• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Poster and Next Season

After having read this site for what seems like eternity I have picked up the courage to join the shrimpers family.

I wanted start my thread by getting opinions on the shape of our team in regard to next season depending on whether we go up or stay in league one.

If we fail in the play offs then we have to look at the postives in regard to that we ended season very well which should put us in a good postion for next season. This occured with playing a consistent team. However players wise I don't think too much needs to be done. Our young players will be another year older and all i can think of is a winger (Tommy Black is a little too lazy for my liking and Scannel is raw) and a strong Centre half. I hope to keep Mulgrew. Up front with Barney and Walker with Revell and a goal scoring Hoops it look good enough.

However if we went up then a few changes may be needed. First and foremost the Club, Tilly and the players will know what to expect this time around. However much i like Flav and that he did a good job for us last year, a goalkeeper may be on my shopping list. If Cerny goes QPR i would not say no to Camp or perhaps Price from Derby. I think Franco and Mulgrew (i hope) will be solid enough but another centre enough with real presence will be needed. Again in regard to the comment above a talented winger (perhaps on loan - Arsenal always produce good kids). Up front I think we will need an experience head to lead our line like Goater did a few years back.

What do others think?

I'd like a new CB if we go up or not.

If we go up, i think we do need an experienced front man, maybe not always to play all the time but just to have his presence around the club would be good

You spot on about the GK position yes flavs is a legend but not good enough for the CCC, two new midfielders centre and wing(even if we stay down), the forward line up of walker, barney, Revell and a flourishing hooper would possibly be good enough for the ccc, and that big dominating CB would be nice, welcome to the Zone BTW

Great 1st post & I think you've got that pretty much spot on there.

If we do fail in the playoffs (& lets face facts purely in probability terms we've got more chance of failing that winning them) I hope we can build on the successful season we've had and be challenging next season too.

I see us going more down the Swansea/Forest route rather than a Yeovil one.
As I've said before, it would be awful to move into FF after a relegation season (like Col U will have to suffer next season). I say consolidation in L1 for another year (even with a successful promotion push & a better chance of staying up in CCC) won't be such a bad thing.

You spot on about the GK position yes flavs is a legend but not good enough for the CCC, two new midfielders centre and wing(even if we stay down), the forward line up of walker, barney, Revell and a flourishing hooper would possibly be good enough for the ccc, and that big dominating CB would be nice, welcome to the Zone BTW

More crap, Flavs aint good enough bur Revell is. Give him a chance and all that rubbish but he is maginally better than Harrold!

Welcome mate, pretty much agree with what your saying. Just put in my first season on the zone after supporting the blues for 16 years, must say never knew so many people cared about the Shrimpers. Welcome to the family......oh and wiggy.

Back