• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am not sure its such a big call. Ron's firm expectation will be that PB turns it around and probably his planning assumption is he will sign a new contract. So probably he is not as bothered as you imagine by pursuing PB's transfer targets.

I suspect his view will be however if we are going to bring people in we need people who are proven and we absolutely believe will make a difference- and that we would want if we were buying/signing in the coming summer and not just now.

Someone coming down from the Championship will quite possibly be less of a risk than getting someone from L2 or lower- and if they are going to get a longer term contract someone capable at least of playing in the Championship is a plus.

At least one of the midfielders was a loan with a view to a permanent- that might apply to one or two of the others? The problem is not really the fee its wages, that were the lions share of the cost is.

Yet another article where it has been RM talking about targets and not PB. Has he lost faith?

No..
PB tells CP the discussion with RM yesterday were very good, very productive. And now RM is talking about actively pursuing 4 target in the Championship. So I would suggest it all says he is here to stay...nothing to see here, please move on..

Think we are in a catch 22 situation here .... We have cash from the sale of Lenny but do you give that cash to Phil now knowing he is out of contract in the summer ? We know he has tried to link himself with various other jobs this year and could walk away from us even to work in the media if he wants to .

The first question any half decent agent of any player we are set to target now would ask is are you going to be here next season and beyond Mr Brown as a new manager may well not see the player as you and I do ... and as I understand Phil could not say that he will be at present that could hinder any signings and or stop them from signing for us

It is a big call for the chairman and a massive gamble Is it best to save the money for maybe a new manager to start a complete rebuild with more better quality available players in the summer transfer window and write off this season or do we sign players now hope they fit in straight away and Phil agrees a new contract spending what we have ....

Not an easy one for Ron .. lets hope he gets it right

When you say "write off this season", run me past what you actually mean, please.

No..
PB tells CP the discussion with RM yesterday were very good, very productive. And now RM is talking about actively pursuing 4 target in the Championship. So I would suggest it all says he is here to stay...nothing to see here, please move on..

Suggest, so that's an assumption and your opinion not fact!

There is something to see here, it feels like Ron has lost faith and that's all I was bringing up. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it can't be discussed.

I don't think RM has lost faith, because if he had he would have put PB on gardening leave.

I'd still say he's going to review at the end of the month.

RM would definitely act if results don't improve over the next 5-6 games.

I don't think RM has lost faith, because if he had he would have put PB on gardening leave.

But looking at it the other way, the club would surely have extended Browns contract if he was staying, because it would give him authority with the players.

Yep, but there is the middle ground, where we are now, that RM hasn't lost faith in PB, but isn't in a position to be 100% sure he is the right guy going forward.

How does that make any sense Andy? Give the guy carte-blanche to bring in his players over the next three weeks, and then get rid if the results don't improve? It pains me to say it, but he ain't going nowhere now until his contract runs out.
For whatever reason, possibly to do with the share issue, Ron has now made his bed and will have to lie in it. I think if Ron is a "half glass full" man with regards to the Fossetts Farm development, his glass is positively overflowing when he evaluates the remainder of the season. I hope I am wrong but the ingredients are all there for a train crash of a season and RM is either too blind to see it, or too proud to admit failure. Sound familiar?

Why does it not make sense?

RM gives PB the chance to get some players in and turn it around, but say we lose the next 6 games on the trot, can you see RM sticking with PB regardless. I certainly can't.

My point is that at this precise moment, RM still has faith in PB turning it around, but his view could easily change as the weeks progress.

If he thinks we are going down, I'm damn sure he'll put PB on leave.

RM gives PB the chance to get some players in and turn it around, but say we lose the next 6 games on the trot, can you see RM sticking with PB regardless. I certainly can't.

My point is that at this precise moment, RM still has faith in PB turning it around, but his view could easily change as the weeks progress.

To me the whole thing looks suss due to the timing. Yes, if this meeting had happened when it should have done, namely after Bristol Rovers away on Dec 9th, then give Brown 5 or 6 games and then make a decision, which would be about now. Time then if results were bad,to get a new manager in to coincide with the transfer window etc etc.
I can't somehow visualise Martin giving money to Brown at the moment, IF he is half-thinking that this time next month he could be showing him the door.
Plus it is a far less attractive proposition to bring someone in who would have no scope to change the squad around after the window has closed.

And before anyone thinks things hadn't started to go pear shaped back at the beginning of December, I first felt we could be in a relegation battle after our disgusting, spineless performance at Yeovil on November 4th.

Agreed on the money situation, but if a couple of decent players are identified and brought in, a new/caretaker manager could still work with them. Often when a manager is put on leave, someone already at the club takes over, like Richie Wellens at Oldham, so would already have had some knowledge of who had been brought in. The obvious choice would be Kevin Maher stepping up to caretake. So I don't think bringing a couple of players in would necessarily suggest RM is sticking with PB through to the end.

On the Bristol Rovers match, it was a poor performance but at that time we were 9th before the match and unbeaten at home, so hardly a major cause for concern for RM, but as each poor away performance follows the next and we slide down the table, RM has had to sit up and take notice, hence where we are now with meetings and the culling of Nile Ranger.

There's obviously clear issues at the club. Whether the players are onside with PB is the main one, because if they are, we have the quality to stay up.

Saturday's match will be a great pointer as to where this is all heading, for me.

Agreed on the money situation, but if a couple of decent players are identified and brought in, a new/caretaker manager could still work with them. Often when a manager is put on leave, someone already at the club takes over, like Richie Wellens at Oldham, so would already have had some knowledge of who had been brought in. The obvious choice would be Kevin Maher stepping up to caretake. So I don't think bringing a couple of players in would necessarily suggest RM is sticking with PB through to the end.

On the Bristol Rovers match, it was a poor performance but at that time we were 9th before the match and unbeaten at home, so hardly a major cause for concern for RM, but as each poor away performance follows the next and we slide down the table, RM has had to sit up and take notice, hence where we are now with meetings and the culling of Nile Ranger.

There's obviously clear issues at the club. Whether the players are onside with PB is the main one, because if they are, we have the quality to stay up.

Saturday's match will be a great pointer as to where this is all heading, for me.

We have the quality to stay up? I am really not so sure, I haven't seen any 'quality' all season, other than a couple of good 45's, we have a lot of players living on past pedigree. It is all about the here and now, and right now without new players, we do not have the 'quality' to stay up, in my humble opinion...

We have the quality of player to stay up, I feel.

Whether we'll get the quality of performance is down to those players and the manager.

Ron should hold on to his wallet - PB has splurged too much already on individuals who have underwhelmed us for one reason or another. He needs to get the most out of the team he has acquired instead of spending more money we don't have.

The next incoming member of personnel I want to see is a "First Team Manager"

How long do you leave it? If it gets the the point it looks like we may end up going down, it doesn't give another manager much time to get us out of the hole Brown has got us into

Back