• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

I don’t know how comfortable I am with this. On one hand I still believe that should we finish in the bottom two then we absolutely deserve to lose our football league status but on the other, how can we drop down in to a league and be replaced with a team where the integrity of the league is somewhat ruined. With no relegation from the NL and one team all but pulled out, the league is a right mess.

If teams in the National league refuse to fulfill fixtures they is no way there can be promotion and relegation. What if the team at the top were due to play 4 of those teams not fulfilling fixtures but 2nd and 3rd were only due to play 1 of them. Do you get 3 points for a walk over? In that case the top team get 12 points for free but 2nd and 3rd only get 3 points free. Its a complete farce

If teams in the National league refuse to fulfill fixtures they is no way there can be promotion and relegation. What if the team at the top were due to play 4 of those teams not fulfilling fixtures but 2nd and 3rd were only due to play 1 of them. Do you get 3 points for a walk over? In that case the top team get 12 points for free but 2nd and 3rd only get 3 points free. Its a complete farce

When Dover depart from the National League, which seems inevitable, having played only 15 matches, I imagine the results of those matches will be expunged from the records - benefitting slightly Notts County, Eastleigh and Barnet and even more slightly Boreham Wood.

The situation which you have decided is "a complete farce" hasn't occurred yet and is, I think, unlikely to.

No, we're going to have to do it on our own - the way it should be. And I think we can.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering how the seven who voted against are surviving?
I suppose a reccy would provide the answer, but the money had run out at places like Wealdstone a month ago.
As for Dover, if they are kicked out, I'd like to see whether they mount a legal challenge.

Well Kings Lynn, who were probably looking most vulnerable after Dover, placed 6 players on furlough, but are enjoying their best spell of the season - even though they had a 50 year old on the bench for their excellent point at Notts County a couple of days ago.

When Dover depart from the National League, which seems inevitable, having played only 15 matches, I imagine the results of those matches will be expunged from the records - benefitting slightly Notts County, Eastleigh and Barnet and even more slightly Boreham Wood.

The situation which you have decided is "a complete farce" hasn't occurred yet and is, I think, unlikely to.

No, we're going to have to do it on our own - the way it should be.

I was only imagining a scenario, never said it was or will be an actual thing. I have no idea how it will play out. Dovers results can be expunged but what about the other teams that possibly won't complete the season?

I was only imagining a scenario, never said it was or will be an actual thing. I have no idea how it will play out. Dovers results can be expunged but what about the other teams that possibly won't complete the season?

"It's a complete farce" sounds pretty "here and now"-ish to me.

While I don't think for a minute there will be no relegation from the EFL this year, the farce of the National League situation is unlikely to be confined to this season. There's hints of punishments being carried over for clubs that don't fulfil fixtures, lots of clubs that do carry on will be saddled with debt, the whole thing could be very messy for a couple of years.

We're going to have to get ourselves out of this without any help, and considering the league table on 4 December had us eight points adrift of 22nd place, I believe we now have the manager and the squad to get ourselves out of this.

While I don't think for a minute there will be no relegation from the EFL this year, the farce of the National League situation is unlikely to be confined to this season. There's hints of punishments being carried over for clubs that don't fulfil fixtures, lots of clubs that do carry on will be saddled with debt, the whole thing could be very messy for a couple of years.

We're going to have to get ourselves out of this without any help, and considering the league table on 4 December had us eight points adrift of 22nd place, I believe we now have the manager and the squad to get ourselves out of this.

You’re always a voice of reason Jai but we need to start scoring more goals.

I really hope you’re right.......

You’re always a voice of reason Jai but we need to start scoring more goals.

I really hope you’re right.......
It's a myth we need to START scoring MORE goals...we don't we just need to continue what we've been doing in the last 16 odd games...if the league started in December we'd be a top 10 side now or v close to it.
If we carry this form (which is a 16 odd game form!) into the last 14 games that'll be another 18 points...5 wins, 3 draws 6 loses
46 points will be enough surely?

I don't really get all the negativity (not necessarily from you mfurok but in general) - we actually have a chance of not getting relegated - something we should be celebrating as pre-December it looked all but impossible

It's a myth we need to START scoring MORE goals...we don't we just need to continue what we've been doing in the last 16 odd games...if the league started in December we'd be a top 10 side now or v close to it.
If we carry this form (which is a 16 odd game form!) into the last 14 games that'll be another 18 points...5 wins, 3 draws 6 loses

I don't really get all the negativity (not necessarily from you mfurok but in general) - we actually have a chance of not getting relegated - something we should be celebrating as pre-December it looked all but impossible

Take your point GDM but we gave everybody else far too big a start.....and I much prefer the beautiful game.......RIP Phil Chisnall.

I don't think we should be celebrating that we might not get relegated. We can save the celebration for when we haven't been relegated. However much we've improved recently it's still important to bear in mind that we're still de-facto bottom.

As it happens I think we've given ourselves a good chance of survival, but we have to actually make that a reality before we can celebrate anything.

If teams refuse to play then the opposition will be awarded the win. Seem a farce to me but that's the only way they can complete to the season.

We've played 18 games since the start of December. I can't be asked to work out a table on that but based on the last 15 we would be 19th with 16 points, 11 goals and a GD of -6. We'd failed to score in 7 of those games..

Not quite top 10

If teams refuse to play then the opposition will be awarded the win. Seem a farce to me but that's the only way they can complete to the season.

In kids football, when a team folds, all results of that team are null and void, so if you beat them you lose the 3 points.

I have maximum sympathy for the likes of Dover et al.. half of football clubs are f..ked with debt .. when the government makes it illegal to access you main source of revenue, but the league insists you play what can you do.. oh look here is a load of debt you can take on.. never mind the future of your club. Just get those games played .
There are myriad stories of dodgy owners leveraging football clubs but when reputable owners refuse they get kicked out of the league.

Boreham Wood chairman says he feels they've been misled about the loans as they find that they're actually ineligible...

Boreham Wood chairman says he feels they've been misled about the loans as they find that they're actually ineligible...

That's a really interesting development, the clubs that self financed through to the end of the season may not be eligible for loans, I wonder how many of them will look to null and void when it becomes clear that they have no chance of being promoted?

Enough games have now been played by NL clubs for the league to be ended now and the final league table to be calculated on an average points per game like last season.

Looking ahead to next season a 23 team league would mean a loss of 1 games revenue in a normal season for the NL, so is there a possibility that only 1 team might be relegated from our league?

Back