• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

How many more steps back do you want us to take ffs?
I don't want us to take any, but surely its clear that the current playing squad are not good enough at this level at the moment.

That’s beyond doubt but as a club the state the club finds itself in would make it doubly difficult to regain league status.

I don't want us to take any, but surely its clear that the current playing squad are not good enough at this level at the moment.

If you said the current playing squad under it’s current management philosophy then I would of course agree with you.

The trouble is that they are not good enough for the level below either.

Having watched a number of Orient games in the National League, I can assure you that the standard is much higher than the standard of football that we are currently producing.

Personally, I think that a decent man manager with an attacking philosophy would still have a chance of saving even this pretty threadbare squad.

Relegaton would be a disaster and, if we have no money now, where the **** will the money come from in the National League?

We’re all doomed unless there is an immediate change of management philosophy (project) or an immediate change of management as described.

#ftheproject

If you said the current playing squad under it’s current management philosophy then I would of course agree with you.

The trouble is that they are not good enough for the level below either.

Having watched a number of Orient games in the National League, I can assure you that the standard is much higher than the standard of football that we are currently producing.

Personally, I think that a decent man manager with an attacking philosophy would still have a chance of saving even this pretty threadbare squad.

Relegaton would be a disaster and, if we have no money now, where the **** will the money come from in the National League?

We’re all doomed unless there is an immediate change of management philosophy (project) or an immediate change of management as described.

#ftheproject
I am not endorsing MM's management philosophy. I/ we have to accept that the one person who can change that IS endorsing it, because if he wasn't he would surely of rolled the dice again, called Harry to see who's turn next it is on the merry-go-round.

The point I was making is if we do stay up we are more likely to keep the under performing squad together, and as it will be seen as a "success" MM as well.

I agree if we keep with the status quo and go down then yet another season of struggle is on the cards next year.

I find it hard to believe that not only the club, but many of the players are playing (I can't say fighting as there is sadly little evidence of that) for their footballing futures and yet we keep turning in abject performances with no passion, fight and sadly little or no professional pride.

If we are to go down let us go down showing some Essex bottle taking risks, getting into the oppositions faces, let them know they've been in a game and not a stroll in the park like so many times this season. I'd rather we lose 4-0 from now on having a go, and discovering/knowing we are not good enough, than the insipid efforts and inevitable wondering of if only...

Seeing that it will directly concern us next season could someone please explain something about the National League table I don't understand. On the BBC table there is a dotted line under the top place to designate the team which will be automatically promoted (Sutton, at the moment). What I don't understand is why there are dotted lines under the third placed side AND under the seventh placed side? I thought it was one automatically promoted and the next four involved in play-offs and Final for the other place

Seeing that it will directly concern us next season could someone please explain something about the National League table I don't understand. On the BBC table there is a dotted line under the top place to designate the team which will be automatically promoted (Sutton, at the moment). What I don't understand is why there are dotted lines under the third placed side AND under the seventh placed side? I thought it was one automatically promoted and the next four involved in play-offs and Final for the other place

Top get a bye. Playoffs are top 7.

4 v 7, 5 v 6. Then 2 v lowest etc

On the bright side, we will have 11 clubs on M25 area to look forward to. If we do well, I can see us taking 2k of us to like of Woking/Wealdstone etc.

The deadline for a vote of no-confidence in the National league board is today, I'm not sure I quite follow what the implications for next season will be, although I'm not sure that anyone does at the moment.

One things for sure if we go down we are joining a total basket case with a lot of in-fighting going on

We could have t-shirts printed with

‘On loan to the National League’

similar to when Forest were first relegated from the Premiership !:ROFL:

I’m pretty sure much of this has been said before on this or other threads. My apologies, if so. I’m just gathering my thoughts, really.

A betting man would see us as relegated already. If the worst does happen, then, there are a number of scenarios.

There’s hope. Some clubs have returned within one or two seasons. Bristol Rovers, Carlisle, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury all secured immediate promotions in recent times. The clubs that have bounced back relatively quickly haven’t been burdened/constrained by financial difficulties, though.

We might come back stronger. There are examples of clubs whose recent non-league experience allowed them to clear out, restructure and regain the winning habit (Luton being the most obvious example, perhaps).

It might take some time. As we all know, the National League and National League North are littered with the corpses of ex-league clubs. Some have been gone five years, some ten, others fifteen… It’s beginning to look as though more than a five year stay in the NL makes it permanent for the majority of clubs. We have been warned.

It might take decades. Think of Accrington Stanley (44 years) and Barrow (48 years). Consequently, I would feel sorry for the latter if they got relegated, but please let it happen to them rather than us (not looking very likely now anyway…).

It might not happen in our lifetimes (depending on your current age, lifestyle and DNA). For many of us, the time it took Barrow and Accrington would be too long for us ever to see our club play as a league side again. I remember watching Southend play Southport… They’ve been gone for 43 years now. It could be even worse, though. Some clubs have simply disappeared (New Brighton, for example). And then there’s Gainsborough Trinity. Established in 1873 and with a proper town centre ground where they’ve played since 1884, they fell out of the football league in 1912 and currently play in the Northern Premier League… God help us.

And the club may well go bust. This has happened to numerous clubs following relegation to non-league (and our finances aren’t exactly robust, are they?). Many ex-league clubs and returnees are phoenix entities. It may well be AFC Southend that returns to League 2 in 2027/2032/2062/2122 (delete according to your level of pessimism).

It really could be a disaster, then. We do have the size of the town on our side (but PL glory hunters on the flipside of that) and the long history of the club. As the ancient Chinese curse has it - “May you live in interesting times”.

Back