• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Years Eve Planned yet??

I am seriously gob smacked at peoples negativity around my age group towards going out......if this was a forum for the over 65's i could understand it. Jeeeeez, it is true what experts say regards people being far too old before their time.

Lets not blame NYE for simply not having any desire to go out and have a good time, if you are going to blame high prices, ****ed youngsters and busy crowds, i am sorry but you get that every weekend of the year, not just on NYE.

Nothing with being "too old before their time", it's not be conned into paying huge amounts of money to "celebrate" what in reality is JUST ANOTHER DAY. In the past I've paid £15 to get into a pub just because my mates were so desperate to have a "good night" and I can bet when we woke up on Jan 1st with a sore head and empty wallet we've thought, "is that it?"

The best nights out I've had have been random - not birthdays, not Christmas Eve's, not NYE's.

Nothing with being "too old before their time", it's not be conned into paying huge amounts of money to "celebrate" what in reality is JUST ANOTHER DAY. In the past I've paid £15 to get into a pub just because my mates were so desperate to have a "good night" and I can bet when we woke up on Jan 1st with a sore head and empty wallet we've thought, "is that it?"

The best nights out I've had have been random - not birthdays, not Christmas Eve's, not NYE's.

Fair enough....i just think that £60 for a meal....drinks all night, and a live band with dancing and good surroundings is a good night out, NYE or not, i do not see why people feel the only option open is a crowded stuffy club with way over the top prices.

Anyway i think we have done the subject to death now......will let it get back on track.

agreed.

people are being mugged off for what??

went to a do few years back at £40 per person,buffet was ****e and got wrecked and a large taxi fare on top.

total cost for me and the mrs around £150 ,this was 7 years ago.

rip off.

agreed.

people are being mugged off for what??

went to a do few years back at £40 per person,buffet was ****e and got wrecked and a large taxi fare on top.

total cost for me and the mrs around £150 ,this was 7 years ago.

rip off.

They must have seen you coming

:D

Yep. You're always expected to have a great night on NYE and most of the time its pants. Prices of drinks/cabs/entry absolutely rocket out of all proportion and it's JUST ANOTHER DAY!

Hopefully I can opt to be on call and earn some dosh while you'll all paying £15 to get in a pub and dancing to Agadoo.

I am in complete agreement. There's too much pressure to have a great time. The one that did it for me was the millenium (that everyone did the wrong year anyway, but that's a different story) where all these venues put their prices up thinking that we would all pay it, and no-one did. It was then that I gave up on NYE.

The one that made me laugh was the Cafe de Paris that quoted a price of £1m to hire for millenium. Someone offered £750,000 and they turned it down. In the end they didn't get anything for it!

This year i'm hoping me and the missus and the little one will be on the South Coast. My in laws have a little house down there right on a boatyard within sight of the Isle of Wight.

Depends on whether they're going to be there or not!

One NYE many years ago I got completely legless, ended up snogging some real pig whose brace got caught on my tongue, and they have been downhill ever since.

In my yoof they never managed to live up tto the expectation, so i too have become rather cynical about them.

Me and the Mrs curled up on the settee with a few drinks and loads of crap food seems like a quite decent plan really,
TBH I have never seen the need to go overboard at having to buy another calendar...

I agree with MK, New Years eve has never really meant anything special for me. We used to go abroad for a week which was nice as you miss out on all the anti-climax that comes after boxing day. That week now is more expensive than 2 at christmas and really isn't worth it.
Two years ago we went away and had a really nice week, last year wasn't as nice. I had a evening at a local pub with the in-laws and that was nice except the fact that i moved on from guinness to Aspalls :puke
Oh and i had to catch a train at 8:05 to Leeds to watch us get beat by Oldham

This year will be a quiet family affair i think.

Bah Hambug

You'll have a top night at Marco's. Its a lively old wine bar, use to be called Pinchos until it was taken over. Old Hat are superb as well. Couple of young lads, they're friends with my sister but are excellent singing together. And if its not your style then you can just get drunk for free!

Have you told Aberdeen man that Wednesday night at Marco's is gay night ?

Personally, I hate NYE. Always have.

Can't stand all this 10 more minutes to go, enforced jollity. Why also, when I go to places week in week out, must I now pay more money to get in the door?

I must say though, the deal on here that was mentioned at the outset sounds very reasonable.

To me, I have the same problem with New Years as with Valentines Day (Oh how I hate that day...) Valentines Day people feel they have to tell the person they're with how much they love them. Why wait for a Hallmark frenzied day to do that? You should do it everyday! Same with New Years, why wait for the end of the year to have a big (overpriced and normally too crowded you can't move) night out? Just have a big night out whenever you feel like it! Plus if you plan nights out too much, they're never as good as the unexpected ones.

I think a pole is required!

There's 11 here.........

610x.jpg

Back