• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Doesn’t really help the squad for Saturday if we don’t make any of them.

Yep agreed, Sheff UTD went quietly about taking Leonard over a 6 month period...
All the publicity came from our side, not theirs. We could have kept it quiet but chose to publicise it. Martin and Brown both think talking about something is the same as doing it.

hows about Darren Bent as one - rumoured to be off to Burton on loan? he must be less than 40.

seriously, Agree with others that these players are unlikely to be first teamers at their current clubs. As such I hope they are youngsters with potential rather than old pro’s on the way down. A couple of loans would be nice to get us through to the summer.

All the publicity came from our side, not theirs. We could have kept it quiet but chose to publicise it. Martin and Brown both think talking about something is the same as doing it.

Was it? I thought Wilder was pretty public about making Leonard his main transfer target in the Summer.

hows about Darren Bent as one - rumoured to be off to Burton on loan? he must be less than 40.

seriously, Agree with others that these players are unlikely to be first teamers at their current clubs. As such I hope they are youngsters with potential rather than old pro’s on the way down. A couple of loans would be nice to get us through to the summer.

Surely this goes wothout saying. Southend United are not going to tempt a first championship player to sign for a low league mid table team.

So it’ll be one of two things:

- An older player with proven quality a year or two back not getting enough game time willing to drop wages and drop down
- A younger player with unproven quality struggling to breakthrough into the team. Willing to sign on loan or drop wages (likely still) to get first team football. Unproven but potential (think Luke O’Neil or Stephen Hendrie)

Hard life being a football manager/Chairman aye

Not true that though is it...

Other clubs seem to quietly get on with signing new players whereas we always seem to make a meal of it with meaningless pre-announcements of intentions, waiting for the phone call etc. Just do it Ron, then tell us about it when it's done. This should all have been teed up ages ago anyway.

Can you imagine the furore on here if no news was given out:facepalm:

“But we are motivated to change our form and I am confident we will.”

In order to change our form i still think we need to change our formation.

The rigid 4-4-2 with never any change or plan B when it doesnt work is one of my biggest criticisms of our current manager. :nope:

i'm expecting to hear nothing concrete until 31st January about 10.50pm when we unveil our saviour Billy Paynter :thumbdown:

Other clubs seem to quietly get on with signing new players whereas we always seem to make a meal of it with meaningless pre-announcements of intentions, waiting for the phone call etc. Just do it Ron, then tell us about it when it's done. This should all have been teed up ages ago anyway.

I'm not sure that's the case, actually. We know our club, warts and all, and are constantly looking out for news. Therefore we are acutely aware of when it isn't forthcoming.

I doubt anyone monitors any other L1 or L2 club with the same level of scrutiny... I'll wager that several clubs are in a similar position to us.

Probably Championship players who have been out of favour since August. They would rather be in the first team in Division One. Nothing wrong in trying to sign this type of player.

Probably Championship players who have been out of favour since August. They would rather be in the first team in Division One. Nothing wrong in trying to sign this type of player.

We possibly have an advantage in that aspect to clubs above us in the table, players looking to be a first team regular may figure that it will be easier to break into the first eleven of a side that's struggling than one that is winning on a consistent basis.

Exactly, Northampton Town have done some good, understated business this week.

Think we are in a catch 22 situation here .... We have cash from the sale of Lenny but do you give that cash to Phil now knowing he is out of contract in the summer ? We know he has tried to link himself with various other jobs this year and could walk away from us even to work in the media if he wants to .

The first question any half decent agent of any player we are set to target now would ask is are you going to be here next season and beyond Mr Brown as a new manager may well not see the player as you and I do ... and as I understand Phil could not say that he will be at present that could hinder any signings and or stop them from signing for us

It is a big call for the chairman and a massive gamble Is it best to save the money for maybe a new manager to start a complete rebuild with more better quality available players in the summer transfer window and write off this season or do we sign players now hope they fit in straight away and Phil agrees a new contract spending what we have ....

Not an easy one for Ron .. lets hope he gets it right

Yet another article where it has been RM talking about targets and not PB. Has he lost faith?

Back