• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

I obviously had a bit of time to waste on a miserable Sunday afternoon. So I've looked back over the past six years at teams who have been promoted from the National League and more so the manager who achieved that success. As National League will be totally new territory for us I feel that we need to find someone who knows that level and more importantly, how to escape from it.
MARTIN ALLEN (Barnet) He's now at Chesterfield and having a strong end to the end of the
season
DARREN CURRIE (Barnet) So near, but so far! Now with Graham Coughlan and at the Blades
with their under 23's

DARRELL CLARKE (Bristol Rovers) Now doing a very good job at Port Vale.

PAUL HURST (Grimsby) Got them promoted, left and has now returned.

GARY JOHNSON (Cheltenham) At Torquay since 2018 and doing quite well

COWLEYS (Lincoln) Little point pursuing that line of enquiry!

SCOTT BARTLETT (Forest Green) Now with Weston-Super-Mare, doesn't seem to be on the way up!

MICKY MELON (Tranmere) Now with Dundee United

JOHN ASKEY (Macclesfield) Went to Port Vale, not so successful.....recently sacked

JUSTIN EDINBURGH (Orient) So tragically sad, he could have been just what we need

GRAHAM ALEXANDER (Salford) Now manager at Motherwell.

SIMON WEAVER (Harrowgate) Still at the club

MICHAEL JOLLY (Barrow) Recently sacked, could be interesting? Where's Chipmunx
When you need him?

Don't know whether any of these would fit the bill but they certainly do have experience and success at National League level. Should we be looking for someone with John Still's head, on younger shoulders??? I know a number on here will be critical of me, being a defeatest but I don't think there is any harm in preparing for the worst.............even if, in the unlikely case, it doesn't happen

I obviously had a bit of time to waste on a miserable Sunday afternoon. So I've looked back over the past six years at teams who have been promoted from the National League and more so the manager who achieved that success. As National League will be totally new territory for us I feel that we need to find someone who knows that level and more importantly, how to escape from it.
MARTIN ALLEN (Barnet) He's now at Chesterfield and having a strong end to the end of the
season
DARREN CURRIE (Barnet) So near, but so far! Now with Graham Coughlan and at the Blades
with their under 23's

SCOTT BARTLETT (Forest Green) Now with Weston-Super-Mare, doesn't seem to be on the way up!

JOHN ASKEY (Macclesfield) Went to Port Vale, not so successful.....recently sacked

JUSTIN EDINBURGH (Orient) So tragically sad, he could have been just what we need

When you need him?

Don't know whether any of these would fit the bill but they certainly do have experience and success at National League level. Should we be looking for someone with John Still's head, on younger shoulders??? I know a number on here will be critical of me, being a defeatest but I don't think there is any harm in preparing for the worst.............even if, in the unlikely case, it doesn't happen

You're clearly smarter than the average bear, Yogi.

season
with their under 23's

When you need him?

I would hope Darren Currie may well be up there on Ron's list (assuming he actually is going to do some planning). Am sure he'd take a management job, he was close to getting the gig last time and did very well at this level with Barnet (look at them now, since he left).

I'd be happy with Coughlan too. Knows the club and did very well at Bristol Rovers, before an admittedly rather underwhelming spell at Mansfield.

I'd also be inquiring as to whether Adam Barrett is now interested, he may not be but he would have a clean slate, unlike last summer where he wisely turned the job down.

season
with their under 23's

When you need him?

IAN EVATT (Barrow) not MICHAEL JOLLEY..... - poached by Bolton (during the close season), who had to pay a rumoured £250,000 compensation to Barrow to get their man - currently has Bolton in an automatic promotion place - no point in pursuing that line of enquiry.

IAN EVATT (Barrow) not MICHAEL JOLLEY..... - poached by Bolton (during the close season), who had to pay a rumoured £250,000 compensation to Barrow to get their man - currently has Bolton in an automatic promotion place - no point in pursuing that line of enquiry.
Sorry, my mistake, Jolly came after you were promoted and didn't prove a great success! I suppose to the above list I could add Mark Cooper who guided Forest Green into the League and has just been sacked.

Sorry, my mistake, Jolly came after you were promoted and didn't prove a great success! I suppose to the above list I could add Mark Cooper who guided Forest Green into the League and has just been sacked.
Cooper sacking a funny one, they have been on a bad run of form but IMO he's been shafted a bit by them selling two of their best players, and I am sure they would have taken their current position at the start of the season.

This thread is pointless because we wont be In it!!
This is devastating news, but not entirely unexpected. Thanks for the confirmation though. I had always thought that the National League would be unlikely to accept us. I understand that they have some tough entry requirements, including the need for their members to demonstrate that they are financially stable. Clearly it would have needed creative accountancy of the very highest order for us to be able demonstrate financial stability.

So where do you think that leaves us now? Should RM instruct the club secretary or the C.E.O, to fire off applications to the Isthmian League or perhaps the Essex Senior League?

Cooper sacking a funny one, they have been on a bad run of form but IMO he's been shafted a bit by them selling two of their best players, and I am sure they would have taken their current position at the start of the season.

There's a thread on Twitter about Cooper started by Richard Joyce Media & Comms Mgr at Cheltenham Town, It doesn't a paint Cooper in a favourable light. Best avoided.

There's a thread on Twitter about Cooper started by Richard Joyce Media & Comms Mgr at Cheltenham Town, It doesn't a paint Cooper in a favourable light. Best avoided.
I am more inclined to go with his actual record on the pitch rather than a bumpkin nobody who's started a twitter thread.

IF you do go down this is probably the guy to get;-

Ade Pennock;-
Took FGR to the National League play off's in 2016 then got sacked by the crazy chairman before the play off's started.
Saved Barrow from relegation from the National League in 2017/18.

I don't think he's known as the easiest character in football, but he is generally successful, pays a lot of attention to the small details, and his teams play good football.

I don't think he's known as the easiest character in football, but he is generally successful, pays a lot of attention to the small details, and his teams play good football.

It does help that he's managed at a stable club with a generous budget. I'm not sure he's the right man for our basket case.

IF you do go down this is probably the guy to get;-

Ade Pennock;-
Took FGR to the National League play off's in 2016 then got sacked by the crazy chairman before the play off's started.
Saved Barrow from relegation from the National League in 2017/18.

Play-offs and avoiding relegation. We need someone who will win it with at least 5 games to go.

Here on Gods riviera we think big in Essex. Reach for the stars and might just make the moon.

Back