• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Something to do with the front page, as my evening was taken up being a luuvee
cool.gif

Starts this week!

As reported in Friday's match programme, Southend Radio is finally due to start broadcasting after an incredibly long two years since the award of their licence.

They go on air at 8.00am this Friday!!

They do not have rights for live commentaries of Shrimpers' matches, but they will have live reports from every game, home and away, and "breaking news of the Blues as it happens".

If you want to tune your radios in already, they are currently broadcasting sounds of the sea and can be found on 105.1FM.

;)

Finally they will be on air...

We'll be tapping them up for a little "plugging" of The Blue Voice that's for sure..

Good work Southampton - I had a word with one of their PR girls in the highstreet about it yesterday.
Here's what I posted on their Facebook group and their response:

You wrote
on Mar 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
I sent an email to the Southend Radio team back in late 2006...with no reply :(
Just want to know what sort of coverage the station will be giving to our very own Blues? Hopefully a lot of news and features, though it couldn't be much worse than the claret-and-blue tinted rubbish on Essex FM!

Mike Porter (GCap Media) wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
the station is a southend station so the coverage for southenmd united will be good

Good work Southampton - I had a word with one of their PR girls in the highstreet about it yesterday.
Here's what I posted on their Facebook group and their response:

You wrote
on Mar 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
I sent an email to the Southend Radio team back in late 2006...with no reply :(
Just want to know what sort of coverage the station will be giving to our very own Blues? Hopefully a lot of news and features, though it couldn't be much worse than the claret-and-blue tinted rubbish on Essex FM!

Mike Porter (GCap Media) wrote
on Mar 4, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
the station is a southend station so the coverage for southenmd united will be good

If they are anything like Essex FM and worship the Hamsters, I won't be impressed.

theres always cover required ....Im hoping to have someone cover me on the 25th may !!?!! by the way shameless plug but if you are online tonight around 8pm feel free to tune in www.harboroughfm.co.uk :)

Dave from Essex not quite david essex

If they are anything like Essex FM and worship the Hamsters, I won't be impressed.

I would have thought that a radio station called Radio Southend would have absolutely nothing to do with anything west of the border at progress road. If they tried to support any club outside of the boundary, they want a right royal boot up the nether regions!!!!! Perhaps we should make sure we stay on their case about this.

Quite agree BBC ESSEX is superb

They'll have to wait a bit before they can do that because the BBC has the radio rights to the football league so unless they purchase the rights from the BBC to broadcast the games then it anit gonna happen.

You can't beat BBC ESSEX .
Long established ,great commentaries ,Paul Clark is different class ,great commentators apart from the hartlepool bloke that does the Col U games .

Long established ,great commentaries ,Paul Clark is different class ,great commentators apart from the hartlepool bloke that does the Col U games .

People used to say that about the BBC and ITV television coverage, then along came SKY and now coverage is leap years ahead of poor old auntie beeb and itv. You never know Radio Southend might do a better job given the chance.....

Signs look good for general coverage and promotion of the town's team:

Southend Radio ready to go

Tuesday 18 March 2008: Southend-on-Sea's new local radio station will launch on Friday 28th March at 8am, RadioToday.co.uk can reveal. Southend Radio was part-owned by Tindle when they won a licence in April 2006.

Since then, Tindle Radio has withdrawn support for the station and is now operating independently.

Located at purpose built studios in a brand new building on the seafront at Adventure Island, Southend Radio will concentrate on local news and live football reports from Southend United, as well as playing Just Great Songs, as their strapline suggests.

Station Director Sue Wood says “This is an exciting time for everybody involved, the team is so enthusiastic about finally getting the station on air. We’re looking forward to developing strong ties with the local business community, and we want our listeners to feel that this is their radio station.”

The programme controller is drivetime presenter James O’Neill. He says Southend Radio 105.1 will be truly local: "At this time of change for the radio industry, this station is proud to boast live, local content through the day, every day. Our presenters all know Southend, love Southend, and we’ll be talking about the issues that matter to our listeners."

http://www.radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.3177.17

Last edited:
They'll have to wait a bit before they can do that because the BBC has the radio rights to the football league so unless they purchase the rights from the BBC to broadcast the games then it anit gonna happen.

I don't think the radio rights are quite as exclusive as the TV rights are - certainly, down here there are two stations offering commentaries on Saints games, the local BBC one and a local private one. I think there even used to be three stations doing it at one time. So I think that Southend Radio could go for live commentaries sooner rather than later, but I would imagine it's a financial thing. As a new station just starting out, they would probably not want to commit money to paying for rights when it would be far cheaper for them just to have live reports. Whether they may change their mind in the future remains to be seen.....

Yes, BBC Essex does give good coverage, but it can be beaten. Why does it give commentaries only on away games? Other BBC local radio stations have commentaries on all games. For example, BBC Radio Solent has three teams in its patch - Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth - and it has live commentary from every single game played by all three clubs.

Yes, BBC Essex does give good coverage, but it can be beaten. Why does it give commentaries only on away games? Other BBC local radio stations have commentaries on all games. For example, BBC Radio Solent has three teams in its patch - Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth - and it has live commentary from every single game played by all three clubs.

I can answer that as my dad asked them when they were at the airshow a last year (or could have been year before) why they don't do home game sfor mum to listen to and not col ewe and they said that tilly wants as many as poss at RH instead of at home listening to it on the radio

Back