• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dont shoot the messenger. Been told Weston Homes are building on Roots Hall next year and we are ground sharing (i dont even want to begin thinking about who with) but never mind what i've been told, it probably wont happen for another 15 yrs. To think i shook Ron's hand outside the Rayleigh offices that night to congratulate him after umpteen years of Southend council refusing every plan given to them..

Dont shoot the messenger. Been told Weston Homes are building on Roots Hall next year and we are ground sharing (i dont even want to begin thinking about who with) but never mind what i've been told, it probably wont happen for another 15 yrs. To think i shook Ron's hand outside the Rayleigh offices that night to congratulate him after umpteen years of Southend council refusing every plan given to them..
Right... so who would we ground share with? Colchester? Dagenham & Redbridge? No other grounds within an hours drive of Roots Hall. Believe it when I see it, much like Fossets Farm!

Where did you hear that from????

Evening Shrimpers. Anyone know why Ron Martin just doesn't put the club up for sale? Even Morecambe found a buyer recently (I know they own their ground and probably don't have debts but they have a lot less potential than Southend).
Ron must be into his early 60s and if the new ground is his pension pot then he must come to the point soon where even he must think this is never going to happen and decide to take the best deal he can and stroll off into the sunset

Right... so who would we ground share with? Colchester? Dagenham & Redbridge? No other grounds within an hours drive of Roots Hall. Believe it when I see it, much like Fossets Farm!

I can't bring myself to type it, but its the first option you mention is what i was told. Its a mate of a mate thats all, i wouldnt disbelieve my mate BUT like i say, we've all heard these things before and i'll believe it if it happens.

Two things make me sceptical.

Currently there's a covenant on Roots Hall that states there has to be a home for Southend United within the borough before that land can be built on.

No planning application for either site has been submitted, and I am pretty confident the council would not let this through without planning consent for FF. Which also is not forthcoming.

I can't bring myself to type it, but its the first option you mention is what i was told. Its a mate of a mate thats all, i wouldnt disbelieve my mate BUT like i say, we've all heard these things before and i'll believe it if it happens.

I think your mate or your mate's mate was pulling your plonker.

I have one of those 'a work colleague's brother works at Weston Homes' type connections. In fact a work colleague's brother DOES work at Weston Homes. Not sure what he'll know or what he'd admit to knowing if its hush hush, but I will make enquiries & see in any info is forthcoming, one way or the other. Might take a day or so to get any feedback.

I'd rather play at Priory Park than have to go to Colchester for a bloody home game!
If we do go for ground sharing it will really show just how desperate we are getting!

Ok not shooting the messenger but you do really need to consider what that rumour is suggesting, building work is only months away.

There has been no planning permission applied for let alone agreed.
Even if we submitted the plans today it would be well over a year before anything was agreed, and there is no sign that submission is anywhere near happening.

Mates of mates never the best sources I am afraid.

Weston Homes bought prospects a couple of months ago, I would imagine that the story hasbeen extrapolated from that fact , and probably into the realm of the slightly incorrect...

As Jam mentions, there is no planning permission for anything, be that at RH or FF. So building on either is a million miles away from happening. Certainly not next year unless something happens asap that hasn't happened in the last decade. I am still told that BL have pulled the plug on their part of the proposal, which I think was the retail side of the FF development. Without that I cannot see Ron being able to proceed with development as is. So yet another change of tactic required from him and many more months of silence to come.

At what point does a man have to hold his hands up and say the dream has gone?.....I appreciate this is his retirement fund, but I for one am not comfortable with our club being saddled with more and more debt (£14m+ on the last accounts) for him to chase the impossible dream. It is time to move aside and let someone with the means to deliver take on the project and the club in general. All we are doing at the moment is stagnating and accumulating eye watering debt. He needs to place the club up for sale, cut his losses and hopefully allow the club to move forward financially. I pray this happens soon, before we get into more strife off the pitch that we won't be able to wriggle out of this time.

I expect the usual comments of "Who will buy the club"......well let's see what happens if Ron actively seeks a buyer. I can guarantee you there will be plenty of interest, should Ron's terms be sensible. RH & FF are potential planning goldmines, the queue will be a mile long without doubt. Will any interested party be better placed to deliver?...who knows, but I think Ron has had plenty of time to see this through and has failed miserably, whilst countless other clubs have entered plans years after ours and have been playing in their new stadiums for a number of seasons already!.

Time for change, new ownership, new money and fresh optimism around the place. I want my club back.

I expect the usual comments of "Who will buy the club"......well let's see what happens if Ron actively seeks a buyer. I can guarantee you there will be plenty of interest, should Ron's terms be sensible. RH & FF are potential planning goldmines, the queue will be a mile long without doubt. Will any interested party be better placed to deliver?...who knows, but I think Ron has had plenty of time to see this through and has failed miserably, whilst countless other clubs have entered plans years after ours and have been playing in their new stadiums for a number of seasons already!.

Time for change, new ownership, new money and fresh optimism around the place. I want my club back.

I'm not going to ask "who will buy" as I agree with you that there would be big interest. The bit in all of this which I have never understood is why Ron doesn't call it a day. If BL have walked then his latest source of financial muscle has also gone. He's not a stupid man so why hasn't he just upped and walked himself? It's the continuing silence which still makes me think he might yet make something happen. I really can't see any other reason for his continued ownership.

