• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Striker, why bother!

Elvis

With all the talk regarding the need for a new targetman, why not move a certain Mr Bentley up front, I'm sure he could do a job.... just needs to practice shooting. With all the midfielders we have at the moment it would be a shame to see "lap dancing club" on the bench. Discuss....

No way.

That's my input on this debate.
wink.gif
tounge.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are having a laugh right, Bentley is a great ball winner, good driver (with the ball, not in is car), upfront would be a disaster.

I would not try and get him to change his game, he is good at what he does.

If we were to alter, and play a man off of Freddy as surgested previously, i would use Smith or Gower, as i feel they are the only two with enough raw talent, to play one of the hardest roles in football to be good at.

I've heard worse shouts, but most of those people were shouting through a tracheotomy

oops.gif

Bentley up front? How about Griemink? It would solve the Bart/Darryl debate in one fell swoop - get em both on I say!

biggrin.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvis @ July 21 2005,19:17)]With all the talk regarding the need for a new targetman, why not move a certain Mr Bentley up front, I'm sure he could do a job.... just needs to practice shooting. With all the midfielders we have at the moment it would be a shame to see "lap dancing club" on the bench. Discuss....
Even funnier, let's get Bramble back.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ July 21 2005,19:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvis @ July 21 2005,19:17)]With all the talk regarding the need for a new targetman, why not move a certain Mr Bentley up front, I'm sure he could do a job.... just needs to practice shooting. With all the midfielders we have at the moment it would be a shame to see "lap dancing club" on the bench. Discuss....
Even funnier, let's get Bramble back.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Now then, lets try and stick to real footballers in this discussion

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Do we remember when Dublin was put up front, no not Dion but Keith . If my memory serves me right he didn't do that bad.... now shoot me down with that one.
It was also quite funny cause he didn't know what he was doing, but the away teams didn't know that and always put two defenders on him leaving the other strikers to do the business.... rememeber 4-4 at home to York

If we don't get another striker (targetman) what else we gonna do.... gower a targetman now who's having a laugh

Nope, Bentley should stick to playing in the middle of midfield, nowhere else.

Part of the reason we lost the LDV final, in my eyes, was shifting Bentley wide right. In the middle of the park, he wins flicks ons, wins the ball, wins his tackles and drives the team forward and has a fantastic engine on him, allowing him to get up and down the pitch. He isn't a centre forward, although I can see why you said that, and he isn't a winger.

Er, no.

Bentley is NOT a forward. He does a fantastic job in the middle of the park, his presence there gives us much-needed height in the middle of the park.
It's not really our style (well, it wasn't for much of last season) to lump the ball forwards for someone to knock down so in that respect height upfront is not a necessity. Also, his strkie rate in front of goal isn't the best...!

If we do play a midfielder up front, I'd go along with the suggestion of putting Jay there to play balls through...

So we get promoted to League One and we set out to buy a striker proven in the Championship... worth six figures.

We fail at that... fail at all other attempts... and we settle for a midfielder moving into a striker's position.

Bit of a desperate situation if you ask me... and signs of a team destined to struggle.

We need proven goalscoring ability if we're going to stay up.

If we don't get a decent striker, and Gray starts fading I would rather Bently on the pitch, unless he's already playing. We need a plan "B" big targetman, playing Smith/Gower is more of the same. Expand your minds.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvis @ July 22 2005,08:18)]Expand your minds.....
Expand yours and don't step on Gowers blue suede boots, Elvis.

tounge.gif

I would rather we loaned in a talented youngster from a big club. If we're so thin on the ground, the chance of firt team football would be a reality.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvis @ July 22 2005,07:18)]Expand your minds.....
Ahh, now I see. Thanks for that. Obviously it isn't that I have a different opinion that you, it's that I am closed minded.

Thanks for pointing that out.

You all seem to have the same opinion, and shame on anyone one else who thinks differently ... are you all the same person

Back