• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Striker, why bother!

How about Flahavan upfront? Oh wait too short...
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvis @ July 22 2005,10:18)]You all seem to have the same opinion,  and shame on anyone one else who thinks differently ... are you all the same person
Don't be stupid.

I don't criticise people who think differently, it's just the majority of us on here think it's not such a good idea. Bentley is not a striker and never will be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Elvis @ July 22 2005,10:18)]You all seem to have the same opinion,  and shame on anyone one else who thinks differently ... are you all the same person
Alright if you want a serious answer.

Its an important year for us, we have once chance to get it right or its back to league 2, and all of Tilly's etc hardwork will be undone.

We need more cover up front, Freddy, Wayne Gray is not enough, even with the on/off addition of Dudfield we're still short up front after losing Tes/Broughton. Bentley could be an option, but only after the addition of two more strikers preferably proven.

Would you be willing to gamble with our League 2 future on Bentley?
rock.gif

Todorov of portsmouth is available on loan, might be worth considering, only stumble will be wages

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ July 22 2005,13:38)]Todorov of portsmouth is available on loan, might be worth considering, only stumble will be wages
Probably a big stumble on the wages front, and i think he has been injured and missed the last two seasons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 22 2005,13:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tweedy @ July 22 2005,13:38)]Todorov of portsmouth is available on loan, might be worth considering, only stumble will be wages
Probably a big stumble on the wages front, and i think he has been injured and missed the last two seasons.
True but his scored in both of Portsmouth's last two friendlies, we could do worse.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 22 2005,13:54)]
[b said:
[b said:
True but his scored in both of Portsmouth's last two friendlies, we could do worse.
You are right - and he scored shed loads in Portsmouth's promotion season, but few for West Ham.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 22 2005,14:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 22 2005,13:54)]
[b said:
[b said:
You are right - and he scored shed loads in Portsmouth's promotion season, but few for West Ham.
Players, sometimes, only hit it off at certain Clubs. For example, Rebrov was one of the most feared strikers in europe when he partnered Shevchencko at Kiev, yet he has failed at both Spurs and West Ham.

If, and thats a massive if, Todorov comes to us on loan (Very unlikely I know) it would be a cracking signing as he knows where the net is and is still sticking the ball in it.

What about MK Dons Izale McLeod? A young player who in the future may have something to offer?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimptown @ July 22 2005,14:12)]What about MK Dons Izale McLeod? A young player who in the future may have something to offer?
rock.gif
Certainly seemed to score a few goals for them last season. I think that we are after two more experienced forwards. Ferdinand could possibly be one of them, as you the other one I'm completely at a loss but Tilson is yet to let us down, touch wood, so I'm fairly confident he'll bring in the right men.

Don't see nothing wrong with playing Bentley up front, he's a pro football player he should be able to play anywhere, he's paid to play anywhere Tilly wants him to play same goes to the rest of the lads.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 22 2005,14:21)]Don't see nothing wrong with playing Bentley up front, he's a pro football player he should be able to play anywhere, he's paid to play anywhere Tilly wants him to play same goes to the rest of the lads.
Well obviously, if Tilson wants Bentley to play upfront he will and he'll try his hardest for the team like he always does and so does everybody else. The thing is each position requires a different mind set and different qualities. One of Bentley's weakness is his finishing, which he displayed at home to Scunny. Now everybody is saying play him as a target man, but our style of play doesn't suit a target man. The closest we have had to a target man was Drewenaldo, and he didn't fit into the style of play because we pass and move, and rarely knock it long to the forwards head. What we need is someone to hold the ball up, and bring others into to play. Bentley, Smith or Gower isn't that man.

He's not a striker, full stop. Tilson needs to sign 1/2 natural strikers. Putting Bentley up front would just be a desperate, last resort. Anyway, if we're going to put one of our midfielders up front wouldn't it be Guttridge? I think I remember reading when he came here that he can play up front.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 22 2005,14:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimptown @ July 22 2005,14:12)]What about MK Dons Izale McLeod? A young player who in the future may have something to offer?
rock.gif
Certainly seemed to score a few goals for them last season. I think that we are after two more experienced forwards. Ferdinand could possibly be one of them, as you the other one I'm completely at a loss but Tilson is yet to let us down, touch wood, so I'm fairly confident he'll bring in the right men.
Think McCloud has just signed a new contract at Wimbledon.

With Prior, Edwards and Barrett we could have the luxury of throwing Jozic up front. Probably not the worst of options.

If we had to resort to sticking a defender up front, my choice would be Barrett.

Not purely because he knows how to attack a cross, but because he is comfortable on the ball, can drive at the opponents and play 1-2s.

There's far more to being a successful target man than having a height advantge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ July 22 2005,15:21)]Don't see nothing wrong with playing Bentley up front, he's a pro football player he should be able to play anywhere...
All due respects, but that's a very over-simplistic and naive statement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ July 22 2005,15:59)]With Prior, Edwards and Barrett we could have the luxury of throwing Jozic up front. Probably not the worst of options.
So long as we sign him before someone else does!

oops.gif
sad.gif

Bentley what a goal... Who says he can't score?
rock.gif
Rest my case!!! if he score goals like that from the edge of the area, i'm sure he can score the tap ins...

Back