• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Contracts

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 20 2005,16:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 20 2005,15:06)]I wonder what the situation is with Cheese, Jay Smith and Duddfield.

rock.gif
and Nicky Nic - rejected first offer but haven't heard anything since.
Thanks. I had a niggling feeling I forgot someone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 20 2005,15:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 20 2005,15:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 20 2005,15:06)]I wonder what the situation is with Cheese, Jay Smith and Duddfield.

rock.gif
still in Malia living it up I think.
Where the bloomin heck is Malia (I fear I'm giving my age away with this question
biggrin.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 20 2005,19:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 20 2005,15:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 20 2005,15:40)]
[b said:

rock.gif
still in Malia living it up I think.
Where the bloomin heck is Malia (I fear I'm giving my age away with this question  
biggrin.gif
)
It's North, by Lapland.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 20 2005,18:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 20 2005,16:40)]
[b said:

rock.gif
Thanks. I had a niggling feeling I forgot someone.
He wouldn't be a loss if he went anyways. He'd be forgotten pretty soon after he left anyways.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 20 2005,17:02)]Agreed, I think we've all said it before, if Smith walks out on us 'cause another team is offering him a few quid more then if he ever came to the Hall again he would deservedly recieve one of the most hostile reactions possible.
I'm just a bit worried that we've heard nothing from him at all, whereas everyone else who's been offered have accepted / rejected / renegotiated theirs. I would have thought there'd have been some word by now!
Too right, and to be honest I can see it happening.

Bristol Rovers at home in the 1st Round of the FA Cup, that would be lovely!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 20 2005,17:02)]Agreed, I think we've all said it before, if Smith walks out on us 'cause another team is offering him a few quid more then if he ever came to the Hall again he would deservedly recieve one of the most hostile reactions possible.
I'm just a bit worried that we've heard nothing from him at all, whereas everyone else who's been offered have accepted / rejected / renegotiated theirs. I would have thought there'd have been some word by now!

We have done OK without Jay this season and I think he would struggle to earn himself a place in the starting lineup if he is here next season.

Long term injuries are part of professional football. Southend offered Smith a contract for the season and he took it. It isn't his fault he suffered a relapse and has been unable to play this season. At the end of his contract he is free to do what he likes.

We don't know what sort of contract Southend have  offered Jay for next season. If Bristol Rovers can offer him more money and first team football then I won't blame him for leaving.

I'd do exactly the same thing. Anyone that thinks differently is either still at school, isn't paying for the roof over their head or simply looks at life with SUFC tinted specs on.

*IF* Jay leaves then he has let no one down. Southend United are not a benevolent fund and if Tilson had known Jay would be injured for the whole season there is no way he would have been offered a contract last year in the first place.

Think I'm with Whatever on this one. The club and the fans have given Jay tremendous support over his time at the club and I think the disappointment of him leaving would turn in to resentment.

Fair enough, the club know what he can do and have an interest in keeping him signed but then, it won't be the club booing him, it'll be the fans that stood by him through a series of horrific injuries.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ June 21 2005,10:50)]Think I'm with Whatever on this one.  The club and the fans have given Jay tremendous support over his time at the club and I think the disappointment of him leaving would turn in to resentment.

Fair enough, the club know what he can do and have an interest in keeping him signed but then, it won't be the club booing him, it'll be the fans that stood by him through a series of horrific injuries.
Agreed, I would HOPE Jay would do the right thing, but if he doesn't he deserves some stick on any potential return. You have to ask yourself how many clubs would stand by a player whose been injured for nearly 2 years, twice offering him one-year extensions whilst he was recovering from serious injury? For him to then walk out when he's finally fit having taken what must be at least £40k from the club without kicking a ball isn't right IMHO.
mad.gif

Come on Jay, do the (only) decent thing and sign up. With Benno suspended for the first 3 games you could get the chance to walk straight back into the side anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ June 21 2005,10:59)]With Benno suspended for the first 3 games
According to what? He "only" got 14 yellows last season... so there's no suspension so far as I know. On what basis do you think he's suspended?

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 21 2005,11:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ June 21 2005,10:59)]With Benno suspended for the first 3 games
According to what?  He "only" got 14 yellows last season... so there's no suspension so far as I know.  On what basis do you think he's suspended?

rock.gif

Matt
Oh god not this debate again
biggrin.gif

IIRC last time it was never cleared up conclusively one way or the other - but those proposing 15 yellows seemed to be the majority...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 21 2005,11:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 21 2005,11:19)]those proposing 15 yellows seemed to be the majority...
Did they?

rock.gif

OK, so which game have soccerbase missed off, then...?

Mark Bentley

rock.gif

Matt
OoooOOOOOOoooooohhh!!

Someone's getting their panties in a bunch this morning!
laugh.gif

You plank
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

In confirmation of that, TLG have also got him down as having received 14 yellow and one red:

TLG - Mark Bentley

He's also not on the FA's list of players awaiting suspension:

FA List of Players with pending suspensions

Well, glad to have cleared this one up.  Just for a change, the supposed majority are incorrect.  Beno is not suspended for the first three games next season.

unclesam.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 21 2005,11:27)]OoooOOOOOOoooooohhh!!

Hmm, thought your innuendo that the 15-yellow crew were in the right was a tad more plank-ish...

suspect.gif

So ner!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 21 2005,11:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 21 2005,11:27)]OoooOOOOOOoooooohhh!!

Hmm, thought your innuendo that the 15-yellow crew were in the right was a tad more plank-ish...

suspect.gif

So ner!

tounge.gif
Where was the innuendo in my post about 15 yellows??
rock.gif

I didnt see any indirect or derogatory implications - I ujst said that from memory more people thought he'd got 15 yellows last time... seems straightforward to me!

Plank!!
laugh.gif

Back