• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Naming the Stadium

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Nov. 19 2004,14:44)]The Karers Arena.
The Sue Steer Memorial Stadium

I think she said something along the lines of 'over my dead body'.

Taxi!

Stanley Collymore Stadium!

That pays back the loss of the stand name to him, and think of it, all over th Beeb and what not:

Ray Stubbs: "and now we go to the Stanley Collymore Stadium where Southend are playing Yeovil, Garth Crooks reports..."

Modern times call for modern greats.

My only concern about "The Broomfield Stadium" is that it sounds rather like Blackpool's ground, "Bloomfield Road".

A rather simple solution would be, perhaps, to name it after a road nearby:

Fossett's Way
Sutton Road

However, for something a bit different, I'm quite keen on: The New Kursaal.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 23 2004,12:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 22 2004,12:17)]The New Kursaal.
Why? It's nowhere near the old Kursaal? And the old one wasn't even our first home.

rock.gif
The Kursaal is not that far away, and I just happen to like it - that's all! It's something a bit different, a bit individualistic. It's one of the things I love about the name "Roots Hall" - there's absolutely no confusing it with anywhere else in the country. The same could not, alas, be said for "Broomfield Stadium" - which sounds an awful lot like Bloomfield Road... which in turn sounded a bit like Boothferry Park, Blundell Park, Brunton Park...

Nothing sounds like Roots Hall; and nothing would sound like The New Kursaal. Our new stadium would be a new start, and so it deserves a really fresh, different name to celebrate that.

One final thought, however: if we could persuade eccentric, billionaire balloonist Steve Fossett to bung us a few quid, I'm sure I'd have absolutely no problem calling it The Fossett Stadium.

Do you think Uncle Ron should drop him a line and ask him...?!

tounge.gif

<span style='color:navy'>Dear Steve,

You may not know, but here in Southend - a town in the UK with a fine aeronautcial tradition as shown at our annual air-show - we&#39;re enormously inspired by your feats of hot air ballooning.

We are building a new stadium, and are trying to work out whether there are any figures or corporations who might like to contribute generously to its construction, in return for having the stadium named in their honour.

If you were to give us just &#036;8 million, we should be delighted to name our 20,000 all-seater stadium the Fossett Stadium in your honour.

Whaddya reckon?

Love,

Uncle Ron</span>

laugh.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 22 2004,12:17)]My only concern about &quot;The Broomfield Stadium&quot; is that it sounds rather like Blackpool&#39;s ground, &quot;Bloomfield Road&quot;.
Maybe. But I think it would be a &quot;tip of the hat&quot; to the efforts of Sid Broomfield and his small army of workers to build Roots Hall ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Nov. 23 2004,17:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 22 2004,12:17)]My only concern about &quot;The Broomfield Stadium&quot; is that it sounds rather like Blackpool&#39;s ground, &quot;Bloomfield Road&quot;.
Maybe. But I think it would be a &quot;tip of the hat&quot; to the efforts of Sid Broomfield and his small army of workers to build Roots Hall ...

WS
Indeed, Mike. Were it not for them pesky Tangerines, your campaign would have my unqualified support...

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 23 2004,17:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Nov. 23 2004,17:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 22 2004,12:17)]My only concern about "The Broomfield Stadium" is that it sounds rather like Blackpool's ground, "Bloomfield Road".
Maybe. But I think it would be a "tip of the hat" to the efforts of Sid Broomfield and his small army of workers to build Roots Hall ...

WS
Indeed, Mike.  Were it not for them pesky Tangerines, your campaign would have my unqualified support...

cool.gif
Well, if not the stadium, then certainly one of the stands, if not the MAIN stand ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Nov. 23 2004,17:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 23 2004,17:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Nov. 23 2004,17:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 22 2004,12:17)]My only concern about "The Broomfield Stadium" is that it sounds rather like Blackpool's ground, "Bloomfield Road".
Maybe. But I think it would be a "tip of the hat" to the efforts of Sid Broomfield and his small army of workers to build Roots Hall ...

WS
Indeed, Mike.  Were it not for them pesky Tangerines, your campaign would have my unqualified support...

cool.gif
Well, if not the stadium, then certainly one of the stands, if not the MAIN stand ...

WS
I agree unreservedly with that, Mike - definitely the Main stand.

Matt

How about a compromise of: &quot;Broom&quot; + &quot;Hall&quot; = Broomhall Stadium?

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Dec. 02 2004,08:45)]how about the Broomcupboard we could have bbc in all the time and Andy Peters could do the announcing&#33;&#33;

...ohh the memories
biggrin.gif
Him and Ed the Duck&#33;
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2004,13:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Dec. 02 2004,08:45)]how about the Broomcupboard we could have bbc in all the time and Andy Peters could do the announcing&#33;&#33;

...ohh the memories
biggrin.gif
Him and Ed the Duck&#33;
biggrin.gif
Might spare some unis having to put up with them....

Go for it&#33;

How about the &#39;Sid Broomfield Stadium&#39; ? You haven&#39;t got the &#39;B&#39; at the start of it and is also very individual to the man himself.

Back