• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

I’m pretty sure much of this has been said before on this or other threads. My apologies, if so. I’m just gathering my thoughts, really.

A betting man would see us as relegated already. If the worst does happen, then, there are a number of scenarios.

There’s hope. Some clubs have returned within one or two seasons. Bristol Rovers, Carlisle, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury all secured immediate promotions in recent times. The clubs that have bounced back relatively quickly haven’t been burdened/constrained by financial difficulties, though.

We might come back stronger. There are examples of clubs whose recent non-league experience allowed them to clear out, restructure and regain the winning habit (Luton being the most obvious example, perhaps).

It might take some time. As we all know, the National League and National League North are littered with the corpses of ex-league clubs. Some have been gone five years, some ten, others fifteen… It’s beginning to look as though more than a five year stay in the NL makes it permanent for the majority of clubs. We have been warned.

It might take decades. Think of Accrington Stanley (44 years) and Barrow (48 years). Consequently, I would feel sorry for the latter if they got relegated, but please let it happen to them rather than us (not looking very likely now anyway…).

It might not happen in our lifetimes (depending on your current age, lifestyle and DNA). For many of us, the time it took Barrow and Accrington would be too long for us ever to see our club play as a league side again. I remember watching Southend play Southport… They’ve been gone for 43 years now. It could be even worse, though. Some clubs have simply disappeared (New Brighton, for example). And then there’s Gainsborough Trinity. Established in 1873 and with a proper town centre ground where they’ve played since 1884, they fell out of the football league in 1912 and currently play in the Northern Premier League… God help us.

And the club may well go bust. This has happened to numerous clubs following relegation to non-league (and our finances aren’t exactly robust, are they?). Many ex-league clubs and returnees are phoenix entities. It may well be AFC Southend that returns to League 2 in 2027/2032/2062/2122 (delete according to your level of pessimism).

It really could be a disaster, then. We do have the size of the town on our side (but PL glory hunters on the flipside of that) and the long history of the club. As the ancient Chinese curse has it - “May you live in interesting times”.
Well reasoned, but in summary you're saying anything is possible.
The trick is to recruit well for the NL.
Anybody in a squad who thinks they're too good for the league is verboten.
A target man is a must: think Ollie Palmer; John Akinde; Paul McCallum at Eastleigh.
Big support can bring advantages and pressure.
For their first game in the NL in 2019, Notts Co took 2,000 to Eastleigh, supported by around 800 home fans and lost 1-0.
Big name to be knocked over - and all that.
It's interesting that so many of the relegated change ownership after the plunge. Bristol R, Notts Co, Chesterfield and others - that ain't gonna happen here.

A target man is a must: think Ollie Palmer; John Akinde; Paul McCallum at Eastleigh.
For their first game in the NL in 2019, Notts Co took 2,000 to Eastleigh, supported by around 800 home fans and lost 1-0.
It's interesting that so many of the relegated change ownership after the plunge. Bristol R, Notts Co, Chesterfield and others - that ain't gonna happen here.

Grimsby already have the perfect target man for the NL big and strong but getting on a bit! James Hanson.

I am indeed saying it could go several different ways. But I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about it at present, given the state of the club. I'm not convinced we'll get back within five years if we go down (I hope I'm proved wrong). Staying up would be a massive reprieve but the odds are against it.

Torquay don't have much competition in terms of other league clubs on their doorsteps - just other lower division clubs, Plymouth and Exeter around 30 to 40 miles away. We have a host of London clubs in a range of divisions to compete with for fans.

I'd like to think gates wouldn't drop too much, but I wouldn't be too sure about it

Hands up who will support West Ham.

I'll wait.

Hands up who will support West Ham.

I'll wait.
If I was going to support a Premier league club. I would support more successful side than West ham. They claim to be a massive club..... but i don't see how 1 fa Cup about 40 odd years ago can justify their fans opinion! Teams like man utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, are massive clubs....... West ham do me a favour.

If I was going to support a Premier league club. I would support more successful side than West ham. They claim to be a massive club..... but i don't see how 1 fa Cup about 40 odd years ago can justify their fans opinion! Teams like man utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, are massive clubs....... West ham do me a favour.

Is it all about supporting a successful side though? If Southend never existed I'd likely have been a Spurs supporter and they win jack all. I'd actually like to think I'd support Fulham. My mum had a soft spot for them and they are a harmless family club

Is it all about supporting a successful side though? If Southend never existed I'd likely have been a Spurs supporter and they win jack all. I'd actually like to think I'd support Fulham. My mum had a soft spot for them and they are a harmless family club
That's right. It's not just about glory hunting. A fair few of our fans will have family roots back in the old East End, Boleyn Ground, Bobby Moore era etc. Especially those West of Benfleet. The ties are already there and if we become long term non-league they could get their heads turned.

That's right. It's not just about glory hunting. A fair few of our fans will have family roots back in the old East End, Boleyn Ground, Bobby Moore era etc. Especially those West of Benfleet. The ties are already there and if we become long term non-league they could get their heads turned.
Well the Boleyn is no more. I will give them credit as that was a cracking ground with a great atmosphere at times. But by all accounts the London stadium is **** for atmosphere. I just think Prem football these days is so dull and fans have no connection to the players. Non league is more old school and fun ;) .. plus no problems getting a ticket and it won’t cost you 60 quid.

Just stating my reason why West ham are not a massive club. I personally have got no issue with West ham. I do think their fans are deluded! Just me having sly dig at them ?

No of course its not about the glory.

As do Col Ewe in Nouble - well, he's a lump anyway. So, as you are sorted in that department for the NL you might as well go there :Smile:

:Smile: Frank likes to play on the wing he is certainly not a centre forward/target man even though he has the build and is not that great in the air! He is a handy player for us though and is a great character to have around.

Back