a charity game, or being amongst 12,000 odd packed in for cup games and local derbies, or seeing an aged and enormous nev southall make one amazingly athletic save.
There is nothing like walking to the ground at quarter to three and seeing people closing their front doors behind them and rushing down the street in time for kick off. The stadium is at the heart of the community, in the centre of the old town, from the west stand you can see the spire of St.Mary's, the mother church of southend, and the trees of prittlewell park. On a thursday the huge car park next to the ground has its weekly market, with the second-hand market on sunday, and every second saturday the chip shop at the end of the road has a spike in sales. You can go for a pint in the pub where the club was formed, still standing about a hundred odd yards from the gates. There is little branding, free parking, beer, pies, old duffers, gangs of kids, wooden terracing, stinky toilets, flaky paintwork, familiar faces, season in season out, baking in the summer and freezing in the winter. It is not sentimental, it is still a functioning part of working class culture and part of the football tradition in this country - something which is being lost on an almost yearly basis as clubs move grounds. It is something Arsene Wenger noted when he first came to this country, that in Britain football grounds are in the middle of towns, rising above roof tops and very much part of the fabric of a community. Now, however, the trend is to have an identikit plastic stadium on a ring road or junction, part of a 'leisure park' or supermarket development, surrounded by arable desert, out of town, out of the way. You have to drive or get the bus, then drive back to go to the pub or chippy, no banter at the bar or on the street. And the old ground? flattened to make way for poor quality housing, offices, more supermarkets, money for the developers, kudos for the tory council, screw the people.
Don't get me wrong, I want the club to survive, to prosper, to move on. But for me, the club is so tied up with Roots Hall that to leave it will kill part of its soul. Whilst I can't go much these days I know there is a core group of supporters, some friends and some I don't know, madly loyal fans who follow the club through thick and thin, from the edge of oblivion to the top half of the championship and back down again. I want success for them as much as the club. I only wish they didn't have to get rid of the old Hall and build yet another supermarket in it's place.

Yeah I think in an ideal world the new ground would have been built on the Roots Hall site. I'm really going to miss being able to be back in the Spread 5 minutes after the final whistle and looking where we are in the table, etc. It won't quite be the same at the new ground but it is a necessary evil for the club to progress. The way things are going it could be a few years yet before we need to worry about the changes to our matchday rituals.

Back