I'm not going to ask "who will buy" as I agree with you that there would be big interest. The bit in all of this which I have never understood is why Ron doesn't call it a day. If BL have walked then his latest source of financial muscle has also gone. He's not a stupid man so why hasn't he just upped and walked himself? It's the continuing silence which still makes me think he might yet make something happen. I really can't see any other reason for his continued ownership.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that Ron simply has to make it happen, or he/and/or the club go under. This is what concerns me the most. Has chasing the dream for a decade left not only himself, but our club in a win or bust situation?

I have no problem with Ron making a few bob on any development. But, I hope if we are in a situation where new money/ownership is needed to make it happen (which surely cannot be far off the truth) Ron would give up a slice of his pie. Better to come out even than millions down and bankrupt right?

I don't blame Ron for not having the funds to finance the project. I wouldn't be able to finance a shed with 10 seats in it. But, I would like him to admit defeat and for the sake of this great club and the thousands of fans that love it like a brother, sell up or at least give up his controlling interest. New ownership, new money a new lease of life.

More trips to court and worse await us down the line unless something happens asap. There is only so long you can rob Peter to pay Paul, before Peter arms himself with a shotgun......£14m and counting in the red....with the vultures casting a patient, but very interested eye...

Simple. If Ron calls it a day now, he has been pumping money into the club for all these years for nothing. £2million in the last year alone. This is why the scheme is getting bigger and bigger. It needs to make Ron more money every year that goes by to make it viable for him. And as it gets bigger, the chances of planning permission get slimmer. He's a pretty merciless businessman and he wants a return on his investment. That's the whole point of him being involved.

As Smiffy said, it's as far away as it ever has been from happening, but Ron is going to drag us all down with him.

It's unbelievable really when you look at it in simple terms. He (or his companies) own the Roots Hall site, a prime site on the entrance to town which is not short of suitors in times of a housing crisis. He (or his companies) owns the land at Fossetts Farm. A precedent of granting planning permission for mixed use development (within reason) on the site is already set. The council are on board and have done their bit re compulsory purchase on Vic Avenue properties etc.

Yet in 16 years of trying, he has failed to build what he has promised. Staggering.

As Jam mentions, there is no planning permission for anything, be that at RH or FF. So building on either is a million miles away from happening. Certainly not next year unless something happens asap that hasn't happened in the last decade. I am still told that BL have pulled the plug on their part of the proposal, which I think was the retail side of the FF development. Without that I cannot see Ron being able to proceed with development as is. So yet another change of tactic required from him and many more months of silence to come.

At what point does a man have to hold his hands up and say the dream has gone?.....I appreciate this is his retirement fund, but I for one am not comfortable with our club being saddled with more and more debt (£14m+ on the last accounts) for him to chase the impossible dream. It is time to move aside and let someone with the means to deliver take on the project and the club in general. All we are doing at the moment is stagnating and accumulating eye watering debt. He needs to place the club up for sale, cut his losses and hopefully allow the club to move forward financially. I pray this happens soon, before we get into more strife off the pitch that we won't be able to wriggle out of this time.

I agree it has been extremely quiet concerning BL for sometime and I wouldn't be surprised if they have withdrawn from FF, however there has been no official information from them or the club. Can I ask where you have heard this from???

I agree it has been extremely quiet concerning BL for sometime and I wouldn't be surprised if they have withdrawn from FF, however there has been no official information from them or the club. Can I ask where you have heard this from???

Why would the club broadcast it? They have nothing to gain by going public about it. If they British Land have pulled out, my guess is Ron is scrabbling around trying to find someone else to finance it.

Simple. If Ron calls it a day now, he has been pumping money into the club for all these years for nothing. £2million in the last year alone. This is why the scheme is getting bigger and bigger. It needs to make Ron more money every year that goes by to make it viable for him. And as it gets bigger, the chances of planning permission get slimmer.

As Smiffy said, it's as far away as it ever has been from happening, but Ron is going to drag us all down with him.

It's unbelievable really when you look at it in simple terms. He (or his companies) own the Roots Hall site, a prime site on the entrance to town which is not short of suitors in times of a housing crisis. He (or his companies) owns the land at Fossetts Farm. A precedent of granting planning permission for mixed use development (within reason) on the site is already set. The council are on board and have done their bit re compulsory purchase on Vic Avenue properties etc.

Yet in 16 years of trying, he has failed to build what he has promised. Staggering.

Spot on Jai. But what also has me staggered is the almost nonchalant attitude shown by a large majority of our fanbase, towards the whole FF situation. Why are the fans seemingly content with this situation?

Myself, I am deeply concerned (nothing new some will say) but I genuinely am. How can a League One club (god forbid League 2 again the way we are going) with £14m of debt, losing circa. £2m a season, survive in what is a rapidly deteriorating stadium?

Why are the fans not questioning the silence, the situation?

Do they not care, or are they massively more confident than I am that FF will come off?

I really am gobsmacked with what our fanbase will tolerate, not just on the FF scenario either. I think the club can count themselves very fortunate that we appear to be a very content and won't say boo to a goose contingent. Imagine the likes of Leeds/Millwall putting up with this?....Christ even Northampton had a good old pop at their regime about the uncomplete stand.

I for one have had more than enough, I just wish there were more and we could get our heads together and discuss how something can be done about it. Until then I just hope the club survives and FF comes off. If it doesn't, well it will be too late to do anything about it.

From someone who is well connected to the club. I won't name them obviously. It could of course be inaccurate and I am not claiming it to be 100% fact, as unless it comes from Ron or the Chief at BL how can it be?

Back