• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Roots Hall.

This is probably a lot harder for me than most on here.Yes I know Canvey and a few others were there or therebouts in those old days when it all began for me.

I Guess I was about 9 when I used to visit Priory Park and wondered who these people were kicking footballs about, It took a kickabout friend to point out to me "that is Southend United"...I was at boarding school at that time so it was mostly at half terms that I had the chance to visit the Park....This was the normal training ground in those day's.. It became the normal at every school break for me, we became the local ball-boy's of the day and we became part of the family when we were invited to Roots Hall on Matchday as a thanks.

I do not remember the first game I went to or in what order the players appeared ...I remember Chisnel,Woodley,Bentley, Mcgiven and one of my all time favourites at the Hall...Trevor Roberts, who kind of took a shine to us youngsters and was a top top man. ( sadly he died many years ago). I think it was Arthur Rowley in charge in those days followed by Ernie Shepherd, but forgive me if I am not accurate.We became a fixture at the Hall after that.

We used to bunk in mostly over the old South Bank by the Hospital Toc H wooden hut. In our day's off at half term we were at the ground most day's as volunteers..There are so many things we used to do to help but one that stands out in my mind is when they extended the East stand and put in proper seats instead of bench's..I spent I think about a week ( well it felt like it at the time) sticking gold transfer numbers on to each seat.

There is a picture of one of my relatives in the recent book "A Century United" as a player , maybe it was in the blood but my love for SUFC has never wained from those day's.I have so many stories to tell over the 40 odd years I have loved the Shrimpers and not the time to tell them all here, but it does bring a lump to my throat as we are about to kiss the old place goodbye. Roots Hall will always be a special place to me but I felt many years ago that if we had a chance to move we should take it, but it never materialized.

I have seen 100's and 100's of players come and go and a fair few manager's. I miss some of my old friends from those day's that are sadly not here anymore, but I have made so many more over the year's and I have had a few gap's along the way due to family commitments.

Today I have mixed feelings of course, my youth and all of my life up until now supporting SUFC has been at the Hall, but I know it is time to move on and bring a new future to SUFC...I look forward to Fossetts with a smile and a new future for the club and us all, but with a tear for those long gone day's that have made my life and love of my club complete.

Long may SUFC remain in all your hearts.

John.

Roots Hall.

I Guess I was about 9 when I used to visit Priory Park and wondered who these people were kicking footballs about, It took a kickabout friend to point out to me "that is Southend United"...

John.

This is a lie. Southend United were only founded in 1906.....

(P.S. Sorry John, I couldnt resist... x)

Brilliant thread. Ive only been going for about 8 years but i'm going to miss Roots Hall a great deal.

It has a charm to it and i've seen the terraces explode so many times with sheer joy that it gives me a tingle when I look at the stands and remember goals I've seen.

Cricko, that brings a lump to my throat, it wil be a very sad time when we do leave. We will always have our memories!

I never will forget the phrase that all the commentators use when we are winning not to mention the most appropriate time for its use when we beat Man United "And Roots Hall is rockin" - it really was that night......

Brilliant thread. Ive only been going for about 8 years but i'm going to miss Roots Hall a great deal.

It has a charm to it and i've seen the terraces explode so many times with sheer joy that it gives me a tingle when I look at the stands and remember goals I've seen.

Spot of mate.....

I will have been going 30 years next year.....a lot of people have been going longer, and some only maybe 6 months but if you have great memories of the ground then you will miss it just as much as any one else will.

My dad was at Roots Hall for it's first game. He is looking forward to the last just as much - I'm sure with a few tears!!

So many great Roots Hall moments, it's true to say I've had some of the greatest moments in my life there, some of the worst too (although true wretchedness was more common away from home).

I know it's been said countless times before, but before the seats, standing on the North Bank terraces, those are my fondest memories. I would love to have experienced some of the recent successes from that vantage point. One particular game that I watched from the North Bank will always be truly special to me, not just for the result, but the fever-pitched atmosphere on the day. When Judas returned to Roots Hall on New Year's Day, when David Howell seemed to challenge the North Bank by running up to us with the Brum scum before kick-off, when Keith Jones, Jonny Hunt and Jason Lee stuck three past a Brum keeper who played out of his skin to keep it respectable, when Karen Brady fled in tears as her virtue was repeatedly questioned, the memories from that day 'will echo in eternity'.

Going to be a lot of tears on the last ever game at Roots Hall. I should think 95% of our supporters have only known Roots Hall as Southend United's home. My 1st game there was almost 32 years ago. Don't know how many games I've seen there but its a hell of a lot. SO many great memories The Liverpool game, Promotion in 1978, winning the League in 2006 and beating some team from Manchester live On SKY.
Will be very hard not to be going to Roots Hall anymore but the club has to move forward.

Will be even stranger driving past when the ground just isn't there any more.

I may've only been going to The Hall for about 12 years, but... it's still home. It'll be a very sad day in May 2010, but here's to a good next two years!

Great post Joh*, a*d eve* better memories. I shall miss the old place whe* the gates fi*ally close for the last time. B*t we all have to look to the f*t*re a*d see the cl*b we all love to distractio* move o*wards & *pwards. Altho*gh we may *ot aspire to the Premiership, it wo*ld be great if the move co*ld move *s to becomi*g a* established Champio*ship cl*b.

If we ca* *se what has happe*ed at Readi*g (a cl*b that was always at this level **til 10 years or so ago) as a bl*epri*t it shows what ca* be achieved with a far thi*ki*g chairma*, board, ma*ageme*t a*d great facilities.

Last edited:
Great post Joh*, a*d eve* better memories. I shall miss the old place whe* the gates fi*ally close for the last time. B*t we all have to look to the f*t*re a*d see the cl*b we all love to distractio* move o*wards & *pwards. Altho*gh we may *ot aspire to the Premiership, it wo*ld be great if the move co*ld move *s to becomi*g a* established Champio*ship cl*b.

If we ca* *se what has happe*ed at Readi*g (a cl*b that was always at this level **til 10 years or so ago) as a bl*epri*t it shows what ca* be achieved with a far thi*ki*g chairma*, board, ma*ageme*t a*d great facilities.

I obviously have a personal issue with the letter "N"

Errrr What happened there Harry ?:unsure:

35 years and some fantastic memories. The new stadium discussions must have gone on in one form or another for 2/3rds of that time. i remember seeing a vision of the first stadium on the inside page of a programme vs Man City. Not even going to attempt to surpass John's great post but though I'll be shedding a few tears and hopefully taking a few souvenirs the future of the club now seems secure and if the new stadium is as good as a few others that I've seen, Swansea possibly the best of them, then I can't wait for the new chapter to start.

Back